Need help again on cheap flight from sdq-calgary

Lottusflower

Dec 15, 2003
Dear all:

I come to you again, humble and asking you to share your wisdom, given the issue that all this travelling to canada is soon to end....(We have set a date !!! :nervous: ) I will be required to fly to calgary to start what may be, the first christmas with my beau family.... The schedule is as follows:

Departing From Santo Domingo (SDQ) to Calagry on December 15

Returning from Sudbury (YSB) TO (SDQ) on December 29th....

Please help this damicele in distress, since I need to find a cheap flight one way to calgary and then the rest I can manage....

What do the supreme Gods of air travel..suggest :)?

Lotti

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Since it is indeed rare to find a charter even leaving SDQ anymore ( and I am not sure how many charters are going non stop to and from the DR and Calgary - there could be some), you will have to find a scheduled flight - for example from POP to Toronto on AC then connect to Calgary ( or fly on WestJet from Toronto).

Maybe the daily AA flight from SDQ to Fort Lauderdale, then find a Jetsgo flight to Toronto and a Jetsgo or WJ flight onward.

Otherwise use Expedia.ca and put in SDQ and YYC and see what scheduled flights there are. For example SDQ to MIA, then MIA to YYZ then YYZ to YYC.

The shortest flight using all AA on my AA desktop schedule goes to San Juan, then Dallas then Calgary. All one airline - also try booking a round trip with a dep discount and throw away the return ticket which may cost less than buying one way.

San Juan is quite a pleasant airport to arrive in the USA as well as I discovered in my Frances-avoidance departure I had to do early September when I could not go back via Florida at all.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Here's the lowest fare I could find via hume-travel.com

American Airlines:
Class Economy
Date Flight Departing Arriving - Stops
- Aircraft Duration Cabin Class

15 Dec American Airlines
AA 780 E Las Americas (SDQ), Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic 09:25AM
John F Kennedy Int'l (JFK), New York, NY, USA 12:03PM
Non-stop AB6 15:53 Economy Restricted
15 Dec Air Canada
AC 719 E La Guardia (LGA), New York, NY, USA 04:30PM
Pearson Int'l (YYZ), Toronto, ON, Canada 06:10PM
Non-stop 319 Economy Restricted
15 Dec Air Canada
AC 145 E Pearson Int'l (YYZ), Toronto, ON, Canada 08:00PM
Calgary Int'l (YYC), Calgary, AB, Canada 10:18PM
Non-stop 320 Economy Restricted

Fare Tax Dollars (Canada)
376.00 + 160.43 x 1 Adult = 536.43
Total fare = 536.43

Last day to ticket: 21 October 2004

NOTE: PRICE is in CANADIAN dollars!!

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If I remember Lotti's story, she came to Ontario on a visitor's visa so I don't think she can go through the US.

Don't buy a ticket till you are sure.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
For some reason I thought she said she did have a US visa but if not.....

then she'll need a direct flight to Toronto or Montreal with a connection from one of those cities to Calgary.

She isn't eligible to take a charter from any of the Canadian charter companies as you must be a Canadian/American or British subject to do so.

As most US carriers do not fly direct to Canada that means taking AIR CANADA from La Romana, POP or PC which means a one way ticket of approx. $1200 CAN.......to Toronto.

So I guess you could say there are NO cheap fares for this flight!

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
MommC said:
then she'll need a direct flight to Toronto or Montreal with a connection from one of those cities to Calgary.

She isn't eligible to take a charter from any of the Canadian charter companies as you must be a Canadian/American or British subject to do so.

As most US carriers do not fly direct to Canada that means taking AIR CANADA from La Romana, POP or PC which means a one way ticket of approx. $1200 CAN.......to Toronto.

So I guess you could say there are NO cheap fares for this flight!

There IS also COPA to Panama then a non stop to Toronto or Cubana to Toronto from Havana for US ineligible travellers. Might be less than $1200 buckeroos.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok my bad. I checked back and lotti did post that she has a US visa for ten years.

Carry on

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
That's ok Anna!

I had my "senior" moment really early this morning so got it out of the way before my day really started! :p