1st time in dr

busterbaggs

Oct 7, 2004
i am going to puerto plata in nov. for the first time.
i will be with a group of 8. we are staying in the marien coral by hilton.
does anyone have opinions on this hotel?
what floor has the best room/view. is it really too much seaweed to swim
in the ocean? are all the alcoholic beverages "local" brands. what should i bring for the school children (great idea)!
any response will be appreciated.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
busterbaggs said:
i am going to puerto plata in nov. for the first time.
i will be with a group of 8. we are staying in the marien coral by hilton.
does anyone have opinions on this hotel?
what floor has the best room/view. is it really too much seaweed to swim
in the ocean? are all the alcoholic beverages "local" brands. what should i bring for the school children (great idea)!
any response will be appreciated.

Go to the main page "resort reviews"
Do a search under the hotel name
Do a search under Puerto Plata
You can drink whatever you desire, no problem, but you'll pay more, so when in Rome
MONEY, bring the kids coins, bubblegum, they'll take anything

Have a safe trip

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Paraphrasing a Toyota ad with Darrel Waltrip

It a big nice hotel. What's not to like?

As for what you drink: A trip into town ($RD10 by guagua) will get you fifths of very good rum for about RD$130 (more or less) That's about $4.00 in real money. Get a bag of limes and some cokes and drink Cuba Libres until the cows come home. Or be a real "man" and drink the rum with soda water or on the rocks.

As for the school kids: Spiral notebooks, rubber erasers, small pencil sharpeners, rulers, pencils. Cheap ball points. Crayons and coloring books and chalk and erasers for the teachers. Maybe a nice small looseleaf with lots of paper refills.

Have a blast.

HB :D

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
busterbaggs said:
are all the alcoholic beverages "local" brands?

The alcoholic drinks that are part of your AI deal will be locally produced - the beer is good though (Presidente). If you want 'brand name' drinks (e.g - JD) then you have to pay.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Hey there--
I stay at the Coral all the time, and love it, heading back there in 15 more sleeps!

I prefer buliding three, it's far enough from the disco so you don't hear the booming all night long, but in the middle of the resort close to the beach, and restaurants etc....

The beach isn't Punta Cana white sand, but it is a nice beach, a bit darker sand. Although it isn't crystal clear water, it is a nice beach not too much seaweed. Althought it depends on the weather, if it's rainy and stormy bwefore you go, then there might be a bit of seaweed, which you would get from any beach.... that is brought in by the tide, but I don't find it gross to swim in, it is clear enough not to get tangled in the seaweed!

At the resort the all inclusive is local drinks, but I prefer those then the international drinks. There are some international drinks avail, at an extra fee. But I find the local alcohol, is nice and sweet, and goes down well! If you are looking to purchase to bring home go into the town to buy it, rather then on the resort or on Playa Dorada, b/c it's more expensive. (still cheap to us, but hey if you can save some money why not?)

The school supplies, whatever children would require at school at home...the normal...pens, pencils,loose leaf, crayons, colored pencils, erasers, spriral books chalk, chalk board erasers, spanish-english dictionaries..etc....

Let me know if you have any other questions...
lisa