Why No Dr Airline

Merengue

Dec 10, 2003
Can anyone tell me why the Dominican Republic always fails with their arilines.
and when was the last time they actually had an airline that really worked.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Cara

cara said:
DR, never have an airlines that really work.

What about Dominicana Airlines?? How many years was that up and running?? I flown... I would say twice throught that airlines, years ago.

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
= (

The Name was Dominicana de Aviaci?n .. the building was located in Ave. Winston churchill ( Jimenez Moya) were the Banco de Reservas is actually...

they went out in the 80's ... the company used to be goverment's property
and thats why it collapsed..

Robby :glasses:

Apr 26, 2002
Dominicana was government owned. In 1987, it operated 3 leased airplanes, had 1300 employees and was corrupt as hell. Enough said.

As bad a Dominicana was, it could almost survive in the age of reciprical agreements and regulated tariffs. This, of course, ended in the 1980s.

Ditto Quisqueyana airlines, the last commercial passenger operator of the Lockheed Constellation.

The final nail in the coffin came in the early 1990s when the DR lost its FAA Level 3 approval - meaning that no Dominican airline can fly its own planes to the US. Thus, all efforts at creating a "Dominican" airline since have been pathetic marketing-oriented "wetlease" agreements where Dominican-sounding names like "Air Santo Domingo" and "Hispanola" are painted on foreign owned and operated aircraft.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Fares are cheap, and only a few hopeless romantics on this board spend time pondering over how a country that can't keep the lights on would operate an airline.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Any government airline in small developing nations is bound to fail. Corruption, nepotism, political interference, theft, and plain incompetence doom them to fail every time.

curiosa

Jun 3, 2004
Dominican Airline Question?

Now that the subject was brought up about a Dominican airline-In the past in this forum we have discussed about Viva Airlines. When they made their presentation to us here in NY they said that they where "The Airline of the Dominicans". Actually everyone was very happy to hear that finally Dominican Republic was going to have an airline of their own. I know we have said many things about them- but is that their plan still- will they become the next Dominican airline- or was it just a bunch of lies to keep the public on their toes and curious about them? Can someone please answer that question for me?

Thanks

QUOTE=Porfio_Rubirosa]Dominicana was government owned. In 1987, it operated 3 leased airplanes, had 1300 employees and was corrupt as hell. Enough said.

As bad a Dominicana was, it could almost survive in the age of reciprical agreements and regulated tariffs. This, of course, ended in the 1980s.

Ditto Quisqueyana airlines, the last commercial passenger operator of the Lockheed Constellation.

The final nail in the coffin came in the early 1990s when the DR lost its FAA Level 3 approval - meaning that no Dominican airline can fly its own planes to the US. Thus, all efforts at creating a "Dominican" airline since have been pathetic marketing-oriented "wetlease" agreements where Dominican-sounding names like "Air Santo Domingo" and "Hispanola" are painted on foreign owned and operated aircraft.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Fares are cheap, and only a few hopeless romantics on this board spend time pondering over how a country that can't keep the lights on would operate an airline.[/QUOTE]

Apr 26, 2002
A partner for Dominicana, Dom440? Ugh! Last I checked, they couldn't legally fly to the US due to the DR government not meeting civil aviation standards. What the hell would a "partner" do for them.

Viva? I didn't know there were any Dominicans involved in that scheme, Curiosa. Do you want to invest in it? Didn't think so.

curiosa

Jun 3, 2004
Actually I don't want to invest in the Viva scam- I was just curious. We have never heard from them again here since last year and I guess everyone else just like me is just curious about what happened to their promise of being the "Airline of the Domicans". I even have a folder that they gave me and everyone else there with information on the company and on the cover it said "The Airline of the Dominican Republic and Beyond". But like I said before I guess it was just another lie from the President and CEO of the company.

QUOTE=Porfio_Rubirosa]A partner for Dominicana, Dom440? Ugh! Last I checked, they couldn't legally fly to the US due to the DR government not meeting civil aviation standards. What the hell would a "partner" do for them.

Viva? I didn't know there were any Dominicans involved in that scheme, Curiosa. Do you want to invest in it? Didn't think so.[/QUOTE]

cara

Feb 21, 2003
The Airline of the Dominican Republic and Beyond". thats a lie from the former President and CEO of the company. they are not authorized from the Dominican govermen to operate, Dont invest in it is all a lie. please check vivi.ob on yahoo finance.

Merengue

Dec 10, 2003
Roberto284 said:
The Name was Dominicana de Aviaci?n .. the building was located in Ave. Winston churchill ( Jimenez Moya) were the Banco de Reservas is actually...

they went out in the 80's ... the company used to be goverment's property
and thats why it collapsed..

Robby :glasses:
---------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info

Merengue

Dec 10, 2003
more information

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Dominicana was government owned. In 1987, it operated 3 leased airplanes, had 1300 employees and was corrupt as hell. Enough said.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Fares are cheap, and only a few hopeless romantics on this board spend time pondering over how a country that can't keep the lights on would operate an airline.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to know more about the history of the Dominican Republic's commercial airlines industry...Do you know where I can get more information on the subject. Thanks.

Merengue

Dec 10, 2003
I'm one of those romantics in this board

Fares are cheap now, but Im sure that as soon as the competition AA picks up momentum they will turn the tables on cheap fares. so enjoy it while it last.

The potential for a Domincan Airlines can be develop the resources are there ready and available. The Domincan-Americans have the financial resources to do it. All we need is a leader in that area with sufficient knowledge, enought capital and a good business plan not this start up airlines that start with a wet-lease and only us$ 300,000. there is no way that a startup can substain competition with such a ridiculous amount. however I do give a lot of credit to those executives who have try to launch such a complicated endevor you really have to have courage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Porfio_Rubirosa said: