Bring a Dominican to the USA.

Y

ydkdy

I would like to help a friend come to the states for a visit? Can anyone help me with some info where to start this. This is not a girlfriend only a friend. This is only to be a visit to see the states and how we live here. This visit is only for two weeks. Any help you can give will help so much. Thank you and have a great day. Harry.

A

arcoiris

I think you have to go through the consulate to make application and it costs some money. I don't have the NY consulate's number on me, but I am sure someone here has it. I think they will tell you she has to apply at the consulate in Santo Domingo. Don't bother trying to telephone them.Good luck. Please let me know how it turns out

L

Loren

Woe is you

Basically, your friend will have to prove to the US Consulate in Santo Domingo that he or she is going to return to the DR at the end of their stay. This can be shown with proof of a good job or lots of assets in the DR. It's sort of like "Ok, you say you are going on vacation to the US, prove to us you can afford it." It does suck, but the US takes the position that if you apply for a visitors visa, you are intending to emigrate illegaly to the US, and the onus is on you to prove otherwise. The Dominican Republic is #1 in US visa fraud world wide (US Consular Newsletter Vol.1 Issue 2 jan 1999)

If your friend is a woman, you will have further problems because the US will assume that it is your girlfriend even if it is not, and tell her she has to get a K1 fianc? visa. You have to sign up for that and sponsor her and go through a big ordeal. I am going through that process now with my fianc?. I sent the papers in May 23 and she will get her visa interview date in roughly 2 months (she just recieved what the US govt. calls "packet 3" yesterday!)

If your friend is some sort of professional in the DR you probably wont have a problem. They better have bank accounts in their name, preferably cars and property also. Basically they need to look like their standard of living would be lower here as an illegal than it is there doing whatever it is that they do.

I can give you some links to immigration and visitor visa pages if you want

P

Phyllis

Check the archived messages, there has been LOTS of discussion on this topic!

A

arcoiris

Re: neither an optimist nor a pessimist be

they won't force you to consider her a fiance, but Dominicans are being given a very hard time. If you have a good lawyer it helps. Go for it. I'm not sure people are aware of the immigration law changes that have been implemented since 1996. Do we have an immigration lawyer on board here? Just marrying someone doesn't do it anymore.

D

Dulce Maria

Re: WOE IS YOU....

I would like all the information you have. I am simply trying to get a mother-in law a visitor visa to see her grandchildren, and then SEND her home.... I need to educate myself on exactly how to manipulate the system honestly. Lawyer ? Why cant I represent myself? Can I protest the Embassy in STO DOMGO. decison in the states at a immigration office closer to my home, ie CHICAGO ? ? Can local elected offical's in my area help? Once the STO. DOMGO. denies a visitor visa, how long do you have to wait to re-apply ? If anyone would be so kind to respond, either directly or here, respond negative or positive...any pieces to the puzzle are helpful. Thank you kindly in advance....muah

L

Larry Emmons

Re: WOE IS YOU....

You can appeal a visa rejection decision by the United States Consulate in Santo Domingo by sending a letter of appeal to the Director of Non-Immigration Visa section of the consulate stating specifically why you think that the decision was incorrect and should be reversed. These are not United States Immigration officials, they are United States State Department officials. The State Department and Immigration department both state that the applicant must have a "Good and justified reason to return to the Dominican Republic". The response to the appeal could take six or seven months (I know, I have been there and back). If you do not appeal, the applicant must wait one year to re-apply. This information should have been given to the applicant when her application was rejected.