Nuclear Power for the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Toronto2inDR said:
If you ask me, Mr. Prez should stop paying millions to these generators and set up a few thousand windmills (heard GE has a sale on), invest in a whole wake of solar panels and solar heat transfer units like they use in some parts of Europe. Also set up a mandatory trade in policy for the old 2 cycle motos to trade up to 4 cycle engines?And shoot the CEO?s of the Jap companies that keep sending these bikes here when a much cleaner and no too much more expensive option is available.
I agree with much you say here, but windmills?

You know how many birds are killed yearly by windmills! On top of that, this country is filled with endangered species!

You are just asking for green peace to come and stick their noses here and put another complaint on the DR government, in addition to the constant complaint by other independent organizations about the treatment of Haitians, the pollutioning of the rivers, the blind eye given to development in fragile areas, etc.

The DR needs to build two nuclear power plants. Put them in Haiti and pay the Haitian government a royalty fee for allowing us to put them there. Those two plants would produce more than enough energy for decades to come. We can even pay Haiti for burying the wastes produced from those plants. It would be good for the DR (more clean energy) and Haiti (a new source of income), plus it will bring more jobs to that nation too.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Nal0whs said:
I agree with much you say here, but windmills?

You know how many birds are killed yearly by windmills! On top of that, this country is filled with endangered species!

You are just asking for green peace to come and stick their noses here and put another complaint on the DR government, in addition to the constant complaint by other independent organizations about the treatment of Haitians, the pollutioning of the rivers, the blind eye given to development in fragile areas, etc.

The DR needs to build two nuclear power plants. Put them in Haiti and pay the Haitian government a royalty fee for allowing us to put them there. Those two plants would produce more than enough energy for decades to come. We can even pay Haiti for burying the wastes produced from those plants. It would be good for the DR (more clean energy) and Haiti (a new source of income), plus it will bring more jobs to that nation too.

Nal0whs

I now see why other posters become agitated, you pose questions that even a 10 year old can see as silly.

Interesting statistic you bring up regarding birds. About one quarter of one million are documented killed by wind turbines each year, approximately one quarter of one billion are killed by window pane and car windshield strikes????

Nuke plant in DR or Haiti; not unless you declare war on the rest of the industrialized world and win, you just are not going to see a weapons breeding plant on Hispaniola in your lifetime

Burying the wastes? Have you read Environment 101? Pay a royalty? If they decide to offshore the power, will you attack the plants and force the US to intervene?

Your proposals are something from Alice in Wonderland

The more I read your writings (High rises in POP, nuke plants, First world is collapsing etc) the more I wonder just what type of education you have. I note that when pressed for hard answers or sources you are adept at ducking the issue?

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
About a year and a half ago the Canadian government send an envoy here to sign a trade agreement. As one of the main exports of Canada are Can-Do reactors I guessed that they?d be building one or two here. I have an uncle (nuclear engineer) who?s in China building a reactor right now?Nuclear power in the D.R?.Logical right? No way!

The US can?t have spent fuel rods anywhere near a large, poverty stricken and corruptible population in the western hemisphere especially Haiti, where there is no significant American military force and no particular need to install one. I don?t think they want to have to start checking every container of bananas for dirty bombs.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Argo said:
Nal0whs

I now see why other posters become agitated, you pose questions that even a 10 year old can see as silly.

Interesting statistic you bring up regarding birds. About one quarter of one million are documented killed by wind turbines each year, approximately one quarter of one billion are killed by window pane and car windshield strikes????

Nuke plant in DR or Haiti; not unless you declare war on the rest of the industrialized world and win, you just are not going to see a weapons breeding plant on Hispaniola in your lifetime

Burying the wastes? Have you read Environment 101? Pay a royalty? If they decide to offshore the power, will you attack the plants and force the US to intervene?

Your proposals are something from Alice in Wonderland

The more I read your writings (High rises in POP, nuke plants, First world is collapsing etc) the more I wonder just what type of education you have. I note that when pressed for hard answers or sources you are adept at ducking the issue?
Are many of you folks really that lazy?

My God almighty. Anyways, Argo I really hope you have some salt on hand, you are going to need it when you eat your own words.

