dominican holidays anyone?

mk-ultra

Sep 13, 2004
does anyone have a link to the 2005 official dominican holidays? or you know where i can look for a list of the dates?

thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is some help

Jan 1 is a Saturday
Jan 6 is a Thursday Church day so it does not change)
Jan 21 is a Friday (Church Day)
Jan 26 is a Wednesday, and will be celebrated on the 24th (Monday) Duarte birthday

No holidays in February

March 24-Holy Thursday
March 25-Good Friday

May 1 is a Sunday
May 26 is Corpus Cristi , a Thursday and everyone makes it a long weekend

No holidays in June or July
August 16th is a Tuesday and will probably be celebrated on Monday, since it is not an "Inaugural Day" 16th like this year.

Sept 24 is a Saturday
November 6 (Constitution Day) is a Sunday

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day fall on a Saturday and Sunday.

Hope this helps

HB :D:D

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Which specific dates are you most interested in knowing about?

For an official calendar we need to wait until the Ministry of Labor releases the final dates of the days that will be pushed over to Mondays and Fridays.
That usually is released in December.

We could advance on specific holidays now, though, subject to confirmation of the Ministry of Labor.

mk-ultra

Sep 13, 2004
WOW!!! hillbilly do you work for the ministry of labor??? ;)

thanks. that helps a lot. i was most interested in duarte's b'day and wanting to know when are the long weekends? this list helps. i'll wait till december for more dates.

thanks again.

peace

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Less in 2005 than in 2004:

Thursday, 6 January/Sunday, 9 January -- because people that can will take off Friday. (Epiphany Day falls on 6 January)

Friday, 21 January- Sunday, 23 January (Dia de la Altagracia -- religious holiday)

Restoration Day (falls on 16 August, a Tuesday that will be moved to Monday). 12-15 August long weekend.

Easter Weekend. Thursday 24 March through Sunday, 26 March. Good Friday is the holiday that falls on 25 March.

Corpus Christi weekend (falls on 26 May a Thursday). Will be Thursday 26 May through Sunday, 29 May (Mother's Day).

New Year's Long Weekend. Friday, 30 December through Sunday, 1 January.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
February 27 not a holiday then

I always thought, or took for granted, that February 27th was a holiday too. Obviously I was wrong.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't Forget The "Un-Official Holiday Season!

It will start about 15 December,and run through january 10th.,this year! Dominicans that actually have a job,I hesitate to say "Work",will receive their "Doble Sweldo","Christmas Bonus",on,or about,15 December.Very few will show up at their job site after they have money in their pockets! Next is Christmas Eve,and Christmas Day(Not that big a deal here,but great excuses to get drunk,as if one is needed here!)Good Meals though!
Moving on we have New Years Eve.This is a BIG DEAL here! You HAVE to go out,and stay out til past dawn getting really "Knee Walking" drunk!!!
Now most of the "Civilized World" at least makes an "attempt" to get back to work,theres that "word" again!",the day after "New Years",but NOT HERE!
You still have January 6th.,"Three Kings Day" The day you give gifts to all the children,if you have any money left after being drunk for more that 2 weeks!
January 6th.,falls on a Thursday this year,"Perfect"! Kids and teachers NEVER go back to school until at least the 9th. of January anyway,and this year they will all wait until Monday the 10th.!So will ther parents!
So,there you have it! How Dominicans can "s-t-r-e-t-c-h" three Holidays,out to 25 days of drinking,eating,dancing,and you-know-WHATing"!
Next comes "Holy Week",which should just be call "Go To The Beach and Stay Drunk Week!"Usually 300 to 500 men,women,and children will be killed that week! Car/Bus wrecks,drownings,alcohol poisoning,guns/knives,and just "Old Fashioned","Beating Eachother To Death"! Has to be seen to be believed!!!!!!!
"God I Love This Place!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Criss Colon said:
It will start about 15 December,and run through january 10th.,this year! Dominicans that actually have a job,I hesitate to say "Work",will receive their "Doble Sweldo","Christmas Bonus",on,or about,15 December.Very few will show up at their job site after they have money in their pockets! Next is Christmas Eve,and Christmas Day(Not that big a deal here,but great excuses to get drunk,as if one is needed here!)Good Meals though!
Moving on we have New Years Eve.This is a BIG DEAL here! You HAVE to go out,and stay out til past dawn getting really "Knee Walking" drunk!!!
Now most of the "Civilized World" at least makes an "attempt" to get back to work,theres that "word" again!",the day after "New Years",but NOT HERE!
You still have January 6th.,"Three Kings Day" The day you give gifts to all the children,if you have any money left after being drunk for more that 2 weeks!
January 6th.,falls on a Thursday this year,"Perfect"! Kids and teachers NEVER go back to school until at least the 9th. of January anyway,and this year they will all wait until Monday the 10th.!So will ther parents!
So,there you have it! How Dominicans can "s-t-r-e-t-c-h" three Holidays,out to 25 days of drinking,eating,dancing,and you-know-WHATing"!

