MSP to POP or YYZ to POP Longer Stay Cheap Flights?

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Was wondering what airline, booking agent, website people usually use for longer stays?? I know the charters offer discounts but only for stays of 2 weeks. We're planning on going for a month or more next August and so far the cheapest is 950+.

Cheers,

Dawn

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you are going to exceed the limits for charters, e.g. one or two weeks you need to look at the scheduled airlines, from Toronto pretty much AA as the Continental connection at Newark never works, or something like Jet Blue with the problem finding a YYZ-JFK flight vs. one that goes to LaGuardia.

Or you can buy charter, throw away the return and try to find one-way which is dodgy at best.

I presume the $950 is the AC flights weekly to POP non-stop. For non-charter their prices are pretty good when you start to look at alternatives with connections. They through AC vacations have been said to offer upgrades to Executive First for something like $279, though the flights to POP I've seen have all been on one class 757's , maybe they are changing that and if you are going to pay full fare you can go in style.

hooptie2

Feb 9, 2004
Not that difficult to extend

On 2 occassions within the past year we extended our trip (booked with air transat) from 2 weeks to 3 and 4 weeks. As ricktoronto said it is doable if you fly the charters but you have to sacrifice your return ticket. We tried dealing with our air transat rep but the ticket prices were outrageous! After making a few inquiries as to how we could extend our stay we were referred to Coco Tours in POP. We dealt with an Australian gentleman (sorry can't remember his name) who's been in the DR for several years. He was extremely helpful and accomodating and the price was right! Good Luck!

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
YYZ to POP

My relatives spend a minimum of two months there every winter and we have found that the only Canadian carrier is Air Canada also you avoid having to change planes in the States. The extended stays that Air Canada books are subject to change as these flights fill their seats with stop-overs in Punta Cana and/or Montreal. Their prices are higher than charters, by about double but there is the extended dates and no plane changing. Hope this helps.

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
still think Buffalo is a good choice

we flew Jetblue from Buffalo to JFK and then on to STI.
great flights, good airline etc..

total cost was $625 CDN round trip. definitely worth the drive to Buffalo given we were a party of 4