Dominicans in Japan

ogro

Oct 2, 2004
I've been in Japan and there is a small Dominican community there, mostly made up of Nikkeis( descendants of Japanese immigrants that went to D.R in the 1950's) also some " netos" (the average Dominican of colonial descent, ex: Mulattoes, Blacks) that are married to the Nikkeis and went there with them. Also the ones at the different U.S military bases and the smallest are just plain civilians.

When Leonel Fernandez went there in the late 90's(don't rememebr the year), it was the first time that a Dominican president ever visited Japan,and he got very surprised with the huge welcome that he received. The Dominican Nikkeis were very happy, they always have D.R in their hearts,and talk that famous Dominican spanish " cual e la vaina loco ! no me salte con ese tigueraje !!" jajaja.

Even thou they have Japanese blood, the natives of Japan consider them " gaijin" or " outsiders". The netos are even more " foreign" because they don't even look Japanese, so the neto is the one usually getting called " gaijin". The Nikkeis don't have any Japanese culture, their culture is Dominican. They have Spanish first names, cook Dominican food and are Catholics or other form of Christianity. Unlike Europe, Japan is still very close to foreigners, so there is lots of discrimination against foreigners, specially those from Third World countries, but things are getting better in the past 10
years, because there are more foreigners than ever.

The majority of Latinos in Japan are Brazilians, followed by Peruvians, who are the largest Spanish-speaking block in Japan. Thus the Spanish language newspapers overthere are heavy with Peruvian news and topics. Peru is the dominant Hispanic culture there,so everybody almost everything you find there is " Peruvian oriented". Nevertheless, Latinos-Nikkeis and netos of all differet nationalities get together with each other and live peacefully, helping each others out.

There are a few " neto" Dominicans that have been successful there. I've heard that the owner of the famous " salsa caribe club" in Tokyo is Dominican. There is one that has a club in Fukuoka, I don't remember the name. But Latin clubs have been popping out everywhere overthere,and some are Dominican -owned. In Tokyo area alone there are about 15 Latin Clubs. merengue and bachata are huge in Japan ! D.R is alot well known now because of the prominence of Dominican baseball players in the U.S and Japan. Japan is the second largest baseball market in the world after the U.S, so there are alot of Dominican baseball players making lots of money there. It is like a stepping stope to go to American MLB. I rememeber of Checo, who was a pitcher for the Hiroshima Carps,now he plays in the U.S I think.

There are some musical bands there playing for bars and clubs, one is Jose Duluc, he went to Osaka like in '99 and 2000, and stayed there ever since. He was one of the ones that made that famous Barcelo commercial back in the 80's with " chivo de la loma, quien ha vito un chivo haciendo maroma". He also was involved in producing the " Dominican root music cd" with palos, salve, congos, etc. Getting involved in rescuing deep-rooted afro-dominican music almost getting lost in the countryside and everywhere. I think he is one of the few if not the only one spreading Dominican music knowledge to the Japanese. There are also some salsa, merengue and bachata dance teachers around.

ok, sayounara

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Very interesting note, thank you

I knew there were some baseball players and a few buyers for used tires and auto parts going to Japan frequently but I had no idea that so many nisai had returned. I had heard some sad tails of some of my friends and their return to Japan. Tamioshi Sakamoto was my first Judo teacher and later became very famous as a Karate sensei. When he and his kids returned they were treated like rank outsiders, and quickly returned to the DR.

Very informative post, so thank you.

HB who wishes to return to Japan some day..

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
When i was stationed in okinawa, japan, there was a lot of peruvian and we will go to their market place and buy yucca and platanos, all the time.

LuNe_*.*

Dec 6, 2004
here a Q...

ok I have a question like always . now in the present day is the japanese youth more close to foreigners = Dominicans that may live there or are they more open to it ?

just curiosity....*_T T_T!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
What an interesting post ogro.

So there's where Jose Duluc is! Darn I thought he had been kidnapped by aliens. I have been to his concerts.

I had a Japanese-Dominican classmate from the Constanza colony when I was studying in the university. He went on to pursue his Master's in Japan (sponsored by the Japanese government). I think I heard he left Japan after that. To me he was a Dominican that looked Japanese.

carolina

Mar 23, 2002
my brother and i have always had a great facination with japan and are now planning a trip to japan.....only neither of us speak any japanese and have no idea how we're going to get through japan, but we really want to go.
the fact that there are dominicans in japan is very conforting, if anyone would like to help my brother and i in our plans, please feel free to email me.
serrot@gmail.com

--carolina

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Went to Japan as a tourist about three years ago for 12 days. Was with my husband and while we took organized tours, we also toured Kyoto on our own. We once got lost in a nice neighborhood near the Botanical Gardens and wandered and wandered around looking for where to catch the train. Interestingly very few people knew English. We finally made our way to a Police station where by sign language we were directed and among about five different agents they helped guide us back to where we could find our bearings and the train stop.

