AZB and others

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
you seem to know alot about Santiago, but I am curious to know, what made you decide to move to the D.R out of all Countries???

What was the main reason you decided to leave your country to live in the D.R??? and what dramatic changes did you have to adapt to?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
We all had similar reason to move to DR. I grew up in NYC and then moved to atlanta, georgia. as you all know how life spins in NY and now atlanta seems no different from NY. There are extreme traffic jams during rush hours and rents are also way up the sky. Atlanta is not what it used to be years ago.
I first came to Dr in 1986 as a young tourist from NYC. I remember it was cold as alaska in NY when I boarded the plane and when I landed in POP, I was welcomed with the caribbean hot sun. I couldn't believe that I was back in summer in the middle of winter. As though if I had travelled through time. I was actually swimming in pool and drinking cold beer out doors. It was simply unimaginable. Then the relaxed atmosphere and the cheap prices just blew me away. I didn't know how beautiful life was until I came here. I made several friends (true dominican and foreign friends) and just kept coming back. I was fortunate enough to meet a very beautiful girl in hotel from santo domingo who was also visiting there with her friends (spring break) (my second trip). I kind of fell in love with her. she was 18 yrs old and very smart. She spoke english, french fluently. she was from a well-to-family. She took me to SD and showed me all over. She would come and visit me in pop whenever I would come to DR. I stayed with her for a long time.
Then I got sick and tired of NYC life style and moved to atlanta. even atlanta was proved to be quite boring. I was simply not happy in USA. I always had fantasized of living in an island and being near the beach. i would come to DR 4 times a year. I was an engineer at the time so I knew I had little chances of making a good living if I had gotten a job in DR. So I took some time off to decide what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go in life. I decided to study chiropractic and open up a practice in DR. I knew Dr had very little number of chiros and I was sure I would make a decent living working in my own business.
I then decided to move to DR and live. But I made a crucial mistake. I moved to POP. I was living in costambar near the beach. I soon realized that POP was not good for making money. I was wrong to think gringos would pay well. It seemed that gringos living in pop were almost as poor as the dominicans. Living on tight budget. They were either cheap or broke. I lost a lot of money in POP. I also realized that beach was not so exciting place to be near by. I would rarely go to beach. I simply got bored with pop and sosua area. Women were ugly and place had little to offer. Most foreigners were drunks and old. I was a bit lonely there.
Then my friend from Santo domingo got me a job in santiago. thats when my life changed. I was ready to pack up and leave DR but antiago saved me. It was a big enough city but yet, not big enough as SD. I felt very comfortable there. For the first time I made some good money in DR. I realized that dominicans were better payer than foreigners in POP. Dominicans in santiago were more health conscious and would pay whetever I would charge them. The women were incredibly beautiful. santiagueros are proud folks and I felt like I was part of them. I learned to speak spanish among them. I didn't know that I had learned absolutely nothing of spanish in POP. I thought I knew some but when I came to santiago, I was dumb founded. I had lost 2 years in POP and I was upset. I didn't know this country had so much to offer. from that time on, I started to hate sosua and POP, not to mention the people who live there. They know nothing of this country. Most foreigners know only pop and sosua and nothing apart from that. These DR1 gurus know only their small world and nothing else. If you want to know this country, get out from resort towns. I wasted my time and money listening to gringos and puerto plata dominicans in pop.
So for me, its santiago and only santiago. I love this town and the people here. I don't think if I can ever go back to USA and live there happily. If I ever move from here it would be for economical reasons.
AZB

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Good for you, I guess you are one of the lucky ones. not everyone is as fortunate as you.

I ask because I am at the point where I am sick of living in the U.S and I really dont know what I want to do in life. I hate working in a office in front of a computer all day, but that is the only thing I have experience at the moment. I personally didnt like staying en la Capital it bored me to death so I spent my three months in the cibao (Sanitago, Las Vega, and Moca).

I will be going in Feb. with my boyfriend to Barahona. Is it a good place to visit??

