getting from santiago to sosua

seksek15

Sep 30, 2004
I was just wondering if anyone could help me out...I am traveling to the dominican next wednesday..to sosua. However airfare is much much cheaper when flying into santiago...which I know is semi-close to sosua. But I was wondering what kind of transportation I could get between the 2 cities (from santiago airport to anywhere in sosua or puerto plata). I have been to the dominican many times before but usually stay near the resorts..so I dont know much about the surrounding areas.
Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can take a taxi from Santiago airport to Sosua. Or you can take a taxi from airport to Caribe Tours bus terminal in Santiago, Caribe Tours to Sosua (about RD$100), taxi from Sosua Caribe Tours terminal to your hotel (RD$150). Don'rt know the taxi price from airport to Sosua or Caribe Tours bus terminal in Santiago.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
You'll need some Spanish to pull this off, but it's safe and cheap. Just be ready.

Call Servi-taxi (809-589-0000) and request a taxi from the airport to Sosua or Caribe Tours, if you'd like. Call before you come give them your arrival time and your name, and the driver will meet you there with a sign. Not sure the trip direct to Sosua will run you, but they've always given fare prices on in-town rides within santiago (never more than RD$200), as well as from the airport to centro of the bus stations (never more than RD$400).

Caribe Tours has two terminals in Santiago. One is nicer than the other, I forget the names. Both are functional and safe, and will not feel uncomfortable.

Buses leave for Sosua every :15 of the hour, i.e. 1:15, 2:15, etc. up until 8:15 p.m., I believe. Costs approx. RD$100 and takes about 90 minutes to get to Sosua. Not a particularly bad ride. Use the bathroom in the station, do not rely on the one on the bus. A/C on bus might be a bit cold.

Hope that helps.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
toneloc24 said:
You'll need some Spanish to pull this off, but it's safe and cheap. Just be ready.

Call Servi-taxi (809-589-0000) and request a taxi from the airport to Sosua or Caribe Tours, if you'd like. Call before you come give them your arrival time and your name, and the driver will meet you there with a sign. Not sure the trip direct to Sosua will run you, but they've always given fare prices on in-town rides within santiago (never more than RD$200), as well as from the airport to centro of the bus stations (never more than RD$400).

Caribe Tours has two terminals in Santiago. One is nicer than the other, I forget the names. Both are functional and safe, and will not feel uncomfortable.

Buses leave for Sosua every :15 of the hour, i.e. 1:15, 2:15, etc. up until 8:15 p.m., I believe. Costs approx. RD$100 and takes about 90 minutes to get to Sosua. Not a particularly bad ride. Use the bathroom in the station, do not rely on the one on the bus. A/C on bus might be a bit cold.

Hope that helps.

That sounds like an inexpensive way to do it. Your main problem is getting to the Carribe bus station. One you are there, it is a piece of cake. I took the bus to Sosua last week. Price was 80 pesos. Comfortable ride but a bit chilly with the AC. Bring a sweatshirt.

Don't take a taxi all the way to Sosua. Too expensive.

Larry

Last edited: