budget hotels in Santiago

aubrey76

Oct 8, 2004
I'm travelling to the DR in December and I will be flying into Santiago. Before moving on to Puerto Plata, I'm waiting in Santiago for a friend to arrive a day and a half later. Can anyone recommend 1) an inexpensive place to stay in Santiago and 2) safest mode of transportation from the airport for a woman by herself (I get in at 2am)? Also, is there anything I really must see/do during my short time in Santiago?

Thanks.

M

misterchicago40

PLEASE Chirimoya dont delete this or ban me here,, I have heard from a footprints books that there are cheap places in Centro Santiago by the plaza duarte,, Yes I am responding to an old post thread here cause I am in need of here,, I am no troll either,, I am not Rich I am just above a backpacker styling man,,, No Hippie Garbage or drugs for me just a simple place to stay in Santiago for under 15 and please no attacks on me asking this price fair is fair ok...

joel spencer

Dec 29, 2003
What you want doesn't exist.
It doesn't exist.
It doesn't exist.
It doesn't exist.
It doesn't exist.
It doesn't exist.It doesn't exist.It doesn't exist.It doesn't exist.It doesn't exist.It doesn't exist.It doesn't exist.It doesn't exist.

Got it? It doesn't exist.

Canela21

Oct 29, 2008
Hi Aubrey,

If you're getting in at 2AM, then a taxi is your best bet. Traveling by taxi is reasonably safe, just make sure it's legit (has tags and whatnot). One thing is when a taxista approaches you, make sure you confirm the price before you get in, or they might try to rip you off when you it's time to pay. I think the normal price is about $300 from the airport? I'm not sure, I've haven't taken a taxi from the airport in a long time, but there was a recent thread about this, do a quick search to be sure...

Cheapest hotel will probably be Hotel Colonial, in the downtown area. It's pretty no-frills and basic, but it's cheap and comfortable enough for a quick lay-over.

Must-sees? Hmm, the Monument, the downtown area in general, Mercado Modelo for souveniers, Centro Leon...I'm sure people will chime in with more, I can't think tonight, sorry :)

Sep 19, 2005
Hi Aubrey,

If you're getting in at 2AM, then a taxi is your best bet. Traveling by taxi is reasonably safe, just make sure it's legit (has tags and whatnot). One thing is when a taxista approaches you, make sure you confirm the price before you get in, or they might try to rip you off when you it's time to pay. I think the normal price is about $300 from the airport? I'm not sure, I've haven't taken a taxi from the airport in a long time, but there was a recent thread about this, do a quick search to be sure...

Cheapest hotel will probably be Hotel Colonial, in the downtown area. It's pretty no-frills and basic, but it's cheap and comfortable enough for a quick lay-over.

Must-sees? Hmm, the Monument, the downtown area in general, Mercado Modelo for souveniers, Centro Leon...I'm sure people will chime in with more, I can't think tonight, sorry :)

dont try and talk to Aubrey, she posted once FOUR YEARS AGO and she never came back.............

bad bad bob

Fuddzie

Dec 3, 2008
Hi Aubrey,

Hotel Colonial receives very high mark from sevearl sources despite it's $27 US per night charge. However, I don't know how far it is from downtown, monument or bus station.

Canela21

Oct 29, 2008
dont try and talk to Aubrey, she posted once FOUR YEARS AGO and she never came back.............

bad bad bob

LOL! I didn't even realize this thread was revived thanks to our friend misterchicago...shoulda known. I was wondering why someone was asking this again haha.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
It's a dump.
which one is a dump? The hotel colonial consist of three hotels.Yea one is a dump,but i have friends who stay at one of the newer ones and they are not that bad.The neighborhood is not the best but my friends have never had any problems.You get what you pay for.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
which one is a dump? The hotel colonial consist of three hotels.Yea one is a dump,but i have friends who stay at one of the newer ones and they are not that bad.The neighborhood is not the best but my friends have never had any problems.You get what you pay for.
Two are a dump. The third I have not tried. At $27US (according to post #6), you may no longer be "getting what you pay for". A couple of years ago it cost $18US.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I repeat: I had a bunck of New York State teachers (females) and high school kids (boys, girls and some confused ones). All enjoyed the place, the breakfast, in fact the whole scene...

Until Jet Blue really screwed up the whole thing!!

Anyway the hotel was fine...

HB

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I repeat: I had a bunck of New York State teachers (females) and high school kids (boys, girls and some confused ones). All enjoyed the place, the breakfast, in fact the whole scene...

Until Jet Blue really screwed up the whole thing!!

Anyway the hotel was fine...

HB
I had a friend at the hotel at the same time they were there.The problem wasnt jet blue,it was the planes delayed due to the weather problems in the states.I think the students left on a sunday..i remember i headed back for a visit to new york the next day and jet lue was still running late.

For the money i personally dont know of a better located cheap hotel.If you want to pay $50-$150,its not the hotel for you.theres not much in santiago for under $30 with security and 24 hour clerks.

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
True, Frank

Yes, it is a DUMP... or you could stay at my house for FREE, which is probably even more of a dump, though culturally VERY interesting... Who are you??

titanjones

Dec 16, 2008
Aloha Soul

Best hotel to goto in Aloha Soul right in the middle of downtown santiago. like 50 USD a night. and Super nice.

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
I can recommend the "Hotel Colonial" in the Salvador Cucurullo with 30 de Marzo. They have 3 different buildings in different categories. The cheapest ones around 500 Peso up to 1400 Peso for the newest and most comfortables ones.

The owners Victor and his son Lazaro give a great service!

Also it is quite near to everything interesting (Monumental area, Calle del Sol, different guagua routes,...).

Stayed there a lot and liked it!