Yankee Killer!

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
You've heard of the great Yankee Clipper, the immortal Joe Dimaggio. Well, now you have the great Yankee Killer, David Ortiz of the Boston Red Sox and a Dominican true and true. A very likable fellow with a happy-go-lucky attitude that lights up the clubhouses wherever he plays.

OK, Sammy has let us down a bit recently and Pedro has not been quite the same as before but we have other Dominicans to take up the slack. David, MVP of the ALCS 2004, Alfonso Soriano, MVP of the 2004 All-Star game
and the home run contest champ, 2003 AL MVP Miguel Tejada. We Dominicans don't usually have much to celebrate or cheer about, in spite of being a happy peoples by nature anyways, especially those of us residing in the DR with the recent economic debacles which are finally being confronted by a new government.

So let us celebrate our great representation at the MLB level and rejoice at Big Papi's success!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
After his clutch performances in the Yankee series, Ortiz should be in a league of his own in the Dominican baseball hero department. How can you compare Pedro, Manny, Sosa, Tejada etc... What have they done? They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Ortiz. This guy Ortiz has icewater in his veins. He is clutch. Now, Pujols has a chance to match him if the Cards advance but for the moment, Ortiz is the man.

Larry

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
David beats Goliath!

Larry said:
After his clutch performances in the Yankee series, Ortiz should be in a league of his own in the Dominican baseball hero department. How can you compare Pedro, Manny, Sosa, Tejada etc... What have they done? They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Ortiz. This guy Ortiz has icewater in his veins. He is clutch. Now, Pujols has a chance to match him if the Cards advance but for the moment, Ortiz is the man.Larry
I'd say he was there before this.

He's been tearing up the Winter League for a couple years now. He's a hero from their two championship teams, huge homers in huge games.

He's a crowd favorite in every ballpark on the island, at least from my experience.

Except for that time in Santiago where he smashed someone in the stands with a bat. But that's his job, to smash curveballs, fastballs, and perhaps even screwballs.

With this big stage production he has definitely elevated himself into the pantheon of great Dominican baseball players.

He is David, and he came with far more than a sling shot to take down Goliath.

Even shut up Toneloco. No small feat.

Last edited:

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Ortiz deserves all the accolades being showered on him. He has carried himself with humility and class.

He didn't shut me up, either. I've never said anything negative about him. Just commended him. Ortiz is a beast at the plate, and the only person in the RedSux lineup who rightfully inspired some caution. Now Manny :laugh: , another discussion.

What Ortiz did in the ALCS should catapult him to be the AL MVP, over Sheff and Vlad.

Hats off!!!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i am usually in the DR in feb/march....but i am thinking of trying to go earlier this year and catch a game in SPDM.

WHen is best to go to catch some dominican beisball? I have been googling for some links but cant find much info

jj

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
sorry

but i just realized i asked this question before...and had a PM in regards to it.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Fresh meat!

toneloc24 said:
What Ortiz did in the ALCS should catapult him to be the AL MVP, over Sheff and Vlad.
Where you been hiding Loco?

You wouldn't know this, but the voting is done and submitted before the season is completed. The winner is already determined. Get back under the bridge.

I think Vladimir will win it, Manny a close second, and Ortiz perhaps 3rd.

Either way, Dominicans are the most valuable player(s) on almost every team.

Should be happy that A-Rod is not Dominican now, what a buffoon. Every team he leaves wins, every team he goes to loses.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Cleef said:
Where you been hiding Loco?

You wouldn't know this, but the voting is done and submitted before the season is completed. The winner is already determined. Get back under the bridge.

I think Vladimir will win it, Manny a close second, and Ortiz perhaps 3rd.

Either way, Dominicans are the most valuable player(s) on almost every team.

Should be happy that A-Rod is not Dominican now, what a buffoon. Every team he leaves wins, every team he goes to loses.

Had a crazy day at work, not much time to play. Plus, the thread was closed. I stopped in for my lumps, but there was nowhere to get them. You win, this time. It was about time. I knew our pitching sucked, but damn!!!!!!!!

If such is the case as you say with MVP voting, then Ortiz won't win it. He and Manny had very similar regular season stats, similar to Rolen and Pujols. They cancel each other out. For the NL MVP, look for Bonds, Beltre and Beltran. In the AL, look for Vlad and Sheff.

It's a shame, because Ortiz did it on the grandest of stages.

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Now Pujols too!

Well, another Dominican MVP. Pujols won the NLCS MVP last night. So let's enjoy this dear Dominicans since it will be hard to see this ever again. MVP's in both leagues' championship series plus the all-star game and let's see what happens in the World Series. Could it happen again?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
lets just hope the sox sweep or do it in 5!!! man oh man...those errors over the past couple of night had me clutching my chest......fuhgetabout the curse of the bambino.....i am worried about the curse of buckner!!!

Damian

Aug 16, 2004
David Ortiz is clutch and cool, plus, he's not ashamed of being Negro. Good moral role model.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Damian said:
David Ortiz is clutch and cool, plus, he's not ashamed of being Negro. Good moral role model.

Yeah, good thing he stopped using the bleach on his skin! WTF????