Dominicans Vs Alex Rod

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
It looks like the marriage between A-Rod and Dominicans is over after Alex
declared himself as an American in the post season introduction in New York.

Don't feel hurt about this betrayal, this guy is just hungry for dollars, is running with a different crowd and is now trying to compete with Derek
Jeter on popularity and thinks that by saying he is only American should
be more to his advantage.

Be proud,
we still have Felix Sanchez.
Don't hate Alex, just feel sorry for him and wish him good luck but i better
not hear him say that he is more Dominican than Platanos when he is interviewed in DR.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
What about his Dominicaness does he have to be proud of based on his experience? (Please do remember the value a strong male role model has on your development and sense of perspective).

A father who blatantly callously abandoned his mother in an unknown city for some hoochie back in NY nevr to be seen until...? A family that turned their back on his mother w/ kids when in need? His mother struggled counting dimes with him at the kitchen table for nightly tips as a waitress (and that was just her second job) to see if they could make ends meet in FL? Family members who now profess to be his best buddies and always thought of him? Oh really?

I know EXACTLY where he is coming from and I don't blame him. I know many professional Dominican-Americans that have realized the same thing and minimally associate themselves with being Dominican. One friend moved straight across the country to California to escape the abuses of those around her.

Felix Sanchez is Dominican by affiliation because he didn't grow up around them. Dominicans on the island love Dominican-Americans when it is convenient for them. When it is not, we are just a bunch of Dominicanyorks regardless of where you live in the states. Let's not forget that.

-D
Mr_DR said:
It looks like the marriage between A-Rod and Dominicans is over after Alex
declared himself as an American in the post season introduction in New York.

Don't feel hurt about this betrayal, this guy is just hungry for dollars, is running with a different crowd and is now trying to compete with Derek
Jeter on popularity and thinks that by saying he is only American should
be more to his advantage.

Be proud,
we still have Felix Sanchez.
Don't hate Alex, just feel sorry for him and wish him good luck but i better
not hear him say that he is more Dominican than Platanos when he is interviewed in DR.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
deelt said:
What about his Dominicaness does he have to be proud of based on his experience? (Please do remember the value a strong male role model has on your development and sense of perspective).

A father who blatantly callously abandoned his mother in an unknown city for some hoochie back in NY nevr to be seen until...? A family that turned their back on his mother w/ kids when in need? His mother struggled counting dimes with him at the kitchen table for nightly tips as a waitress (and that was just her second job) to see if they could make ends meet in FL? Family members who now profess to be his best buddies and always thought of him? Oh really?

I know EXACTLY where he is coming from and I don't blame him. I know many professional Dominican-Americans that have realized the same thing and minimally associate themselves with being Dominican. One friend moved straight across the country to California to escape the abuses of those around her.

Felix Sanchez is Dominican by affiliation because he didn't grow up around them. Dominicans on the island love Dominican-Americans when it is convenient for them. When it is not, we are just a bunch of Dominicanyorks regardless of where you live in the states. Let's not forget that.

-D
I am not saying that he should be proud, is the hipocracy that he displayed when he used to say he was more dominican than the flag which made many
dominicans proud and crazy about him. Now these people feel betrayed because they think he coulded say he was a dominican american.

Felix had no reason whatsoever to represent the DR in the olympics but chose to do so. That is what i call a true orgulloso dominicano.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I hear you. Personally, I think he is battling with the love/hate relationship he actually has with the Dominican culture. This is something he needs to resolve. Felix Sanchez is an whole other ball game. I belive needs met timing and venue form him, but he is as much a Dominican-American as ARod just doesn't realize/verbalize it yet.

In the states, we are just beginning to have a political identity and a definition for ourselves. ARod is actually serving as a political catalyst to define ourselves as Dominican-Americans. I agree with that. The more we establish ourselves here the more we come to realize being Dominican vs Dominican American is a politically crucial and necessary difference, that needs to be made. I applaud ARod for taking that step.

Mr_DR said:
I am not saying that he should be proud, is the hipocracy that he displayed when he used to say he was more dominican than the flag which made many
dominicans proud and crazy about him. Now these people feel betrayed because they think he coulded say he was a dominican american.

Felix had no reason whatsoever to represent the DR in the olympics but chose to do so. That is what i call a true orgulloso dominicano.

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
He didnt' deny his Dominican heritage

A-Rod said 'USA' as natural and normal as it should be for someone born and raised there and having lived most of his life in the USA. There is nothing wrong with that and by saying it he has not denied his Dominican heritage.
It's become a 'much ado about nothing' theme in the DR and at least kept us entertained with something for a couple of days.

Nina80

Oct 17, 2004
I am sorry that you feel that way about Dominicans living back in the island. I understand your point but maybe the friends you have there are not the best ones. I know by experience that the friends that I left in SD will never be replaced by the new ones I made here. Maybe I sound kind of foolish, but maybe if you choose your friends in DR better, you'll have a better opinion.

