Fruit Name..help?????

KelleJ507

Aug 4, 2004
Hi,

I came to Dominican Republic a couple of weeks ago and stayed in Paraiso Del Sol hotel. Everyday they served this fruit up which was really really nice! Just wondered if anybody can help me with what it is called please. I'll try my best to describe it....

It was orange, cut into like longish chunks, quite soft! erm....this is really hard to describe!! :)

Anyone help please??

Thanks,
Kelle :nervous:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
if that's all you can say about it, then it doesn't look like it did much for you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That description

Sounds like "lechosa" what is commonly called "Papaya" in other parts.

Glad you liked it.

HB :D:D

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
From the description given it could be either papaya or mango!

Was the texture like cantelope or more like a peach or nectarine?

If like a melon it would definitely be papaya (lechosa) however if like a peach or soft nectarine it would be a mango!
Was the flavour akin to eating a sweet fruit salad in a bite? if so you ate a mango!
Was the flavour delicate? Similar to "prickly pear" if you've ever tried them? Then you ate papaya.......

Hope this helps you dtermine what exactly it was!

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
I may be wrong here, but isn't "longish chunks" an oxymoron. According to Merriam-Webster a chunk is defined as "a SHORT thick piece or lump." I've seen papaya served as chunks. I've seen Mango served as long strips.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Hillbilly

Hillbilly said:
Sounds like "lechosa" what is commonly called "Papaya" in other parts.

Glad you liked it.

HB :D:D

Isnt Papaya more of a pinkish color??

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
KelleJ507 said:
It was orange, cut into like longish chunks, quite soft! erm....this is really hard to describe!! :)
If it was a light coloured orange with a fibre type texture, then it was mango.
If it leaned to the red side of orange and soft like a peach, then it would be papaya, known here as lechosa.
Mangos are quite sweet and have the flavour of a cross between an orange and a peach, while papayas have a softer more delicate flavour, almost perfumy.
If it was papaya, and I believe it was as mangos are very pricey to be puting on the table at an all exclusive resort, then you should try it next time with a bit of lime squeezed on top.
It then becomes the caviar of fruits.

KelleJ507

Aug 4, 2004
Thanks for all your replies. I think what i was eating must have been a papaya. I'll have to look in the shops if they sell these in England. (i've not really heard of them before) It was a little bit pinky sometimes - when it was softer. I'm pretty certain that it wasn't mango, i'll still buy one at the shop though to try it.
Mmmmmm, my mouths watering now!! That's practically all i lived on the 2 weeks i was there!
I really miss not being there now! Not just because of the fruit!! I love Dominican Republic, can't wait to go back!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
KelleJ507 said:
Thanks for all your replies. I think what i was eating must have been a papaya. I'll have to look in the shops if they sell these in England. (i've not really heard of them before) It was a little bit pinky sometimes - when it was softer. I'm pretty certain that it wasn't mango, i'll still buy one at the shop though to try it.
Mmmmmm, my mouths watering now!! That's practically all i lived on the 2 weeks i was there!
I really miss not being there now! Not just because of the fruit!! I love Dominican Republic, can't wait to go back!!
I'm almost positive it was papaya as well.
You may find the imported ones are not quite as tasty as the ones you were eating here.
The imported ones will not be tree ripened, and this makes quite a difference.
BTW: The variety of papaya that you ate, was called Hawaian papaya, which is very different to the local criolia variety, which is yellow inside and tastes like a combination of cheap perfume and cardboard.
Don't forget to try it with a bit of lime.

jean

Oct 16, 2004
Hello, don`t know which part of England you are from, (I am originally from Nottingham, now living in the US) but you can often find tropical fruits in either an Asian or West Indian market. I usually go to the open street markets when I`m home and I know I`ve seen Papaya and Mangoes there.....enjoy.....jean