The train stop was even worse as everything was in Japanese. But the people of Japan are so kind and nice that it all was just a fun adventure.

My husband had a businessman who showed an interest in what he manufactures and took him to about five supermarkets, from small to big, for he could get an idea of what is sold in Japan in his field. Impressive how small the shopping carts are. Even the big supermarkets have smaller carts than the smallest ones that are available here.

And it is always impressive to have someone give you a gift of a package of tomatoes, or strawberries. To see grapefruit half served as an exquisite desert in a fine restaurant, or a melon to be the equivalent of fine champagne as a gift.

Also note that credit cards are not readily accepted, and the Yen and cash is king. You may have trouble finding places to exchange your dollar.

I would dare rent a car and tour Japan -- but I would take a good map with me and names of where I was headed.

It is one of the places I hope to go back to, but this time I would like to have a Japanese contact that can introduce me to family life.

Probably you could mingle with the Japanese of the Japanese Embassy here to make the acquaintance of one who could introduce you to real Japanese life.

Also, the Japanese Embassy has many cultural programs that every year send Dominicans to different immersion programs in Japan. Check into these.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Orquesta de la Luz?

Maybe I'm slightly off topic here, but reading the thread I suddenly recall a popular Japanese salsa band named Orquesta de la Luz, who would tour extensively outside of Japan, back in the eighties or nineties. Their songs were in Spanish and all, although I believe they were all ethnic Japanese. Whatever happened to them? Are they still "big in Japan?"

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Paulino said:
Maybe I'm slightly off topic here, but reading the thread I suddenly recall a popular Japanese salsa band named Orquesta de la Luz, who would tour extensively outside of Japan, back in the eighties or nineties. Their songs were in Spanish and all, although I believe they were all ethnic Japanese. Whatever happened to them? Are they still "big in Japan?"

Yes, they are still active in Japan and play at some of the local Tokyo Salsa nightclubs. It's amazing that they don't even speak Spanish.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
irishdomician said:
Almost as interesting as the 877 Dominicans living in Alaska!
There are many more than 877 Dominicans in Alaska
Just in Anchorage there are more than 5000

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
mami said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_Japan

specifically read the ethnic issues for blacks and hispanics. check out your word "gaijin" it doesn't just mean "outsiders".

gaijin means " a non-Yamato person"; also it is even applied to Yamatos that were born outside of Japan, like those Japanese Dominicans. I've been called a gaijin in the U.S. Japan is perhaps the most ethnocentric country in the world.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The Japanese culture is very exact in being in the IN or the OUT. If you have not been born, bred and educated Japanenese, you are not Japanese. An outsider can NEVER be Japanese. That is the risk they took when they went to the DR. Of course, the 1st generation was in the best position, but their children can't claim the born part, or the educated part, even if their parents are 100% Japanese blood.
They are very hard on Japanese people who look Japanese but don't speak the language. You do NOT want to be illiterate in Japan if you look Japanese.
Having lived in Japan, it was clear that we were always under the discreet scrutiny of the citizens there. I remember giving due respect to someone on the train, and out of the corner of my eye, saw the nodding approval of someone who saw it.
Being an outsider you are not bound by any of the rules of society, like bowing, or giving your seat to an older person etc. Funny to notice that Japanese people on vacation in Saipan, for example, were polite, but a bit rowdier than expected. I think the original rule of IN and OUT also applies to when you are physically in Japan too.
Like the DR, Japan is extremely relationship oriented, which makes them very compatible.
After English, though, French is the 2nd most popular language taught. Followed by Spanish.
The Japanese word for bread is "pan." FYI
mkohn

Elvismen

Aug 23, 2003
I live here married to a japanese

but dont make the mistake i maked thinking that japanese are smart or polite. and that think about "japanese culture"
Culture???

Now, that is the root of all problems and misunderstandings the world encounters when it comes to a Gaijin vs. Japanese issue.

This is not culture. Beethoven and Mozart is culture this is rubbish, sly hypocrisy.

The world fails to recognize that Japan is just an underdeveloped, barbaric, poor, miserable , violent Asian country that was forcfed with a democratic constitution, got access to the world market, dressed in suits, started making high tech stuffs with their purchased or stolen technology and were let to print tons convertible banknotes without collateral.

The westerners, especially the Europeans who got tired of their own culture turned toward the ?civilized? Fareast and expected the discovery of exotic girls, devoting relationships, ancient values and a potential consumer market of a sickly overpopulated dumb, mind controlled consumer society, where young girls would spent 70,000 yen on a valueless plastic Hermes handbag that wouldn?t be good enough not even for a free propaganda gift in Paris or where you can sell tons of Rolex wristwatches even to the poor.