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Jozee74 said:
Good for you, I guess you are one of the lucky ones. not everyone is as fortunate as you.

I ask because I am at the point where I am sick of living in the U.S and I really dont know what I want to do in life. I hate working in a office in front of a computer all day, but that is the only thing I have experience at the moment. I personally didnt like staying en la Capital it bored me to death so I spent my three months in the cibao (Sanitago, Las Vega, and Moca).

I will be going in Feb. with my boyfriend to Barahona. Is it a good place to visit??
I have never been to barahona but I have heard it has some of the most pretties beaches in DR.
Jozee, i don't feel if I got lucky. It all depends on what you are looking for in DR. I was not interested in ugly hookers or spending my earnings on presidente and cuba libre. I had a plan in my mind and goals. What i was lacking was experience. I soon found out what I was missing so I made the right changes and put myself back on track.
Many foriegners move to DR without any solid plans. they only mingle with hookers or sankies. They never get to know real dominicans. they hardly attempt to learn spanish. They only talk about beach, beer and rum or girls (hookers). If you bring them to santiago, they soon want to visit a local whorehouse or a carwash. They don't even try to meet a decent dominican educated girl but are instantly attracted to a barrio chopa. So I guess we all find what we look for in DR. This is a big enough country to fit everyone.
Jozee, I strongly advice you to come here with a solid plan. Not only you will live in peace (in cibao) but you will live a healthy, longer life. Stress is the number 1 killer in USA. Since you are dominican by blood and speak spanish, you will eliminate 50% of your problems right there.
Don't think so much, make the move. Money is not everything in life, remember we are in the business to live not to chase the next dollar. The people who only worry about money are the same folks who are also the most unhappiest folks in life. they only talk about money and nothing else. they weigh their friendship in money etc. USA is all about making money and buying the next toy that comes out, may it be a car, house or a plasma TV clothes etc. You totally miss out on life.
If you need help in santiago, we (the santiago DR1 folks) are here to help you.
AZB

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
The town of Barahona is alright........

actually, it's not really fun or anything but I did camp out at a beach called "Los Patos" which is known for big crowds during Semana Santa and drownings if you're not careful. The province is the only other place in DR besides Samana that has rivers, hills and mountains and beaches all in the same place..........it's beautiful, specially if you drive on the road that goes west of the town of Barahona towards Bahoruco and it goes from sea level to up in the mountains by the sea. Some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen in my life. Might be fun for you.....

By the way, Santiago is great!!!!!

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Azb

AZB said:
I have never been to barahona but I have heard it has some of the most pretties beaches in DR.
Jozee, i don't feel if I got lucky. It all depends on what you are looking for in DR. I was not interested in ugly hookers or spending my earnings on presidente and cuba libre. I had a plan in my mind and goals. What i was lacking was experience. I soon found out what I was missing so I made the right changes and put myself back on track.
Many foriegners move to DR without any solid plans. they only mingle with hookers or sankies. They never get to know real dominicans. they hardly attempt to learn spanish. They only talk about beach, beer and rum or girls (hookers). If you bring them to santiago, they soon want to visit a local whorehouse or a carwash. They don't even try to meet a decent dominican educated girl but are instantly attracted to a barrio chopa. So I guess we all find what we look for in DR. This is a big enough country to fit everyone.
Jozee, I strongly advice you to come here with a solid plan. Not only you will live in peace (in cibao) but you will live a healthy, longer life. Stress is the number 1 killer in USA. Since you are dominican by blood and speak spanish, you will eliminate 50% of your problems right there.
Don't think so much, make the move. Money is not everything in life, remember we are in the business to live not to chase the next dollar. The people who only worry about money are the same folks who are also the most unhappiest folks in life. they only talk about money and nothing else. they weigh their friendship in money etc. USA is all about making money and buying the next toy that comes out, may it be a car, house or a plasma TV clothes etc. You totally miss out on life.
If you need help in santiago, we (the santiago DR1 folks) are here to help you.
AZB

Thank you very much for the information. If I ever need any info on Santiago, you will be the first person I will turn to.

