Any Dominicans in Los Angeles?

Shelby Stokes

Oct 13, 2004
I am a young man living in the Los Angeles area and at this moment I am searching my family history and i believe that I have Significant roots in the Dominican Republic. Since I have no family here in this city, I am looking to find some fellow Dominicans that i may connect with.

So, if there are any Dominicans that have a social club, dance club or meeting place to discuss all things that affect the culture please respond to this thread and i will appreciate your response. Pray for me that I get an answer on this historical aspect of my family.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Sorry don't know of anything that is organized out of LA.
All I know are just a few people here and there...but I have lost touch with many. I would say there are some dance clubs that Dominicans do tend to visit, those that play salsa and merengue a lot. I would say start there.
I would also suggest you start reading on the history of DR.
Best of luck,
D

Shelby Stokes said:
I am a young man living in the Los Angeles area and at this moment I am searching my family history and i believe that I have Significant roots in the Dominican Republic. Since I have no family here in this city, I am looking to find some fellow Dominicans that i may connect with.

So, if there are any Dominicans that have a social club, dance club or meeting place to discuss all things that affect the culture please respond to this thread and i will appreciate your response. Pray for me that I get an answer on this historical aspect of my family.

Shelby Stokes

Oct 13, 2004
deelt said:
Sorry don't know of anything that is organized out of LA.
All I know are just a few people here and there...but I have lost touch with many. I would say there are some dance clubs that Dominicans do tend to visit, those that play salsa and merengue a lot. I would say start there.
I would also suggest you start reading on the history of DR.
Best of luck,
D

Thank you for the advice and I am already studying the history as well as learning some of the local phrases. I do not plan to arrive in the country until a year from now but I would like to have a few people that will know of my arrival and greet me. I do not want to have the "Tourist" experience because I am at a point in my life where I want to know my roots and find where I belong. I have not felt comfortable in this area of the States but I have found a good place of Worship and I am learning alot about God under the teachings of my Bishop, Noel Jones. I have always felt that connection to the Latin community and now that I am researching my heritage I am coming to a realization that my family could be from the carribean. I have asked my grandfather but he does not know for his father was absent but he does remember growing up within the Latin community of Philadelphia.

I will save the rest for another time as you only needed the answer to the question above.
God Bless
Shelby Stokes