Legal Question

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I am moving down to DR and will be moving down to DR in Feb - north coast tourist town and am looking to start a business (a sort of tour)

I have researched down there and came on here to get input from foreigners who have previously gone to DR about there experiences

I am heard nothing but negative, decouraging remarks

I have heard stories of mafia and difficulty with resorts which makes me wonder. if this is true why did I meet so many foreiners down there opporating business

When I arrive intend to establish a relationship with a lawyer and am wondering from a legal standpoint how real are these issues and is there any sort of system in place to protect foreigners looking to do business there

Any constructive comments would be very helpful

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
When I arrive intend to establish a relationship with a lawyer

Sorry, but there's a slight air of naivette in that expression... sounds like you should seek employment instead of going into business by yourself. But if you do, remember never to mention how successful you are, on the country, tell everyone you're going broke, that you're leaving this god forsaken land, etc., etc.

Mirador

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Mirador said:
Sorry, but there's a slight air of naivette in that expression... sounds like you should seek employment instead of going into business by yourself. But if you do, remember never to mention how successful you are, on the country, tell everyone you're going broke, that you're leaving this god forsaken land, etc., etc.

Mirador

thank you for the reply and advice,

Just to clarify - I have been down 4x to DR just finnished spending a month down there researching my idea

It wasnt until I got home and discovered this site that I was flooded with negative responses

my idea is one that is not currently offered there, i have priced out start up and staffing, i know where i am going to opperate, and actually it does a benifit to some business owners who have expressed they would pay me to visit thier business

now....

the difficulty is on the marketing end

I am trying to establish the safest route for me to sell my tour. I am a young feamle and am doing this with my girlfriend.

I am not really naive I would prefer to say thurough, through gathering info from other foriegners doing business there I feel that I can better assess the risks involved

I would like it if people could tell me some specific interferneces they have encountered in the tourism indistry in DR and how they overcame these interferneces

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What kind of feed back did you get while in the DR? I'm sure you must have seen how many tours companies are already there.

If you need a good lawyer I suggest you visit Fabio Guzman or write to him.

http://www.drlawyer.com/

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
My uncle is a foreigner that owns and operates a tour in Puerto Plata. He?s been doing it for a few years and I think that it?s going very well. His tour goes out every day but Sunday and it?s almost always full.

That said, his employees rob him, the tour companies are always complaining about something, the tourists (outside of the ones from the US) are a big time pain in the a$$ and keeping the equipment running is a nightmare.

He?s been saying that he wants to sell the biz for the last few years but never does. I think secretly he loves all the headaches.

If you have a solid idea that does not exist anywhere on the island and can do as my uncle and corner the market on your particular type of tour keeping competition out for a few years and willing to work long hours and deal with the taxi mafia and tour operators you could do well?.oh yeah, have about two or three times the amount of money you calculate that you would need to start up, trust me you?ll need it. And don?t for get a good lawyer!!!

Good luck!

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto2inDR said:
My uncle is a foreigner that owns and operates a tour in Puerto Plata. He?s been doing it for a few years and I think that it?s going very well. His tour goes out every day but Sunday and it?s almost always full.

That said, his employees rob him, the tour companies are always complaining about something, the tourists (outside of the ones from the US) are a big time pain in the a$$ and keeping the equipment running is a nightmare.

He?s been saying that he wants to sell the biz for the last few years but never does. I think secretly he loves all the headaches.

If you have a solid idea that does not exist anywhere on the island and can do as my uncle and corner the market on your particular type of tour keeping competition out for a few years and willing to work long hours and deal with the taxi mafia and tour operators you could do well?.oh yeah, have about two or three times the amount of money you calculate that you would need to start up, trust me you?ll need it. And don?t for get a good lawyer!!!

Good luck!

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH

I am going to PM you - I have heard Fabio Guzman is a good lawyer