I would never jump the gun on relocating to D.R without knowing all the facts and without gaining experience in another Job field. Honestly what type of Job pays the best there?? I have been thinking about opening a Beauty Salon here in Providence, but I know this is not where I want to be, So I just put everything on hold for now until I decide.

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
AZB is right on the money!

Let me add my 2 cents, so to speak. AZB is right on the money on everything he says. One thing that strikes me is that I have experienced somewhat the same thing. I worked in an international bank in WashingtonDC
for 21 years and, although Dominican-born, I had moved to the U.S. as an adolescent, went to school there and had the privilege of having lived 30 years of my life. It was a great chunk of my life and it was fine at the time but now, due to the changes that come with time and experience, I prefer
this underdeveloped little country with all its faults.

I know exactly what AZB means about the beach. I always thought I would love living by the beach but soon into my year and a half in Miami I found that once you are there full time it becomes a lot less important than when you come down from the winter cold on vacation. Here in the DR I hardly bother going to it and it's ok to visit but I wouldn't want to live there!

As far as Santiago vs. Santo Domingo, I have lived in both and each has something different to offer. If you want a cosmopolitan, vibrating city with lots of things to do and lots of traffic, noise, etc., Santo Domingo is for you.
If you want a mid-size city with many big city conveniences but the tranquility of a small town then Santiago is for you. I live in Santo Domingo right now by necessity of my employment duties but if I could I would much rather live in Santiago, where I will be close to my hometown of La Vega. One hour away from the north coast tourist areas and all kinds of beaches and activities, in the most prosperous area of the country, El Cibao, with the most beautiful people and where there is a lot more civility.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
AZB said:
We all had similar reason to move to DR. I grew up in NYC and then moved to atlanta, georgia. as you all know how life spins in NY and now atlanta seems no different from NY. There are extreme traffic jams during rush hours and rents are also way up the sky. Atlanta is not what it used to be years ago.
I first came to Dr in 1986 as a young tourist from NYC. I remember it was cold as alaska in NY when I boarded the plane and when I landed in POP, I was welcomed with the caribbean hot sun. I couldn't believe that I was back in summer in the middle of winter. As though if I had travelled through time. I was actually swimming in pool and drinking cold beer out doors. It was simply unimaginable. Then the relaxed atmosphere and the cheap prices just blew me away. I didn't know how beautiful life was until I came here. I made several friends (true dominican and foreign friends) and just kept coming back. I was fortunate enough to meet a very beautiful girl in hotel from santo domingo who was also visiting there with her friends (spring break) (my second trip). I kind of fell in love with her. she was 18 yrs old and very smart. She spoke english, french fluently. she was from a well-to-family. She took me to SD and showed me all over. She would come and visit me in pop whenever I would come to DR. I stayed with her for a long time.
Then I got sick and tired of NYC life style and moved to atlanta. even atlanta was proved to be quite boring. I was simply not happy in USA. I always had fantasized of living in an island and being near the beach. i would come to DR 4 times a year. I was an engineer at the time so I knew I had little chances of making a good living if I had gotten a job in DR. So I took some time off to decide what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go in life. I decided to study chiropractic and open up a practice in DR. I knew Dr had very little number of chiros and I was sure I would make a decent living working in my own business.
I then decided to move to DR and live. But I made a crucial mistake. I moved to POP. I was living in costambar near the beach. I soon realized that POP was not good for making money. I was wrong to think gringos would pay well. It seemed that gringos living in pop were almost as poor as the dominicans. Living on tight budget. They were either cheap or broke. I lost a lot of money in POP. I also realized that beach was not so exciting place to be near by. I would rarely go to beach. I simply got bored with pop and sosua area. Women were ugly and place had little to offer. Most foreigners were drunks and old. I was a bit lonely there.
Then my friend from Santo domingo got me a job in santiago. thats when my life changed. I was ready to pack up and leave DR but antiago saved me. It was a big enough city but yet, not big enough as SD. I felt very comfortable there. For the first time I made some good money in DR. I realized that dominicans were better payer than foreigners in POP. Dominicans in santiago were more health conscious and would pay whetever I would charge them. The women were incredibly beautiful. santiagueros are proud folks and I felt like I was part of them. I learned to speak spanish among them. I didn't know that I had learned absolutely nothing of spanish in POP. I thought I knew some but when I came to santiago, I was dumb founded. I had lost 2 years in POP and I was upset. I didn't know this country had so much to offer. from that time on, I started to hate sosua and POP, not to mention the people who live there. They know nothing of this country. Most foreigners know only pop and sosua and nothing apart from that. These DR1 gurus know only their small world and nothing else. If you want to know this country, get out from resort towns. I wasted my time and money listening to gringos and puerto plata dominicans in pop.
So for me, its santiago and only santiago. I love this town and the people here. I don't think if I can ever go back to USA and live there happily. If I ever move from here it would be for economical reasons.
AZB

