DR truck drivers to Iraq?

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
"The Diario Libre is reporting that as many as 65 Dominican truck drivers are currently en route to Jordan, where they will begin transporting fuel trucks for a salary of US$1,500 a month"

What an outrage. US$1500 a month, when the American counterpart earns "these truck drivers started out making $125,000 per year." according to reports.

I cannot believe that a dominican could be so desperate in DR that he/she would risk their life in such a way by taking up this job. Is the dominican economy so bad? Is this justifyable or are these individuals ignorant? Is this a fair trade by U.S. standards?

dominicangirl

Oct 9, 2002
I cannot believe that a dominican could be so desperate in DR that he/she would risk their life in such a way by taking up this job. Is the dominican economy so bad? Is this justifyable or are these individuals ignorant? Is this a fair trade by U.S. standards?[/QUOTE]

Some risk their lives everyday trying to get to Puerto Rico.

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
maybe

Maybe, but going to PR in a boat, the odds for survival are far greater than going to the middle of a war to work. Don't you think so?

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Don't worry, Haliburton will still charge the contracted $150,000 per trucker

even though they will pay less.
But understand, no other company could do this because Iraq security issues demanded that a US company do the work. This was done for political reasons also, it looks bad to have an American take captive.

-Lee

dominicangirl

Oct 9, 2002
I Agree

Riu said:
Maybe, but going to PR in a boat, the odds for survival are far greater than going to the middle of a war to work. Don't you think so?

But I think that those going to Irak are thinking the same as those going to PR. They just want to get out of the country and make some dollars. And, they think they're better off because they have a job waiting for them.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Probably No

Riu said:

From what I have read on the yola's, chances are probably better percentage wise that they will survive Iraq.

Which is better shark bait, or beheading. your dead both ways.

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
ltsnyder said:
even though they will pay less.
But understand, no other company could do this because Iraq security issues demanded that a US company do the work. This was done for political reasons also, it looks bad to have an American take captive.

-Lee
A very profitable little scam that they have going on here? I bet you, when one of this dominicans is kidnapped or decapitaded it will not make the NBC seven o'clock news.

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
bienamor said:
From what I have read on the yola's, chances are probably better percentage wise that they will survive Iraq.

Which is better shark bait, or beheading. your dead both ways.

This link is not allowed. Thanks Tim H.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rare Earth

Oct 22, 2004
Wait and see.

The answer to the question about the dominican economy being bad, could most likely be "yes", it is not good today but better than three months ago, it is definitely showing trends of improvement.

About the truckers, is good to keep in mind that maybe the final objective is not necessarly Irak, they will probably end up in New York along with the more than 800,000 dominicans. If they get to PR by "yola" and then to NY by plane, is easier any other way.

Riu said:
"The Diario Libre is reporting that as many as 65 Dominican truck drivers are currently en route to Jordan, where they will begin transporting fuel trucks for a salary of US$1,500 a month"

What an outrage. US$1500 a month, when the American counterpart earns "these truck drivers started out making $125,000 per year." according to reports.

I cannot believe that a dominican could be so desperate in DR that he/she would risk their life in such a way by taking up this job. Is the dominican economy so bad? Is this justifyable or are these individuals ignorant? Is this a fair trade by U.S. standards?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
dominicangirl said:
But I think that those going to Irak are thinking the same as those going to PR. They just want to get out of the country and make some dollars. And, they think they're better off because they have a job waiting for them.
Yep,
A job that may also include a butcher's knife on their necks.