Regarding Arod, he was born and raise here, everybody is making a big fuss about it.
he hasn't said that he hates SD or anything like that. Conformense con Felix Sanchez

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Nina80 said:
I am sorry that you feel that way about Dominicans living back in the island. I understand your point but maybe the friends you have there are not the best ones. I know by experience that the friends that I left in SD will never be replaced by the new ones I made here. Maybe I sound kind of foolish, but maybe if you choose your friends in DR better, you'll have a better opinion.

Regarding Arod, he was born and raise here, everybody is making a big fuss about it.
he hasn't said that he hates SD or anything like that. Conformense con Felix Sanchez

What the hell nina, nobody in the DR is saying A-ROD said anything wrong but New Papers everybody i know says is true he was born in the US like so many Dominican Americans. (BIG FREAKING DEAL) i'm sure if he wasn't who he is no one will ever care.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
It's all Media

WE should stop being brainwashed by media. They want another controversy, more money for them. Like I said before in another thread, he is American from Dominican parents. He is a good role model, why knock him down? So far he has turned out to be a great player and leader.

Let me add this:
I believe I am more of a betrayer to the Dominican Republic then he is. I was born in DR but I'm American by naturalization. Every person that vows alliance to another country is more of a betrayer, so Dominicans shouldn't talk because every/most Dominican that steps American land wants to ultimately be an American citizen.

Antonia Preer

Aug 20, 2004
A-Rod umm I dont know

What a coincidence that I found this thread... I was kind of thinking about this last night as I watched the Yankees Game.

First of all I am of Afro-American and Mexican descent, but I identify as black American.. Just saying this to let you know where I am coming from..

Anyway,

Please try not to get offended.... I hate to say it... but A-Rod smells alittle sell-out-ish to me. This is my own personal observation.. It isnt the way he speaks or behaves or whether he is from the DR or U.S. You can have all the education and money in the world and be U.S born and still be down for your people. You dont have to be from the Ghetto or a person from poverty. It has nothing to do with that in my eyes. He is a clean cut guy ( and I like that), and a dynamic player (no doubt) BUT, It is just something about him that just screams "I'm not truely proud of being Dominican". Did he marry a Dominican woman?? Not to say marrying a Dominican woman makes you more dominican because it doesnt BUT, you have to consider these things. I dont know... Its hard for me to put my finger on it. I just like Manny and Pedro Better. A-Rod comes off Like he is trying so hard to please White America. It feels like (to me) that he wants soooo badly to be accepted. What I am feeling must have some validity because it was coincidental that what I have been thinking about lately happened to be a topic on here.

I know this sounds extreme, but being an Afro American I have seen these types a thousand times ( Tiger Woods, OJ simpson etc). We have tons of them. So, trust me , we are experts on spotting them!
Its only right to love America and appreciate what it has done for you, but that doesnt have to negate the love and pride you have for your people..

but then again maybe I am being too hard on him. He is a great player after all and that's all that really matters in the end. Right???

;)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Antonia,

Again, what does he have to be proud of? Did you see how he was forced to grow up? He is a product of his experiences and socialization. Same goes for Tiger Woods. OJ can't really say, that is just more like self-hate and anger management to me.

Case in point, you identify with being more AA than Mexican? If so why?
If so, was rejection a factor from the Mexican side? If not, then you cannot really say that you deny your Mexican side at all and you view yourself as a mix.

I think this is being blown out of proportion. To me he is Dominican-American. I am all him taking that stand. I thank him for it because it was about time one of us said it. Dominicans don't really accept us, unless it is convenient for them. Now se le fue el tiro por la culata.

Peace
Antonia Preer said:
What a coincidence that I found this thread... I was kind of thinking about this last night as I watched the Yankees Game.

First of all I am of Afro-American and Mexican descent, but I identify as black American.. Just saying this to let you know where I am coming from..

Anyway,

;)

Antonia Preer

Aug 20, 2004
rejection from Mexicans ??.... Please

deelt said:
Antonia,

Again, what does he have to be proud of? Did you see how he was forced to grow up? He is a product of his experiences and socialization. Same goes for Tiger Woods. OJ can't really say, that is just more like self-hate and anger management to me.

Case in point, you identify with being more AA than Mexican? If so why?
If so, was rejection a factor from the Mexican side? If not, then you cannot really say that you deny your Mexican side at all and you view yourself as a mix.

Peace
I agree
We all are a product of socialization and our own experiences. Like I said before, it isnt a big deal , but it was something I noticed. My opinion still stands, even though I respect yours.

OOOH, but I have to address the issue of being half Mexican and Half Black. REJECTION??? I have to laugh at that LOL. Please... Black is a dominant race (genetically) and AA is a very dominant culture in America. I was raised with my latino and black family members and I am very close with both sides, but in America when you look the way I do you are considered AA. and that is fine with me. I love both sides and I cherish them both but lets keep it real here, I am of Afro descent. I am from Los Angeles, there has been no rejection from the latino community (that I have personally experienced).