The sly and cunning Japanese were quick to exploit this selfish week point of the world and the fact that pretending a civilized nation, will make the world treat Japan as a country of equal, with they culture, and started playing a role. It seems to take the world long before they are capable recognizing that it is all the lie and they are shameless, barbaric people indeed who want to be taken as equal meanwhile maintaining racism, xenophobia and gaijin hatred for filtering the stream out of jealously, for keeping their precious wild and barbaric values and their so called "culture" .
Pace

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Japan vs DR

...The westerners, especially the Europeans who got tired of their own culture turned toward the ?civilized? Fareast and expected the discovery of exotic girls, devoting relationships, ancient values and a potential consumer market of a sickly overpopulated dumb, mind controlled consumer society, where young girls would spent 70,000 yen on a valueless plastic Hermes handbag that wouldn?t be good enough not even for a free propaganda gift in Paris or where you can sell tons of Rolex wristwatches even to the poor...

Elvismen,
I agree with your observations about westerners. It is a status-conscious society. $700.00 on a purse is also true. The xenophobia, etc. is extremely true.
I guess that because you are not Japanese, your Japanese wife is not acting like she would with a Japanese husband. To her, You are probably a breath of fresh air, actually.
But, I would suggest that the same could be said for how life in the DR is viewed by outsiders too.
Exotic women and men. Insider pricing. Corrupt government. Well, absolute power corrupts absolutely in any government ... In both locations it's all about serving the man, and in business relationships, it's about who you know.
Culture shock comes in many forms, when you least expect it.
Be glad they don't expect from you the same behavour they expect of one another out in public. I know I'd be eaten alive if they expected it of me.
You might be able to write an interesting book.
Mary

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Elvismen said:
The sly and cunning Japanese were quick to exploit this selfish week point of the world and the fact that pretending a civilized nation, will make the world treat Japan as a country of equal, with they culture, and started playing a role. It seems to take the world long before they are capable recognizing that it is all the lie and they are shameless, barbaric people indeed who want to be taken as equal meanwhile maintaining racism, xenophobia and gaijin hatred for filtering the stream out of jealously, for keeping their precious wild and barbaric values and their so called "culture" .
Pace
Whoa! Way harsh, Elvismen. As one who studied Japanese language and (what you call their "so called ") culture - including living and studying in Tokyo for a year, I can say your assertions are way, way off base. It's not possible to explain why properly in this space, but I'd like to point to a few characteristics of the day to day culture of these "barbaric" people that I have experienced personally:

The Japanese people are incredibly honest and law abiding. Being a bit absent-minded, I have left my briefcase (containing an expensive camera and good quality umbrella) on the subway on more than one occaision. As I'm a New Yorker, I had no expectation of ever seeing my stuff again, however, I took a shot at going to the lost and found and every single time my bag was returned to me with all contents.

In Japan it is possible to leave one's luggage unguarded on train platforms while you go to the kiosk for a soda or newspaper. No one will take it.

Japanese storekeepers generally do not bargain. The price is the price - even if you are a gaijin. If you think you can do better, you are welcome to go elsewhere.

Japanese people do not jaywalk. Even very late at night when there is no traffic in sight they will patiently stand and wait for the light to change.

Japanese restaurants have only one menu. If a gaijin can say or just point to a dish being enjoyed by Japanese people at the next table (for example), the waiter will bring it (anyone familiar with New York's Chinatown can tell you that if you try this the waiter will become deaf, dumb, and blind).

On the famously crowded Tokyo subway, I noticed that there was not one single person - male or female - with dirty, greasy looking hair. Not surprising, since all of these "barbarians" - by strong cultural custom - bath thoroughly every day.

Please contrast the foregoing to any country you wish to name.

To those of you who have spoken of your desire to visit Japan, I encourage you to go and enjoy the modern life and ancient culture of this great country.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
why japanese hate dominicans

1. The treatment of food is extremely serious in Japan and the way we cook rice, fish and vegetables (sacraments of Ginzu, their so-called religion) could lead to a recommendation of Kamikaze (sp?) even today in modern HonKong. This unfortunate result requires the recipient to cut off his own head!

2. The obviously-popular nationalist pastime called baseball. The Official Rules of Japanese baseball says you have to offer greeting cards and cookout invitations to the opposing team members, not like here with the genitelea-scratching (sp?) and nose-blowing on your own hand we display so blissfully to our comrades of the RISING SUN!

3 If these several exsamples aren't persuading you to open your eyes enough, just hike on over to LINKS-R-US.com and you'll either apologize or fall asleep, HA,HA!!

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
the main similarities

1. We breathe nitrogen, oxygen and a little bit of something else.
2. Similar number of arms, legs, ekcetera.
3. Deep appreciation and respect for N. American cultural stuff.
4. Similar gravitational field, colors, smells, etc.
5. That's about it.;)

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
6. Oh, yeah- we give birth to live young, mammalian style.
Apart from these amazing similarities, not too much scientific data links us, directly speaking, except for the obvious WWII revisionism.