So where do you get the best of both worlds?

Q

queenbbee

Hi,
I am planning a 2-week trip in March for myself (30 yr. woman) and (2) 13 year old daughters. No, I'm not looking for sankies (although I'm sure I'll find them, from reading this forum it sounds like they're a cultural icon) I've travelled to/lived in third world countires since I was little, and I am a freelance writer. I'm choosing DR because of the price, people, location, and it's a place I've never been. And my daughter and I are learning spanish- we've already overdone mexico. So, what I am looking for is a nice resort that's not too pricey or huge (300-500 rooms is perfect)with great swimming pool and activities, near to a town, countryside that shows the "real" DR. It's important that we get out of the resort and explore DR. I want to write a story on how the tourist industry has affected the locals. But my primary purpose is to relax and meet some great people (which I find easier at smaller resorts). Airfare into POP will save me $500-600 US over P Cana- and from what I've researched about P Cana, you get strictly tourista there. I'm looking at sousa but doesn't look like too many good resorts there (doesn't need to be AI but kids have got to have activities and I enjoy shows- good bar on site is great because since I;m not much of a drinker, I won't be bar-hopping in town, just shopping and exploring sights. Thanks for your help. This site has really helped me decide that DR is the place for our next family adventure.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Depending on your budget, it seems to me as though Coral Merien (Hilton) or Costa Dorada (Iberostar) just outside Puerto Plata might be your best bets. Good pools, beach, close to town (& easy local transportation - NOT hotel taxis) plus beach walk to Playa Dorada complex (Tourist Prices there though!!!).

These ARE All-inclusive hotels (normally) but that route might be less expensive than getting flight only & paying US $30/35 per night per room for something NOT All-inclusive. Do a search on the above hotels in 'Trip Reports' forums & look also at Hotels 'Paradise', 'Gran Ventana', 'Jack Tar Village', 'Puerto Plata Village' & 'Flamenco' on the Playa Dorada tourist complex. ~ Grahame.

toby

Dec 8, 2003
badpiece33 said:
Just back from a week stay at the Coral Marien and couldnt agree more with Bush Baby on the Coral Marien and Puerto Plata. Will be going back next week for another stay ;)
Badpiece

I stayed at the Coral Marien(Hilton) with my husband and 12 year old daughter last year at Christmas time. The location is great as it is very near POP and Sosua respectively. A great location as a jumping off point to tour the area. The AI hotels are great but we left the hotel every morning and arrived home just to sleep and eat. The surrounding areas for your article can be accessed by several types of transportation, but be careful as to your selection for security's sake. Motoconchos are fun but nerve racking and I can't think of having to keep track of two kids on flying motocycles with mom trailing behind. Look into gettting a taxi ahead of time to pick you up at the hotel and guide you around. A search here can lead you to taxi services that will take your request for service before even leaving home. PS. My daughter was hit on by sankies but it was no big deal, i just explained her age and the fact that I was her mother and they backed right off (helps if you put on your she-wolf face) Word spread quickly and no one bugged us. The DR people love kids and have great patience and interest in them. But they do not like silly teen behaviour from our experience/ teen drinking, trash talk/vandalism/mean degrading comments/ We saw alot of tourists with kids who showed these behaviours to the staff and bar persons. They were rewarded by being ignored as were their parents.(Justifiably) An article on this alone would be interesting.. maybe titled how to treat others with respect when visiting as a tourist...
Have a good time and enjoy and let us know when and were your article will be published we all will look forward to your writing.
Cheers Toby
Don't forget to bring down some school supplies (search Scobster's name and look for locations to bring these much needed supplies to local schools)

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Sosua Bay Hotel

Sosua Bay Hotel remains one of my favorite AI's. Decent food & good staff. You can walk out the entrance and be right on the main street (Pedro Clisante.) In terms of location, imho this place is the best. I would also recommend going to Santiago for a day.

BigCity27 said:
Sosua Bay Hotel remains one of my favorite AI's. Decent food & good staff. You can walk out the entrance and be right on the main street (Pedro Clisante.) In terms of location, imho this place is the best. I would also recommend going to Santiago for a day.

