Questions for upcoming trip

bwemily

Jun 17, 2004
My husband and I are coming!! Yeah, November 7th-14th we are flying into Putan Cana and renting a vehicle. We will be traveling 1/2 way to The Marien Coral, stopping somewhere for the evening (arriving about 2) and traveling the next day north. We will be spending 6 days/5 nights there and then doing the same 1/2 way each day on our return.

1. What side of the road is the correct side to drive on?
2. How are the roads across the country?
3. Where would be a nice place to stay for the evening each way?
4. Are there any must sees along the way?
5. Good resteraunts near the Marien Coral Hilton?
6. Activities outside of the resort?
7. Travel times to the above questions?

And of course any general advise you might have.

I am looking forward to reading your responses and to visiting DR.

bwemily

Jun 17, 2004
Clarification

We are arriving at the airport about 2:00 pm on the 7th and our flight home leaves at about 3:30 pm on the 14th.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
bwemily said:
My husband and I are coming!! Yeah, November 7th-14th we are flying into Putan Cana and renting a vehicle. We will be traveling 1/2 way to The Marien Coral, stopping somewhere for the evening (arriving about 2) and traveling the next day north. We will be spending 6 days/5 nights there and then doing the same 1/2 way each day on our return.

This part doesn't make any sense. You are flying into Punta Cana International Airport and then heading the same day to the Marien Coral?

Are you aware that it is at least an eight hour drive from Punta Cana International to the Marien Coral which is located in Puerto Plata, which is on the north?

Please clarify.

To do the split country deal, it only makes sense if you fly into Punta Cana and then depart by way of Puerto Plata. If you only have a week, I would recommend you stick to Punta Cana and La Romana, plus Santo Domingo -- that is the east and southeast of the country. Leave Puerto Plata for a next trip. If not, you will be on the road most of the time, missing the essence of a vacation in the Caribbean.

Depending on who you have already committed to -- the flight or the hotel stay, plan your trip around one geographical destination (north, stay north; east stay east + southeast).

bwemily

Jun 17, 2004
Yes, we would of preferred to fly into POP, but we received a great deal on 1st class non-stop tickets to Punta Cana, and my husband will be meeting with someone most likely in Santo Domingo which we can arrage to do so in the beginning or later part of the trip. Our Hilton package is something my husband won at a golf tournament in Purto Rico this spring.

We are quite explorers and love to drive accross the islands we visit to get a feel for them. By doing so we do not get to see everything, but we can get an idea of places we want to spend more time the next time we visit. Do to my husbands employement he is visiting many island during the year and I have the opportunity to travel with him on this adventure.

We are not heading the same day to Marien Coral, we will land on the 7th about 2 pm and drive part of the way exploring and seeing all we can, then the following day drive the remainder of the way, we do not mind if we get to Marien Coral at 6-7 in the evening. On the return trip we will most likely leave early on the 13th for a slow drive to the southern side of the island, and spend the day of the 14th head back to Putan Cana as our flight departs at 3:30 pm.

I hope this brings some clarification to our plans.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you can, spend more than one night in Punta Cana. It is a very lovely beach area. The roads are good to very good. Driving in the DR is on the same as the USA.

Leave early as you make your way to Santo Domingo from Punta Cana. There is a big fork in the road that brings you in from Higuey to La Romana. On the way west, drop by to visit Dominicus beach right beside the Dominicus Palace hotel (the public beach is the best part) and spend at least an hour or two there. To get there you need to go in the direction of Bayahibe beach, but do not take the road straight, take the road after Casa del Mar that turns slightly to the right. After time at Dominicus, head for Altos de Chavon and La Marina de Casa de Campo where you can have lunch. It?s about a two-hour drive from Punta Cana to Dominicus. Stopover in La Romana town at the Jumbo department store and buy yourself a good road map.

Another two hours will put you in Santo Domingo. To get into the colonial city, just go over the bridge and do not take the Elevados (overpasses), keep on the road and turn to the left and follow that south. It will take you into Arzobispo Meri?o street right into the middle of the Colonial City.
We recommend you overnight evenings at one of the hotels of the colonial city, the small ones ? Sofitel Frances, Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando or the Antigua Europa. Check out http://www.dr1.com/directories/index.shtml
Next day take the time to visit the Colonial City ? Cathedral, Alcazar. Have your friend show you modern Santo Domingo, too.

Early in the day head out for Puerto Plata. To do this you need to get on John F. Kennedy Avenue which leads into Autopista Duarte. Get off at the Carrefour (near Manoguayabo, about 5 minutes on the outskirts of Santo Domingo), right on the highway and buy yourself a good road map, that is if you didn't already in Jumbo of La Romana.

Less than two hours to get to Santiago. Have a typical Dominican breakfast or typical Dominican lunch at the Tipico Bonao on the highway. There are signs indicating where it is as you come to it. They alert you two kilometers in advance and again at 500 meters. Once you get to Santiago, this is the difficult part. The signs again are small. May take you half an hour to get out of Santiago onto the Puerto Plata road, depending on the time of the day. From the Santiago-Puerto Plata intersection to Puerto Plata is about 40 minutes.