AZB,

That was a beautiful story. It more or less mirrors my reasons for moving there. Although I am still in NY most of the time finishing my career (which should be completed within 1-3 years). I have established several businesses on the North coast and I too agree that doing business there is a bad move. I am often seen on the North coast due to my many friends there whom consist of Dominican lawyers, doctors, business owners and military Generals (not policemen) as well as intelligent/successful ex-pats. I chose to live in Jamao del Norte because of it's people there and it's tranquility. However, I realized that in order to compete in my furniture business I must move it to Santiago where true Dominicans (not gringos) with money will be my customers! I too love Santiago and it's people!

Scotty

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
AZB said:
....... I soon realized that POP was not good for making money. I was wrong to think gringos would pay well. It seemed that gringos living in pop were almost as poor as the dominicans. Living on tight budget. They were either cheap or broke. I lost a lot of money in POP. I also realized that beach was not so exciting place to be near by. I would rarely go to beach. I simply got bored with pop and sosua area. Women were ugly and place had little to offer. Most foreigners were drunks and old. I was a bit lonely there.

........I learned to speak spanish among them. I didn't know that I had learned absolutely nothing of spanish in POP. I thought I knew some but when I came to santiago, I was dumb founded. I had lost 2 years in POP and I was upset. I didn't know this country had so much to offer. from that time on, I started to hate sosua and POP, not to mention the people who live there. They know nothing of this country. Most foreigners know only pop and sosua and nothing apart from that. These DR1 gurus know only their small world and nothing else. If you want to know this country, get out from resort towns. I wasted my time and money listening to gringos and puerto plata dominicans in pop.

AZB

So Guys of the north coast, there you have it. We are all a load of drunken, womanising yobos up here that can't speak Spanish & know NOTHING about the country!!

Gringo, Escott, Rocky, Ken, Windeguy, Dr. Bob, DR. Bruce, Dr. Jim, Tiberious, Paul Thate, Thebes, Psycho & the Dragon, Larry, GJS-UK, Carl & Mel, Cheter4, Sandeep, locofoto, planner, Gregg, Peter & Alex, Richard. PoP Bad Boy, Dominicanscotty, La_Prof_1, Ohmite, Quaqualita, Dawnwil, Chris, Chris Tremain, Miko, Rendul, Conchman, Maggiemay, Noelle, Stephen, AlaninDR & marys, Barb & Linden, Eddy, GirlieGirl , Palmas, Amy2761, CabareteCid, BobH, BobK, ???????????.. oh, & all of you that are GOING to come live on the Sosua/PoP area, which is a list far too many to post here, we are all wasting our time here & should move to Santiago immediately.