My only problem with Sosua for this person is that she wants to get out among the locals and see the real DR, As nice as Sosua is, it isn't the real DR by any stretch of the imagination. A trip to Santiago to see the real DR is a must but you can never appreciate Santiago on a day trip, you have to spend several days at the very least in Santiago.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
badpiece33 said:
My only problem with Sosua for this person is that she wants to get out among the locals and see the real DR, As nice as Sosua is, it isn't the real DR by any stretch of the imagination. A trip to Santiago to see the real DR is a must but you can never appreciate Santiago on a day trip, you have to spend several days at the very least in Santiago.

Yea, at least 2 nights there, especially with all the great restaurants near the monument. I usually stay at The Holdelpia, but I hear the Platino is a nice hotel.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
badpiece33 said:

She wants to see how the tourist industry has affected the locals. She wont see that in Santiago. If she stays in an AI in Sosua AND gets out every day to explore, I think she will get what she is looking for. Staying in an AI, she will experience one dimension of tourisms effect on Dominicans through their employment in the AI and all the employee/guest interaction that goes along with it. By spending time outside the AI, she will experience a completely different and more complex dimension of tourisms effect on locals by witnessing things such as gringo prices, street scams, currency cambio scams, and of course prostitution. Then, to really understand how tourism affects Dominicans, she needs to go to a place like Santiago for a few days....where there is no tourism. Then she will see how much different "regular" Dominicans are from the ones who flock to tourist areas for various reasons...thus giving her a clear picture on all the ways tourism really affects those that do.

I hope you enjoy your trip :)

Larry

Last edited:

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Another Choice For You

I would suggest that you also check out Fun Royale-Fun Tropicale, which is located in the Playa Dorada area. My wife and I have returned there for the past nine years, and absolutely love it. FR/T has a great staff, and great facilities. It's an AI that has wonderful food/beverage offerings. There are facilities and activities for children that you would appreciate.

The Playa Dorada area is about 20 minutes West of the airport, and about 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata. Playa Dorada has it's own plaza with food and shops.

I could write pages about the resort, but rather than do that I wouls suggest that you check out www.funroyale-tropicale.com After you have read what's on the site, and if you have more questions, please feel free to contact me, and I will try to answer any questions you may have.

Enjoy your Dominican experience :)

SB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
badpiece33 said:

Couldn't agree more. In fact I personally don't think Sosua is nice, it has too many foreigners!
One idea for your article, queenbbee, might be to look at where the Dominicans who work in hotels live......as opposed to where they work, viz. the juxtaposition of their lives in the work environment of the luxurious all-inclusives versus their family lives in the barrios. Does this lead to higher expectations for their own lives or envy or resignation to their 'fate'? You MUST get into the barrios, just as you MUST get into the countryside.........without doing either you will not have seen the real DR, plus a visit to Santiago where there is an extremely knowledgeable Board member called Hillbilly. His input to your article would be invaluable.

Q

queenbbee

Thank you all so much for your time and comments. I was sincerely looking at Sosua Bay as first choice, but it doesn't look like it's got nightly entertainment. What about Cabarete? Whilte this may be a tourist town, isn't it close by Sousa- I think there's an hourly shuttle from some hotels? Wyndham Viva Tangerine looks like it has everything we're looking for and great reviews. Or am I removng myself from true DR culture by staying in cabarente (sp?)

hooptie2

Feb 9, 2004
May I suggest

Hi queenbee,
May i suggest my favorite AI the Coral Marien by Hilton in Puerto Plata. The hotel staff is wonderful and the hotel is 300 some odd rooms if memory serves me right. The resort layout is such that you won't be hunting all over for your 13 year olds! There are nitely shows, beach and pool activities and the resort is not in an area crowded with other resorts. The city of Puerto Plata is only minutes away and the mall in the Paya Dorado complex is a few minutes by taxi. I feel there is enough available to keep you and the 13 year olds occupied during your stay. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. judi

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
queenbbee said:
Thank you all so much for your time and comments. I was sincerely looking at Sosua Bay as first choice, but it doesn't look like it's got nightly entertainment. What about Cabarete? Whilte this may be a tourist town, isn't it close by Sousa- I think there's an hourly shuttle from some hotels? Wyndham Viva Tangerine looks like it has everything we're looking for and great reviews. Or am I removng myself from true DR culture by staying in cabarente (sp?)
Sosua Bay Hotel has nightly entertainment, in the form of shows, etc. I don't pay much attention to them and I'm usually not around when they're going on, but people said they were good. I was in Cabarete in August and when I saw where Viva was located, I'd have been quite disapointed if I had stayed there. Don't get me wrong it looked nice, but I didn't care too much for the location.