Merengue Y Bachata

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
I was wondering if there are some radio station from the D.R that you can listen to online? please provide me with the links if there are any.

Lesley I know you can help me out on this one. ;)

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Hola Jozee74,

I think this should be in the general forum....

but anyway I will have to get back to you if you don't get any responses because the only internet radio station that I listen to is bachata106.com and it's not from the DR. Nevertheless it's great. It plays mostly bachata and the odd merengue here and there. I am a music collector so I have all original cds that's why I seldomly tune in but I will see what I can find.

-Lesley D

Jozee74 said:
I was wondering if there are some radio station from the D.R that you can listen to online? please provide me with the links if there are any.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Thank you

Lesley D said:
Hola Jozee74,

I think this should be in the general forum....

but anyway I will have to get back to you if you don't get any responses because the only internet radio station that I listen to is bachata106.com and it's not from the DR. Nevertheless it's great. It plays mostly bachata and the odd merengue here and there. I am a music collector so I have all original cds that's why I seldomly tune in but I will see what I can find.

-Lesley D

I know I posted it in the wrong forum accidentally. :cross-eye Hey I went to that site I like it thanx.

Last edited:

NubeLuz

Jul 23, 2004
Try this one !!!

Hi Joz?e,
Try, www.radio-locator.com go under worldwide or international (something like that) and select Dominican Republic as Country. You'll find a whole bunch.
NubeLuz -xxx-

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Some recommended cds....

To : Nubeluz, Jozee74, Bartolomeo67, Trina, Music and Talldrink and anybody else who appreciates nice bachata....

It's been a while since I have been this enthusiastic about album but to my fellow DR1 bachata aficionados I highly recommend Wilbert Manuel's- "el chico malo" new release. I listened to the album this morning and what a delight! This bachatero is definitely underrated and should get more attention. This album "La sigo amando" is his second release and believe me no sophomore jinx here. If anything this bachata has the potential to keep the genre on an upward international trend. The album has ten songs and all are awesome. I highly recommend this new cd especially since we have not had any new bachata releases for a few months now. No need to skip through this album. Just let it play right through to the end. Wilbert Manuel has a soft voice (comparable to Frank Reyes). The acoustics and rhythms of this bachata is definitely unique. Okay I will stop talking now. Just "V?yanse ya a la discotienda y compren este majestuoso cd por Wilbert Manuel". Another recommended new release is "Hasta el fin" by Monchy & Alexandra.

On the flip side what is happening to merengue? I know some of us have had this discussion before but this is getting serious. I am still waiting for that "showstopper" merengue cd that will put merengue back on top as the preferred music. Yes, I know El Jeffrey is good but he needs support. As more merengueros are forced to go on hiatus or produce cross over albums, I can slowly see this demise becoming a chronic problem which may eventually change the preference of people's music tastes or pose a threat to merengue being the music of choice. If only Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina were here....merengue is just not what it used to be.

Bye for now,

Lesley D

Last edited:

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
I actually think merengue is on its way back to the merengue of the early 90,s , not only Jeffrey ,but you got Tonny Tun Tun (his new album is excellente , i recommend anyone to buy it) ,then there is the other Pr singer i think his name is Angel Fonseca(not sure) , and bands like Sin Fronteras,Zafra Negra,and Los sabrosos(PR Bands are doing well for Merengue , more than Dominicans) are on their way back , i do agree that the artists making good merengue should be supported , even if the songs arent always original (i.e Jeffry,lol) ,but merengue is not the only genre guilty of this(i.g salsa,bachata , ranchero,grupero,even some vallenatos) and the ratrero merengue is dying out , this is very evident ,so its opening doors for good to do Artists and forcing other artists to make good music . so , i say again merengue is on its way back up.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
online radios:
www.superregional.com from Santiago, site is being renewed but the radio is still on
www.bachataradio.com

Hi Lesley D,
I'll try to find Wilbert Manuel's new one, haven't heard any songs from his latest album.
As for merengue, I think it hit a low a couple of years ago, but now with El Jeffrey, Joseph Fonseca, ever present Los Toros, Rubby Perez and Hermanos Rosario and tipico guys like Krisspy it might be on the way up again. I spent a lot of nights at the merengue festival in SD last July and didn't get bored at all.
Bartolomeo

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
As for Bachata

Bachata right now is kickin a** , i can go on with the dozens of artists that are makin a good name for bachata ,however , the artists must , but i mean must , STOP COPYING VALLENATO SONGS !!!!!!!!! , it is not good for the genre , there are enough talented Dominican writers who make fantastic songs , if they dont , its gonna discredit them and i mean this entirely for bachata , Bachata is music merengueros go to for inspirational songs , if they just keep on copying vallenatos , they will take away credibility from Bachata , that has come such a long way in the years . I know im soundin like a broken record but its just how strong i feel about it.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Lesley D said:
To : Nubeluz, Jozee74, Bartolomeo67, Trina, Music and Talldrink and anybody else who appreciates nice bachata....

It's been a while since I have been this enthusiastic about album but to my fellow DR1 bachata aficionados I highly recommend Wilbert Manuel's- "el chico malo" new release. I listened to the album this morning and what a delight! This bachatero is definitely underrated and should get more attention. This album "La sigo amando" is his second release and believe me no sophomore jinx here. If anything this bachata has the potential to keep the genre on an upward international trend. The album has ten songs and all are awesome. I highly recommend this new cd especially since we have not had any new bachata releases for a few months now. No need to skip through this album. Just let it play right through to the end. Wilbert Manuel has a soft voice (comparable to Frank Reyes). The acoustics and rhythms of this bachata is definitely unique. Okay I will stop talking now. Just "V?yanse ya a la discotienda y compren este majestuoso cd por Wilbert Manuel". Another recommended new release is "Hasta el fin" by Monchy & Alexandra.

On the flip side what is happening to merengue? I know some of us have had this discussion before but this is getting serious. I am still waiting for that "showstopper" merengue cd that will put merengue back on top as the preferred music. Yes, I know El Jeffrey is good but he needs support. As more merengueros are forced to go on hiatus or produce cross over albums, I can slowly see this demise becoming a chronic problem which may eventually change the preference of people's music tastes or pose a threat to merengue being the music of choice. If only Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina were here....merengue is just not what it used to be.

Bye for now,

Lesley D

Thanks for the tips, Leslie. I agree with you about merengue going down. However, I am loving Los Toros Band's latest, INDENTENIBLES - true to Los Toros history of not letting merengue fans down, this one is fabulous.

Alicia

Nov 8, 2004
Jozee74 said:

Wondering if you can help me find music by a deceased singer named Fernando Villanueva...Gracias...Alicia