I guess since my work ethic is a bit different from most Dominicans, I can't recall a December 31st that I didn't work while I lived there, except for 1995.......for every single one, I was back at work on the 2nd....I was there for the 1999-2000 New Years celebration, in damn Antena Latina until 11:30 PM thinking that I was going to miss out on at least some rest for my birthday on the 1st and also all the damn cab drivers were out drinking and I couldn't get any friends to come by and scoop me up and you sure as hell know that there was no public transportation available because they were drunk as well. Every holiday and weekend is considered time off for most Dominicans. However, CC, you complain about people acting crazy for 25 days and having sex everywhere but you partake in these same activities......don't knock it as if you didn't do it too. I do understand your point though about all those freakin holidays and the drinking going on

URock

Feb 10, 2003
Criss Colon said:
"God I Love This Place!"

Is this REALLY a true description of what goes on there? If so, I need to explore the possibility of incorporating this type of "holiday season" into my Canadian christmas. I mean right now I only get a weeks worth of drinking, etc.. It's just not fair!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sad but true :) Christmas lasts a month here, sometimes longer.
Forget trying to get anything done that requires someone to make an effort between Dec 10 and Jan 10.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Paulino said:
I always thought, or took for granted, that February 27th was a holiday too. Obviously I was wrong.

It's a holiday but since in 2005 it falls on a Sunday it doesn't count. ;)

By the way, there are even more holidays that don't count in 2005 because they fall on weekends. The others are:

Saturday, 1 January. New Year's Day.
Saturday, 24 September. Day of Our Lady of Mercedes.

Worse still:

Sunday, 1 May: Labor Day
Sunday, 6 November: Constitution Day.

So, in 2005 there will be three less off days, if you add in 27 February falling also on a Sunday.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Robert said:
Sad but true :) Christmas lasts a month here, sometimes longer.
Forget trying to get anything done that requires someone to make an effort between Dec 10 and Jan 10.

Hey, I managed to get a TV in a repair shop during Xmas week last December and got it back in 3 days.....record time for anything in DR :eek: ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Somebody Asked About Holidays In 2005

sO, fyi, HERE IS THE OFFICIAL CALENDER OF HOLIDAYS, COURTESY OF YESTERDAY'S PAPER AND THE mINISTRY OF lABOR.

Sorry, thought I had clicked off the Caps Lock>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here are the holidays that will be changed:

Jan 6 (Three Kings Day), falls on Thursday and that day wil be a work day. The holiday is transferred over to Monday 10 January

26 Jan--Duarte's Birthday is a Wednesday. Moved to Monday 24 Jan

1 May is a Sunday, so, 2 May, a Monday is a holiday

16 August is a Tuesday so it is moved to 15 August, a Monday

Those are the ONLY changes. All the other Holidays are as I posted before.

HB