Mobile Phones

nickcfc

Sep 21, 2004
www.carpgallery.com
Hi,
Am travelling to the Dominican Republic in October from the UK .

Does the Island have any mobile phone coverage?

Will my tri-band mobile phone work?

(we are staying near La Romana)

thanks,

Nick. ;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
nickcfc said:
Hi,

Will my tri-band mobile phone work?

(we are staying near La Romana)

thanks,

Nick. ;)

Note your roaming charges the first day may exceed the cost of buying a new phone and using calling cards when you try this. There are about 8 million threads on this subject for some research.

pas

Jun 7, 2004
yes better get a sim card from orange..
and put it in your phone..
i always do that

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Verizon option

Another option is to purchase an inexpensive phone frome Verizon. They currently have a Nokia for 600RD and a Qualcom for 635. I bought the Qualcom, and it works great. You then purchase a 250RD card to activate it right there in the store. Less than RD900, with enough minutes to last you a while. Opinions vary, but if you plan on venturing outside major metropolitan areas or highways, the Verizon network, which includes both analog and digital CDMA, is generally regarded to be more extensive than the all digital GSM coverage of Orange. If you are a frequent visitor like me, you can leave the phone with a friend and they can keep it activated by adding a 50RD card monthly. You then have a phone, and your same digets when you return.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
sweetdbt said:
Another option is to purchase an inexpensive phone frome Verizon. They currently have a Nokia for 600RD and a Qualcom for 635. I bought the Qualcom, and it works great. You then purchase a 250RD card to activate it right there in the store. Less than RD900, with enough minutes to last you a while. Opinions vary, but if you plan on venturing outside major metropolitan areas or highways, the Verizon network, which includes both analog and digital CDMA, is generally regarded to be more extensive than the all digital GSM coverage of Orange. If you are a frequent visitor like me, you can leave the phone with a friend and they can keep it activated by adding a 50RD card monthly. You then have a phone, and your same digets when you return.

Which model Qualcomm was that? That is a really good price. I agree Verizon ( the old Codetel) seems to me to have a clearer signal when I call down to the DR and more coverage - and at RD$600 the phone is cheaper than the cheapest new Orange I have seen.

You can even start with an RD$100 card, also you don't need to put in RD$50 every month (I don't think they have RD$50 cards any more) - a card for say RD$250 at once gives you RD$300 from Verizon, and is good for 70 days. After that expires the number is good for at least 90 days to receive calls (you always receive for free) before you are at risk of losing the account. So after the fill the first time, you should be good for close to 5 months, then RD$100 every few months will keep the number.

Frankly if you can't come back in at least 5 months the phone might be better as a gift to someone who could use it when you go.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
nickcfc said:
Hi,

Nick. ;)

this is very FUNNY! lol! does the Island have any Phone coverage LOL!

Holy shizzznitzzz!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Which model Qualcomm was that? That is a really good price. I agree Verizon ( the old Codetel) seems to me to have a clearer signal when I call down to the DR and more coverage - and at RD$600 the phone is cheaper than the cheapest new Orange I have seen.

You can even start with an RD$100 card, also you don't need to put in RD$50 every month (I don't think they have RD$50 cards any more) - a card for say RD$250 at once gives you RD$300 from Verizon, and is good for 70 days. After that expires the number is good for at least 90 days to receive calls (you always receive for free) before you are at risk of losing the account. So after the fill the first time, you should be good for close to 5 months, then RD$100 every few months will keep the number.

Frankly if you can't come back in at least 5 months the phone might be better as a gift to someone who could use it when you go.

Ricktoronto,

Well, you have further educated me! I was told by my expat friend in PP that it is necessary to add pesos every 30 days (perhaps it used to be that way?) They do still have the 50RD cards, and I bought a few to leave with him last month. I think there may still be an advantage to this, as I will not lose any pesos left on the phone after 70 days, but It's good to know that If I am returning within 5 months I would have the option of taking the phone with me. This would be useful if I were to fly home from SD for instance, and wanted to spend some time in the capitol or elsewhere in the south part of the country. I would be able to keep the phone with me and stay in touch for the remainder of the trip. No danger of losing the account. I can't stay away for 5 months! ;)

Sorry, I can't remember the model number of the Qualcom. I bought it at the satellite Verizon store in the Western Union on the carretera in PP.