The Marien is easy to get to, once you get to Puerto Plata. Actually, it?s easy to get there, once you get out of Santiago and onto the right road to Puerto Plata. Note that to go from Santiago to Puerto Plata you need to get off the main road which will lead you straight to the north, and take a road that shows up surprisingly to the right (with a small one-time sign). Once on that road, it is north all the time until where the road ends (you can?t continue north anymore) and then you take a right and your hotel is about 10 minutes from that right.

In Puerto Plata do not miss: the skylift, Ocean World park, the amber museum, visit to the Victorian houses. Travel one morning out to Sosua. I would overnight in Cabarete and have dinner on the beach. Once you are out there, consider a round of golf at the Playa Grande course. This is about 30-40 minutes from Cabarete, but a stupendous beach and one of hte best golf courses in the Caribbean. You will not regret playing that course.

Once back in Puerto Plata... Of course there are the Damajagua falls, if you have a morning. Visit the Damajagua post on the road, about 10 minutes south of Imbert (right on the highway) ? there is a sign once you cross Llano de Perez ? and request a guide there for this trip cascading down a hill through natural slides and toboggans. You should go early to be able to make it all the way to the top of the 21 falls and then cascade on your way down. Bring good hiking shoes and clothes that you can get in and out of the water with.

Again, we recommend you overnight in Santo Domingo as you make your way back.
Check the list of hotels in the directory.

On your way back to Punta Cana, make a stopover at the Caribbean restaurant at Embassy Beach. That beach is lots of fun. It is a surfer?s beach with swelling wells. That is on the way to Juan Dolio. There is a big sign. It is after Boca Chica but before Guayacanes and Juan Dolio. If you make it to Juan Dolio, stop over at La Cucina de la Mamma on the hotel strip of Juan Dolio for great Italian food -- ask for the pasta with seafood or the risotto with seafood. Leave early so you have time to make the flight that same day and return the car.

Regarding driving in the DR, ask, ask and ask. People are friendly and helpful. You can even pay a motoconcho (motorcycle taxi) to guide you in the right direction.

I have driven lots of places around the world, and driving is the way to go. It puts you in control. Whatever you do, give yourself time to get lost when on the road and you will be fine. And remember to ask when you think you are headed in the wrong direction, and ask when you think you are headed in the right direction. Always set out early. Avoid driving at night. Better to leave early.

Last edited:

bwemily

Jun 17, 2004
Dolores, Thank you for the ideas. I think we will take you up on many of them.

Any other suggestions or general information would be appreciated as I know there are hundreds of things to see, do, try, smell, taste, and so forth.

Thank you!

What do you think of the Marien Coral are there activities or resteraunts with in walking distance from there to do during the day or night, as I am not much of an all inclusive person, and will probably want to walk about if we spend any time there other than using it for our outpost for 5-6 days.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Dolores said:
This part doesn't make any sense. You are flying into Punta Cana International Airport and then heading the same day to the Marien Coral?

Are you aware that it is at least an eight hour drive from Punta Cana International to the Marien Coral which is located in Puerto Plata, which is on the north?

Please clarify.

To do the split country deal, it only makes sense if you fly into Punta Cana and then depart by way of Puerto Plata. If you only have a week, I would recommend you stick to Punta Cana and La Romana, plus Santo Domingo -- that is the east and southeast of the country. Leave Puerto Plata for a next trip. If not, you will be on the road most of the time, missing the essence of a vacation in the Caribbean.

Depending on who you have already committed to -- the flight or the hotel stay, plan your trip around one geographical destination (north, stay north; east stay east + southeast).
I strongly agree with this notion. Leave Puerto Plata for another trip. With your time so short Puerto Plata would not even be worth the trip unless you flew there directly. See Punta Cana, La Romana, Higuey, and Santo Domingo on this trip and then Puerto Plata, Santiago and the Cibao another trip. This country is beautiful but cannot be seen in one short week!

bwemily

Jun 17, 2004
DominicanScotty said:
I strongly agree with this notion. Leave Puerto Plata for another trip. With your time so short Puerto Plata would not even be worth the trip unless you flew there directly. See Punta Cana, La Romana, Higuey, and Santo Domingo on this trip and then Puerto Plata, Santiago and the Cibao another trip. This country is beautiful but cannot be seen in one short week!

I wish that where the case, but my husband has several business stops he has to make as we are traveling about the country. So we must fly into Punta Cana, make a stop in Santo Domingo and we have a 6 day - 5 night stay in Puerto Plata that it would be a waste not to use as it expires in May and I may not have another chance to visit DR before then, so we are trying to make the most of a business and pleasure trip (he has a couple of people he will be doing some activities with and meetings that are in the Puerto Plata area also). We do not mind driving at all, and we will be back. So I wrote the question above as to find out how to make the most of the trip. We will be able to do his meetings over breakfast, lunch or dinner so any suggestions of good places for meals would be greatly appreciated also.

I do want to see as much and know I will be back most likely in the next year or two, but unfortunately these are the circumstances on this trip.

Land Sunday at 2 pm, drive to a destination we can spend the afternoon touring about and stop for the evening and spend the next day at a slow pace driving and seeing all we can, of course we can spend from 7 am - 7pm to make that drive and on our return we have two days to get back to the airport.

If you have any suggestion they would be appreciated. Thank you for the concern.