Punta Cana or Juan Dolio? Dilemma!

SpartacusCT

Oct 21, 2004
My family and I are flying into Las Americas mid-November. I?ve looked at a ton of reviews and hands-down Punta Cana?s got the upper hand!. However, since Punta Cana is so far (2-3 hours drive from LAS AMERICAS, maybe more with all hurricane damages) I figured I save myself the hassle of and go for the best family resort Juan Dolio has to offer .... I?ve seen some good (not all that excellent) reviews out there for Coral Costa Caribe, Hamaca, Santana Beach, etc. but don?t know which way to go!. So, taking into account I?m flying into LAS AMERICAS, it comes down to this:

1) Go to Punta Cana and "suck it up" because it?s just that good! or
2) Settle for the best Juan Dolio?s got to offer

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!. Thanks a bunch.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
if it's for a family with children........

I would recommend Hilton's Coral Caribe in Juan Dolio! You'll find all the amenities with a children's club plus the village of Juan Dolio is an excellent place to stay with children.
From JD you can take a day trip by local bus (guagua) a few miles down the road to Boca Chica to enjoy the beach there for a day.
Also a short ride on Sunday to Guayacanes to mix on their beautiful beach for some time with the local population with music, food and good bathing!
A bus trip into the Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo would also be interesting (catch the Metro bus on the highway) if the children are old enough to appreciate the historic sites in the Zone.
Rent some 4x4's for some sightseeing along the beach road or book one of the many tour available such as the Jeep Safari, Catalina Island or Saona excursion or take a Whale watching tour (depending on when you'll be here!)
I'd advise against Santana Beach Resort as it's quite isolated and we've received "rescue" calls from friends from home with children who booked their Dominican adventure WITHOUT asking us first where they should stay! Santana is great for adults but not so child friendly (no matter what the brochure says!!)
Hamaca is in Boca Chica and is great if you plan to stay IN the resort during the evening as the BC night life is definitely NOT geared to children altho' it's a great place to go for a day on the beach!
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
SpartacusCT said:
My family and I are flying into Las Americas mid-November. I?ve looked at a ton of reviews and hands-down Punta Cana?s got the upper hand!. However, since Punta Cana is so far (2-3 hours drive from LAS AMERICAS, maybe more with all hurricane damages) I figured I save myself the hassle of and go for the best family resort Juan Dolio has to offer .... I?ve seen some good (not all that excellent) reviews out there for Coral Costa Caribe, Hamaca, Santana Beach, etc. but don?t know which way to go!. So, taking into account I?m flying into LAS AMERICAS, it comes down to this:

1) Go to Punta Cana and "suck it up" because it?s just that good! or
2) Settle for the best Juan Dolio?s got to offer

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!. Thanks a bunch.
Because of the time factor I would opt to stay in Jaun Dolio or Boca Chica and try PC the next time around.
The best resort in Jaun Dolio is Barcelo Capella. If price is a factor you can choose Colonial Tropical which is across the street from Capella and includes the A1 from Capella. Costa Caribe is also a good choice for families. Although the Hamaca in Boca Chica is a nice resort I personally would not take my children to Boca Chica. I have never been to Santana Beach but from all I have read and people I have talked to I would not chance it. Mostly because I would not want to be disappointed by the beach or the food.
The beaches in the southern part of the country do not compare to Punta Cana. The good news is you will be going to the South first and won't know what you are missing. NOW you have an excuse to visit the DR again!
If you are coming from Ct. check GWV travel and TNT websites for specials at this time. Good Luck