Flights from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo

ElleB

Jul 10, 2004
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me, Ive done searches on the internet but cant find all the info that i need.

1) What are the flight times from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo (return)?
2) Do the they operate daily?
3) How much does a return cost?

I will be in the Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata) for 2 weeks from 26/12/04 - 9/1/05. I am trying to get to Cuba (preferably Holguin but 2nd choice is Santiago De Cuba) for 4 or 5 days during this time.

I understand that I can get a flight from Santo Domingo to Santiago De Cuba and apparently these flights are on Fridays & Mondays.

4) Are there any others?

As I live in the UK my travel agent is not able to help me with flights etc.

Who can I book these flights through or would I have to book them when I get to DR? If so, what is the likelyhood of the flights being full by the time I get there and this being the Xmas/New Year period?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The flights leave about every hour, they are operated by Metro or Caribe Tours SA, cruise at an altitude of about 7 feet at a speed of about 80 KM/h and take a few hours with snacks and air conditioning and cost about 5 dollars US.

The planes have no wings and look a lot like buses. In fact they are buses.

If there are airlines in country to fly POP to SDQ (or Herrera, the domestic airport, more likely) by the time you go there and thru the formalities and pay 20-30X as much as the bus you will be there on the bus.

Take the bus , it is a great intercity transport.

Cubana's most confusing website should have the SDQ- Cuba flight schedules, you may be right that they alternate Santiago and Havana throughout the week.
While they use modern aircraft for the Canada flights (since Canada won't allow then to use Ilyushin aircraft) I am not sure that is the case between the DR and Cuba so be advised it may be some post-Afghanistan airliner you are on.

ElleB

Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for your reply.

I would still like to know about the flights from Puerto Plata.

I'd prefer to fly than be on a bus for hours but until I get all the info ie. flights & buses then I cant make up my mind.

I still need to know who i can book the flights through aswell.

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
ElleB said:
Thanks for your reply.

I'd prefer to fly than be on a bus for hours but until I get all the info ie. flights & buses then I cant make up my mind.

There are no scheduled flights from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo. If you are sure you want to fly you can charter a small aircraft. contact AEROMDOMCA if you want to charter a three seater or a five seater. ventas@aerodomca.com
(three seater one engine planes have luggage limitations).

Take the bus..it will save you 300 dollars or so each way.
Regards

Maggiemay

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
ElleB said:
Thanks for your reply.

The point was there are no flights nor is there any practical reason to have them with a good highway and a cheap bus, and the other reasons I mentioned as the main factors. Plus you realize in these sorts of situations you wind up in a single prop Cessna with a guy with a leather helmet and scarf behind the wheel and almost no FAA type of certification or overview of the quality to boot. If there was a flight betwixt the two I wouldn't take it if it was free.

And if you add us the time from point A to point B with security and paperwork and getting there an hour before etc., how much time are you saving over the bus? Zilch.

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
ricktoronto said:
The point was there are no flights nor is there any practical reason to have them with a good highway and a cheap bus, and the other reasons I mentioned as the main factors. Plus you realize in these sorts of situations you wind up in a single prop Cessna with a guy with a leather helmet and scarf behind the wheel and almost no FAA type of certification or overview of the quality to boot. If there was a flight betwixt the two I wouldn't take it if it was free.

And if you add us the time from point A to point B with security and paperwork and getting there an hour before etc., how much time are you saving over the bus? Zilch.

Aerodomca are a reputable company, they have all the licences and permits you need...but I wouldn't pay US$300 bucks for a one hour flight (plus the travel time to the airport and hanging around etc)
Reminds me of a time when there were scheduled flights with Air Santo Domingo..my husband and I decdied to fly back and forth POP-SDQ instead of the then 4 hours driving each way. The flight was delayed an hour...after boarding and taking off we were informed by the pilot that the "direct" flight to Santo Domingo would be stopping at El Portillo, Arroyo Barril, Punta Cana and finally Santo Domingo. 5 hour after leaving the house we arrived in Santo Domingo.....not exactly the time saver we had bargained on....

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
5 hours is more than 4 hours, says Einstein

My point(s) exactly. She is a poster that wants her answer not THE answer, we see that how often, 100 times a week?

cara

Feb 21, 2003
After you get here, try AEROCARIBBEAN, they fly Santo Domingo - Santiago de Cuba on fridays and mondays.

ElleB

Jul 10, 2004
ok thanks for all your replies and putting me straight on the puerto plata to santo domingo journey.

Ive found the AeroCaribbean website now so can book the Santo Domingo - Santiago de Cuba flight directly on their website.

I will take the bus then. I was abit worried about taking a bus as i will be travelling on my own and I dont speak Spanish. :nervous:

So basically the buses run about every hour and costs about US$5
Where do I get the bus in Puerto Plata?
Does it take me straight to the airport?
Who do I book the bus with/is there a website?

Thank you.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
no such luck

ElleB said:
ok thanks for all your replies and putting me straight on the puerto plata to santo domingo journey.

Ive found the AeroCaribbean website now so can book the Santo Domingo - Santiago de Cuba flight directly on their website.

I will take the bus then. I was abit worried about taking a bus as i will be travelling on my own and I dont speak Spanish. :nervous:

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the bus does not go to the airport, and you will need to take a cab from the bus station in SD. This will cost you 3 or 4 times what you pay for the bus. The other (less expensive) option is a guagua, but from your earlier post I doubt if you'd want to try that.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
ElleB said:

Thank you.

Take a cab to the bus station in Sosua, just ask the driver and set a price beforehand, on paper if need be in pesos. It takes you to the capital (Santo Domingo City) not the airport which is 25 miles away. Take a taxi to the airport from the capital , haggling and confirming the price the same way. You book the bus by showing up before the next one and buying a ticket, same as Greyhound. If you have dough and are really terrified, take a taxi from Sosua to the SDQ airport for US$150 or so. Have you thought of flying into Santo Domingo to begin with?

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Great Idea! Why didn't I Think of That? Hey, I DID Think of That.

I think this part where she said

"I will take the bus then. I was abit worried about taking a bus as i will be travelling on my own and I dont speak Spanish. "

.......means that she is taking the bus which was advised to her 27 messages ago but a great catch to suggest that.

ElleB

Jul 10, 2004
This is turning into a bigger mission than i anticipated!! :cry: :cry:
I thought it would be so easy to just get a flight and off I go!! (i wish!)
Never mind. I might have to rethink my travel plans and maybe head off to Cuba on another date or even change my holiday.
Thanks for all your responses.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Hey, don't give up now. Taxi to the bus terminal on the north end is cheap, the bus is very nice with videos and refreshments (more than you get from Greyhound at 1/10 the price) and a taxi to the airport and you are done. No worse than NYC with a similar amount of Spanish on board. You will make it easily.

eli

Jun 10, 2003
ricktoronto said:
I think this part where she said

"I will take the bus then. I was abit worried about taking a bus as i will be travelling on my own and I dont speak Spanish. "

.......means that she is taking the bus which was advised to her 27 messages ago but a great catch to suggest that.
What a Pr$*k!!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
You know he is renowned for offrering advice that was offered many moons before. If I cared about your opinion, which I don't I'd say more.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Ouch! Swearing using symbols.

eli said:
you are still a pr*#k!!!

And apparently you are about 12 years old. Why not just say prick, look in a mirror and type, piece of cake.