In defense of the National Police.

Dr.Roth

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 17, 2004
I read in this publication about high ranking officers having large quantities of vihicles asigned to them. When a police officer in New York gets a car asigned to him,he does not ask where does the car come from? Why should he?
The same goes for Dominican cops. They get cars asigned to them. Period.Do you think a Dominican cop is different from a New York cop? Not a chance.They don't ask.And why should they? Cops go undercover. Right?
That is why they need different cars. You do want crime to be lowered and suppresed in the Dominican Republic.Don't you?
Why must everything be labeled as corruption in D.R? To bad that prevention of crimes is not as publisized as the crimes commited.
I rather have cops cruising the country in recovered cars then having robers plundering the country.
Perhaps if the government had the money to buy the cops some cars,this would not be happening.
To give you a good example,in Jamaica the cops are short 120 cars islandwide and it takes many hours and days before the police arrive to help the population even if murders are commited.
Do you all want that in D.R.?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
How in the world can you defend the cops taking a car that has a proper owner? An owner who in many cases is still making payments on that car. That's stealing plain and simple. It makes no difference if the car was assigned to them by their superior or the president. Whoever decides to make use of that car, instead of returning it to the proper owner is a thief plain and simple.
Why am I even answering this post? Doesn't everyone in The DR know that 99.9% of the police force are thiefs, drug dealers, and criminals in general (corrupt at a minimum)?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Dr.Roth said:
I read in this publication about high ranking officers having large quantities of vihicles asigned to them. When a police officer in New York gets a car asigned to him,he does not ask where does the car come from? Why should he?
The same goes for Dominican cops. They get cars asigned to them. Period.Do you think a Dominican cop is different from a New York cop? Not a chance.They don't ask.And why should they? Cops go undercover. Right?
That is why they need different cars. You do want crime to be lowered and suppresed in the Dominican Republic.Don't you?
Why must everything be labeled as corruption in D.R? To bad that prevention of crimes is not as publisized as the crimes commited.
I rather have cops cruising the country in recovered cars then having robers plundering the country.
Perhaps if the government had the money to buy the cops some cars,this would not be happening.
To give you a good example,in Jamaica the cops are short 120 cars islandwide and it takes many hours and days before the police arrive to help the population even if murders are commited.

Give me a break!

What about the ones they stole?
What about the ones they gave out to friends and girlfriends?
Is a NY cop allowed to assign a car to his girlfriend?
Is that same NY cop allowed to make changes to that car (radio, tinted windows etc), file away the chassis #, then claim compensation when he get's caught?
Have you ever witnessed first hand the response times here?

I think you need to re-read the news over the past 2 weeks in regard to these "re-assigned" cars.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I have reservations about the word "assigned" here, these cars were better "appropriated," some officials with as many as 20 vehicles apiece, handed out to third parties -- and not little beaters either but luxury SUVs etc. Where are the cars of that murdered man's prize collection, which golo mentions in his post on the other thread?

I don't know how the OP can not see that with an attitude as such, the police are then obviously prone to working in conjunction with, not against, crime?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
We're a looooong frickin' way from New Yorkn here, "Doctor".

Don't defend the National Police, please until they at least start pretending not to the backbone of the country's organised crime. It's enough of an insult to law enforcement and the general notion of order and civilization that they call themselves police at all.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Got to be Kidding!!!!

Robert said:
Give me a break!

What about the ones they stole?
What about the ones they gave out to friends and girlfriends?
Is a NY cop allowed to assign a car to his girlfriend?
Is that same NY cop allowed to make changes to that car (radio, tinted windows etc), file away the chassis #, then claim compensation when he get's caught?
Have you ever witnessed first hand the response times here?

I think you need to re-read the news over the past 2 weeks in regard to these "re-assigned" cars.

Sorry robert, just adding to your post, I believe it was mentioned about undercover cops. When was the last time you seen a General or Colonel undercover, or a Police Chief that did not normally have a Chauffer. Tough for the driver to handle 20 cars. Get a grip Doc. read the rest of the reports.

Recovered cars belong to the owners period. Confiscated cars from crimes are another category, and not what we are talking about. :tired:

Response times? do they show up here, other than to case the place?

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Dr.Roth said:

Is this "Dr. Roth" for real? How can you compare a company car that is usually a Chevy of some kind to the luxury vehicles the dominican cops were driving around in. If you were a dominican high ranking officer you would know where the vehicle came from.

Dr.Roth

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 17, 2004
I agree, but....

I happen to agree with all the replies my thread recieved. Cops should not be crooked. BUT are there any alternatives? Instead of asking if I am for real, please write some alternate solutions to this problem. I like to read them.Anybody can be a critic but how about finding a real solution.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Dr.Roth said:
I happen to agree with all the replies my thread recieved. Cops should not be crooked. BUT are there any alternatives? Instead of asking if I am for real, please write some alternate solutions to this problem. I like to read them.Anybody can be a critic but how about finding a real solution.

Yes there is a solution, they do their job and keep their nose clean.

We are talking about the most expensive luxury SUV's. I didn't see them taking Nissan Sentra's.

