Driving SDQ to Las Terranas

Crazy Horse

Oct 5, 2004
I?m making a trip the end of February and going to Semana with my wife and another couple. Taking AA into SDQ that arrives 11:36AM. I have read all the Horror stories about driving in DR and have experienced it on a tour ride from POP a couple of years ago. I drive a 18 wheeler around the NYC area and have driven all over Mexico including DF. No where can be worse than cuidad de Mexico.
My question is by the time we get through customs and get our car will we have enough time to get to Las Terranas before dark. We are arriving on a Monday and was wondering how much of a cluster F.. it is getting out SDQ and through SD. What is the best route. I hear it is a 4 hour ride. What are my chances getting hit up by la policia? What time does it get dark at the end of February?
I?m not really all that exited about making this drive but like the option of having a 4WD to get tool around Semana. Don?t really want to spend the night in SD and start in morning. But I guess taking a cab or a charter flight is a possibility and then rent a Jeep in Las Terranas, but this would cost us more of course. Hablo un poco espanola or enough to get by.
Any Help would be appreciated.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My first thought is why not fly into Santiago?

That said, the trip is pretty easy with just two areas of concern because of the turnoffs.

It gets dark around 6:15-6:30 more or less. I am sure that you can look itup in some site.

Anyway going from the airport to Saman? is mot very hard.

Follow the signs to Santo Domingo-There are two tolls so have some money ready.__From Santiago , there are no tolls.

As you come over the bridge into Santo Domingo look for signs that say ELEVADO and take that. When you reach the big archway with a huge flag flying go to the right(Avenida Luperon). When you go under the highway, again to the right and up onto the highway. (Closest thing we have to a cloverleaf here)

Follow the highway until you see a sign to San Francisco de Macoris, turn right off the highway(It is just past a TEXACO station). Follow that road for about 20-25 minutes into SFM.
Watch for signs that say NAGUA, you will bear to the right and cross the town. At the end of the street turn right for the highway to Nagua. As you get to Nagua, you have to watch for signs that say SANCHEZ. Tthere is a triangular intersection and you bear to the right. That road takes you to Sanchez.

As you get to Sanchez, you will bear to the left, go up a rise and hit the road to Samana. The turn-off for Las Terrenas will be about two or three minutes later on your left.

Good luck and have fun!!

HB :D:D

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
A "rise" from Sanchez to LT?

Ye Gods, HB, I'd hate to see what you call a hill! We had to stop on a bend once on that "rise" because a Presidente truck, of all things, had broken a drive shaft. I made the mistake of trying to take off 2 up on the moto. Mucho smoke & goodbye clutch. On the plus side, I shared a few frias with some neat guys at the gas station at the intersection, sent La Bruja off on a concho, & eventually bummed a ride on a bus driven by one Sr. Rafael Bock from LT. If anyone ever meets that gentleman, please give him my regards.

How about the gentle slope from Playa Colorada up to the Rincon road? Stan.

I just figured it out. Duh. I agree with you, it is just a rise. Then comes the hill from the Samana road over to LT. Stan.

Last edited:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Driving in the DR during daylight is not too bad, except for SD and STI. Outside the 2 main cities, traffic is not really busy and the road from SD over San Francisco de Macoris to Sanchez is good. The only part where you need to be careful is the winding road from Sanchez over the mountain to Las Terrenas which still is in very bad condition.
Bartolomeo

Crazy Horse

Oct 5, 2004
thanks for info

HB and all. thanks for all the info. Flying into SDQ because of price and schedule. Also when I was planning trip we were going to stay around bahahibe. Enough said but plans changed and we are doing a week at the Playa Colibri in Las Terrenas, with a couple of days in SD at end of trip.
Thanks everyone for the help.

Dewey & Sue

Sep 15, 2004
Driving Not Bad at All

We just drove from Las Terrenas to Santo Domingo (and then on to Punta Cana) last Sunday and it wasn't bad at all. We made Las Terrenas to Santo Domingo in 3 1/2 hours, granted we left Las Terrenas at 615a and it was a Sunday morning, so you should be fine.