Here, indulge yourself in the news about birds that you so confidently refuse to believe...

http://web.syr.edu/~bpburtt/Birds/Aug08-04.htm

BTW, I post my sources according to my objective. I have a few people on my back lately, pressuring me to show my sources. I figure, let me let them use all their power to discredit me and then, bam I wham them with the link to the source of my info, which are legitimate links.

Me adept at ducking from hard questions or sources? Hardly.

Just let some time pass, then you'll see my real motives behind my actions. ok.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Nuclear Power Plants

Argo said:

I think you might want to do some research regarding nuclear power plants. A power plant does not create weapons grade material unless specific steps are taken after the fuel rods are used. The most that can happen is the creation of a so called "dirty" bomb which will create contamination instead of an actual nuclear explosion. Nuclear power plants are worth looking at as an option for the Dominican Republic. France gets the majority of their power from these types of plants. In the big scheme of things they are not that bad. Do they create a toxic waste? Yes they do, buts it's manageable. In the case of the DR this is in reality the only solution that makes sense at this time. Solar and wind alternatives are still too expensive and the government will not give the necessary tax breaks to implement them. It could be very well that all these millions of dollars that are being given to the electrical power plants are turned right around and given to government officials to maintain the status quo.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Stay on-topic & No Pissing Matches

I split this off from the Jaragua smokestack thread, as it was completely off original topic. Stay on topic here (and elsewhere in the Environment Forum) or risk a warning. Likewise, Nal0whs and Argo need to refrain from engaging in pissing matches that are quickly sliding toward personal assaults. You guys want to get rough anad dirty, head over to the General Stuff forum. That's what it's there for. I won't warn you twice!

The Environment Forum Moderator :glasses:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
On topic

While the idea of nuclear power is ideal (in terms of efficiency, volume and minimal waste), neither DR nor Haiti have the capacity to maintain such a facility. As a former inspector, I can tell you that this issue is even a challenge within the US. The lack of capacity for maintenance and hazmat disposal are the critical factor why these plants are not a viable option for the island as a whole. The island can't even manage its own garbage let alone hazmats.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Are many of you folks really that lazy?

My God almighty. Anyways, Argo I really hope you have some salt on hand, you are going to need it when you eat your own words.

Here, indulge yourself in the news about birds that you so confidently refuse to believe...

http://web.syr.edu/~bpburtt/Birds/Aug08-04.htm

BTW, I post my sources according to my objective. I have a few people on my back lately, pressuring me to show my sources. I figure, let me let them use all their power to discredit me and then, bam I wham them with the link to the source of my info, which are legitimate links.

Me adept at ducking from hard questions or sources? Hardly.

Just let some time pass, then you'll see my real motives behind my actions. ok.

Nal0whs

I admit to being lazy, I should have found that reference as I am sure it is a standard for the field

I see you are correct, that website you linked to is without question the irrefutable defining answer to this subject

Wind energy is terrible, it is noisy, ugly and kills birds

I agree that there should be at least 6 or 7 triple reactor Graphite plants built in the DR and Haiti to provide sustainable power for the foreseeable future

How I could disagree with you I will never know

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
I can't see nuclear either but

the include url explains self contained nuclear generators. Very interesting.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/nuclear-civil-04m.html

A nuclear reactor that can meet the energy needs of developing countries without the risk that they will use the by-products to make weapons is being developed by the US Department of Energy.

I added the above (Kieth R) so you won't delete it like the last time I posted this in your forum.

I'd rather see this: Still can't believe it's true.

http://www.cleanwatts.com/default.asp?id=technology.hydrogentechnology

This would have DR significant because the DR is surrounded by water.

Oh and Nal0whs, do you actually read your own articles, cats kill a far larger percentage.

45,000 by collisions with the 15,000 wind turbines

Just for comparison, the Audubon Society estimates that about
100,000,000 birds are killed by house cats each year.

I added the missing 0 at the end.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
Leromero ? I did specify ?dirty Bomb? I never said nuclear bomb or as President Bush would say ?nucular?.