Did you not notice that they all had more than one stolen car? Some of them had 15 - 20 stolen cars. Filed the vin numbers off and repainted them. Sounds like they are hard at work.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
solutions?????

Dr.Roth said:

Real jail sentences for receiving/selling stolen property??? Nothing will change unless there is punishment!! I don't care who it is, They got caught, don't just publish a few of the names, prosecute them, as should be done to anyone breaking the law.

Don't under stand why your asking for solutions? invoke the law it's really simple. :bandit:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I think Dr. Roth is implying that the cops do stuff like this, because they make meager salaries. It is true their salaries are ridiculous, but so is everyone else's in this island. For instance, my sister who's a doctor with a lot of years of study is getting paid 12,000 pesos/month to work at one of the busiest hospitals in Santo Domingo.
The fact that they make little money is no excuse to be a thief. They know exactly what they are getting into when they join the police force. Nobody is forcing them to join. If you don't like your salary then quit and do something else.
Leonel tried to start reforming the police with the forming of AMET. I believe his intentions were to continue to expand AMET until the current corrupt police force dissapears, but we all know what happened to AMET under Hippo's mis-administration.
Anyhow, there's no way to justify this behavior.

Dr.Roth

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 17, 2004
I agree but,

Yes again I agree with all your opinons. Let me asure all of you that police forces in all the caribbean countries are just as corrupt.Dominicans do not have a monopoly on police corruption. I do not know anything about AMET but I do know that Lionel Fernandez will do something about it. When he can.
How does he fire 80% of the police force? How can he prosucute all these cops? Let's face it, D.R., Jamaica,Haiti,and others have the same problems.
At least there is someone like L.Fernandez that wants to do something about it in D.R.

WINSTRIC

Jan 7, 2003
Dr.Roth said:

You Are A DOCTOR OF WHAT? You must be taking your own prescriptions!

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Dr.Roth said:
Yes again I agree with all your opinons. Let me asure all of you that police forces in all the caribbean countries are just as corrupt.Dominicans do not have a monopoly on police corruption. I do not know anything about AMET but I do know that Lionel Fernandez will do something about it. When he can.
How does he fire 80% of the police force? How can he prosucute all these cops? Let's face it, D.R., Jamaica,Haiti,and others have the same problems.
At least there is someone like L.Fernandez that wants to do something about it in D.R.

Well since it is the status quo, let's all accept it. Leonel, our savior, will fix it in due time.

How can he arrest all the cops? By using the laws they swear to up hold against them.

There is no middle of the road, either you up hold the law or you don't.

Granted life here is much more relaxed than in many countries. Even so, how do you justify letting people slide that had 15 - 20 stolen luxury cars? They had given them away as gifts. To their kids, wifes and even girl friends on the side.

You can tell me that these people should still be in power? To up hold your rights?

I guess if everyone is doing it, it is ok. I'm going to go out and start car jacking some nice new land cruisers and mercedes. Damn and to think I used to do it the hard way and actually earn money to purchase things. You learn something new everyday.

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
I guess you got what you deserve but...

You see when a cop in NYC get a car assigned , he gets a police car, no a 2003 4 wheel drive lexus or a 50,000 dollars luxyry vehicle? That is what they tryiing to tell you. For instance, If a partner say to youthat Jaguar is your new patrol car you should get suspicious. You should look for ownership papers, immportation paperworks, and ask question such as: who decided to give it to you? Why are others high ranking officer still driving that old beat up car? Why sudenly you get a new luxury vehicle. get my drift?

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
but what????

Dr.Roth said:

Are you condoning it because other places have the same problem?? How does he fire them, borrow a line from Donald Trump's tv show (your fired). They really don't do a hell of a lot anyway, Yes lionel wants to do something maybe( He did go-ahead and rebloat the gov). so there is a lot of pressure to do something, but maybe not much. I personally belive the crime rate might go down, as the crooked ones would not be protected by the police

Scorpion

Aug 5, 2004
Not valid statement

Dr.Roth said:

I don't know what you consider the Caribbean, but police forces in many islands are highly regarded, especially in drug suppression

Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, , St. Kitts ,Dominica, Grenada and Nevis, St. Lucia, and St. Vincent and the Grenadines ?All members of RSS are very competent forces, I work with them weekly.

Royal Bahamian and Turks & Caicos are quite respected also

It appears quite rude and childish to try and blame these fine men and women as "corrupt" simply because your country is rated as Cat 8 in competency for internam security forces.

Scorpion

SADFSU

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Dr.Roth said:
Let me asure all of you that police forces in all the caribbean countries are just as corrupt.

Please site your sources?

Dr.Roth said:
I do not know anything about AMET but I do know that Lionel Fernandez will do something about it. When he can.

What do you know about? I guess you have never stepped foot in the DR.

I suggest you go away and start doing a little research on Caribbean Islands and their police forces.

Apr 26, 2002
Dr.Roth said:
I know I've heard this mixture of feel-good drivel and pedantic tone somewhere before on the board. Okay, Doc, come clean. Have you posted here under another name before? "Amicus"? "OpenMindedUSA"?