ANYWAY, on to the next :)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Antonia,

I was only asking a question. I am in the US too and have traveled through out the West, including LA. I also share in your mentality on needing to appreciate our blackness/embracing our afro-descendency. So defensive responses are not required. But when you say "I'm 50/50 but I am AA" it seemed contradictory to me, so I was not clear what you meant. It can also be a loaded statement since I've heard of incidents within certain families where rejection was an issue in the midwest. For example, there can be differences in experience between Mexican fam vs Mexican-American family members. (Heck, I know it happens for sure within the Dominican community). Prior to your response I did not know your experience.

I know this awesome woman 50Mex/50AA doing her PhD in anthropology in the East coast also from LA. She's focusing on the manifestation of hip-hop in other continents like Europe, etc. If interested in looking her up I can tell you more via PM.

PEACE
D

Antonia Preer said:
OOOH, but I have to address the issue of being half Mexican and Half Black. REJECTION??? I have to laugh at that LOL. Please... Black is a dominant race (genetically) and AA is a very dominant culture in America. I was raised with my latino and black family members and I am very close with both sides, but in America when you look the way I do you are considered AA. and that is fine with me. I love both sides and I cherish them both but lets keep it real here, I am of Afro descent. I am from Los Angeles, there has been no rejection from the latino community (that I have personally experienced).

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Antonia Preer said:
I agree
We all are a product of socialization and our own experiences. Like I said before, it isnt a big deal , but it was something I noticed. My opinion still stands, even though I respect yours.

Here is one Latin who rejects you and your racism.
BTW Are you half Latino or Half Native American with a Spanish surname like majority of Mexicans?

BAck to the Subject
ARod was born and raised in the US. He is American. What does he owe to the DR? What has the DR done for him except kiss his A*s in hopes he spend some of his wealth down there?
If anythinh he should be comended for embracing his Dominican Roots. Anybody complaining about ARod saying that he is American needs to get control of their own self-esteem issues.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Antonia","Black Is A Dominante Race,(genetically)?????

I must have missed that class in "Biology 101"! Will you please state your references to corroborate that very broad statement?Cris Colon

Since I married a "Black" woman,am I rejecting my "Whiteness???

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Criss Colon said:
I must have missed that class in "Biology 101"! Will you please state your references to corroborate that very broad statement?Cris Colon

Since I married a "Black" woman,am I rejecting my "Whiteness???

Yeah, sellout.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
i dont really like A-Rod , but i do know what antonia means when she says the something about him screams "I Dont Wanna Be Dominican" cuase i sense it too , i ve really been feeling it ever since he came to New York , i even read an artical that claimed that when his mother came from Miami to New York and he didnt even give her a hotel room to stay in (with the millions he has) , doesnt return her calls or anything ,not even front row tickets to the game, ese tipo es un mal-agradecido ,ingrateful bastard ,i soooooo hope the yankees lose the series (theyve been really hurting baseball by trying to buy all the stars in the league) ,then u got people saying this and that about how he supported the boys and girls club and all that non-sense , but to treat the woman that raised u on her own ,in that fashion ,is unacceptable ,he got some real guts that guy , now he comes off callin himself an american ,when this entire time i have known about him he was the "Dominican golden boy" , he is a fake in all aspect of the word (not including the quality of player he is) , when i first heard about the contract he made with Texas on the basis that he would have to be paid 1 cent more than the highest player in the league should have said it all , he is not a team player , just gives a crap about himself , he doesnt care whether the team wins or not (No team Loyalty , but thats all players) . From what i have heard he married some russian girl , but i dont think marrying out of ur ethnicity is dening ur culture.but again this guy has been a fake the entire time , we just havent noticed it till now

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
deelt said:
Antonia,

Again, what does he have to be proud of? Did you see how he was forced to grow up?

His mom is Dominican last I checked. If you listen to him talk about his mom, tell me that he's not proud of her and what she did for the family when his dad walked out on them.

Do you think it ever dawned on him when his dad left, that he disliked his "Dominicaness?" My parents got a divorce when I was young and I was angry at my dad, at no point did I say, I hate him because he's Dominican, what kind of rationale is your thinking?

I am Dominican American and I have never lived in DR. I am proud of my heritage and travel a few times a year to DR. Would I ever live there? HELL NO! That doesn't mean I'm not proud of my heritage. That doesn't mean I'm not proud of David Ortiz when he wins a game.

Its definitely blown out of proportion by the media in DR. Whatever Arod's birth certificate says doesn't matter. Whether we consider ourselves American doesn't matter either. The blood that flows through our veins is what matters, and that blood is Dominican blood.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Tony C said:
In what way is he fake?
Just because he doesn't act the way you want him to act?

He is a fake becuase before he came to new york he would refer to himself as a Dominican ,now he wants nothing to do with us , if thats not fake idk what is and him acting like that is soooo the opposite of what he trys to make people beleive, hence FAKE!!!!!,