Nevertheless, the potential threat to the US mainland pails in comparison to the threat right here should Dominican truck drivers be charged with transporting spend rods to storage areas. Can you imagine an ice cold Presidente in one hand as they drive right smack dab down the middle of Santiago?What am I saying, they?d probably just hire a few motoconchos, put the rods on their laps and here?s 10 Pesos, just chuck?em in the river!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There Is No Need For a Nuclear Power Plant Here!

In fact,just mentioning "Nuclear Power plant".and the Dominican Republic in the same sentence is "SCARY"!
There is enough generating capacity here NOW! Problems here are self-made.Starting with the fact that 50% of the power produced,is never,"paid For"!The Government hardly pays for any of it's consumption,and they are afraid to make the "poor people" pay ANYTHING,for political reasons.
I would sooner give my 2 year old daughter a bag of double edged razor blades to play with,than see "Nuclear Power Generation" in the DR! Hell,they can't even distribute water!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
About a year and a half ago the Canadian government send an envoy here

Early in Antonio Guzman's administration (1978-1982), as assistant to the special advisor to the president, our office processed an offer by the Atomic Energy of Canada to build a can-do reactor (600 MW) in Cabo Rojo, which they would finance and run...

Mirador

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Criss

I think the consensus is a resounding 'NO' on nuclear. The wind turbines would have promise, except for Nal0whs birds. I think from his article he's wants everyone to kill their cat. (No stay cats threads please)

But the thought of the razor blade thingy does scare me.

Oh and , not to judge, but aren't you one of them that does not pay for electricity?

We do not have to get into why here, I think most understand.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Should this or any goverment seriously consider this nonsense I'll be the first to grab a yola... and not to Puerto Rico as it is too close.

But I can see the possibilities:

"Come to the Dominican Republic, the glowing country in the Caribbean!"
"The Dominican Republic. Like Chernobyl but with better beaches"
"Enjoy the sun. Go home with a life-long tan"

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
without cheap energy the DR is out the ball game, and we would have to resign ourselves to just being 'cueros, bachateros, and peloteros', which is ok for a lot of foreigners who want to keep the DR their playground, and don't want the DR to be a modern, industrialized society...Actually, we have no option but to go nuclear...

Mirador

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Mirador said:
without cheap energy the DR is out the ball game, and we would have to resign ourselves to just being 'cueros, bachateros, and peloteros', which is ok for a lot of foreigners who want to keep the DR their playground, and don't want the DR to be a modern, industrialized society...Actually, we have no option but to go nuclear...

Mirador

This is sad to see...Boy do I miss Balaguer! He was on the path to making this country almost completly independent as far as energy goes with massive hydro-electric projects. We had more than enough potential power in our rivers to do this. Today not only is hydro-power on a back burner, but the ones that were built (without having to borrow abroad), are not being maintained, our precious rivers are also being depleted by deforestation, and mis-used by a barbaric population of savage monkeys.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I thought Balaguer WAS the major reason why we today don't have reliable power. Do you know that at one time (Trujillo's time) we used to have very reliable, inexpensive power in The DR? Ever since Balaguer took control we started going the path that took us to where we are today.
Balaguer will be remembered as the guy that could have done a lot for this country and instead chose to just do enough to remain in power, including encouraging corruption, armed bands of criminals, etc...He IS the main reason we are where are today...

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
suarezn said:
I thought Balaguer WAS the major reason why we today don't have reliable power. Do you know that at one time (Trujillo's time) we used to have very reliable, inexpensive power in The DR? Ever since Balaguer took control we started going the path that took us to where we are today.
Balaguer will be remembered as the guy that could have done a lot for this country and instead chose to just do enough to remain in power, including encouraging corruption, armed bands of criminals, etc...He IS the main reason we are where are today...

Do your homework.

I did not mention Balaguer to get into a political debate..Your personal opinion has no bearing on the fact that not one penny was invested in power generation in 12 years of PRD rule and the past PLD government only ushered in the capitolization process, not a penny spent as well.

After the 8 year PRD term in the 80's the country was left with all of CDE's power plants in shambles and not a penny invested in Hydro-electric or conventional power..Balaguer's government had to basically accept "less than acceptable" contractual conditions to get investments in the early 90's for power.

Far from talking about nuclear power why don't we make a political commitment to take care of existing hydro power and look to expand it?

Status
Not open for further replies.