Sort of reminds me of the 100 marching men where only ONE was in time with the music whilst all the other 99 were OUT of time!!! Well, that is what his Parents said!! Nice one Aftab ~ (Out of step, ignorant, non Spanish speaking, poorboy, Cheapy-cheapy, without a life, hated by Aftab) Grahame.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Bushbaby

BushBaby said:
So Guys of the north coast, there you have it. We are all a load of drunken, womanising yobos up here that can't speak Spanish & know NOTHING about the country!!

Gringo, Escott, Rocky, Ken, Windeguy, Dr. Bob, DR. Bruce, Dr. Jim, Tiberious, Paul Thate, Thebes, Psycho & the Dragon, Larry, GJS-UK, Carl & Mel, Cheter4, Sandeep, locofoto, planner, Gregg, Peter & Alex, Richard. PoP Bad Boy, Dominicanscotty, La_Prof_1, Ohmite, Quaqualita, Dawnwil, Chris, Chris Tremain, Miko, Rendul, Conchman, Maggiemay, Noelle, Stephen, AlaninDR & marys, Barb & Linden, Eddy, GirlieGirl , Palmas, Amy2761, CabareteCid, BobH, BobK, ???????????.. oh, & all of you that are GOING to come live on the Sosua/PoP area, which is a list far too many to post here, we are all wasting our time here & should move to Santiago immediately.

Sort of reminds me of the 100 marching men where only ONE was in time with the music whilst all the other 99 were OUT of time!!! Well, that is what his Parents said!! Nice one Aftab ~ (Out of step, ignorant, non Spanish speaking, poorboy, Cheapy-cheapy, without a life, hated by Aftab) Grahame.

He said Most, he didnt say ALL. its all a matter of preference....AZB has his opinion on it and you have yours. its like that everywhere you go, you prefer a city more so than the other.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Jozee74 said:
He said Most, he didnt say ALL. its all a matter of preference....AZB has his opinion on it and you have yours. its like that everywhere you go, you prefer a city more so than the other.

Jozee74.
Of COURSE he has a right to his opinion & I in NO way was disagreeing with his that Santiago was better than Puerto Plata!! For him that is quite possible, for others maybe not so. I have absolutely NO argument with that. What I WAS pointing out was his view about "most" of those who live on the north coast!! I accept that in two places he said "Most" so will refer the board members listed above to that list & say "MOST of you guys are ..............". ~ Grahame.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Don't take it personal Grahame MOST of us know AZB is here to entertain us. I've been to Sosua, Cabarete, Santiago, Santo Domingo and I know that people see only what they want to see and the rest is BS for entertainment.

I'm the biggest drinker of all (does water count?) :cross-eye

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
BushBaby said:
Jozee74.
Of COURSE he has a right to his opinion & I in NO way was disagreeing with his that Santiago was better than Puerto Plata!! For him that is quite possible, for others maybe not so. I have absolutely NO argument with that. What I WAS pointing out was his view about "most" of those who live on the north coast!! I accept that in two places he said "Most" so will refer the board members listed above to that list & say "MOST of you guys are ..............". ~ Grahame.

LOL.... yes AZB does have his opinions doesn't he? I enjoy reading all the posts! I still enjoy the North coast as this is where I have met my best and longest term friends. It is also where I established myself in business
and serves as the hub. However, I do like Santiago, it's people and it's many business opportunities. Would I make the comments that AZB has made? NO. Do I agree with AZB? No not completely, he does have a point and he isn't completely wrong either. However, I would not go on a strongly as he has, but then again this is AZB for how I have come to know him through these boards. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I for one welcome them all! Thanks for everyone's input it is informative and at times entertaining! I also look forward to actually meeting you guys. Jeeesh, I have lived here since 1994 and recently became a member of DR1. Thanks again!

Scotty (pronounced Gottie)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I didn't want to mention this but.....

I was talking about 7 yrs ago when I moved to DR, scott and many folks weren't there at the time. The gringos who lived there at the time weren't as knowleagable either about DR. I can say, still now many gringos who live in coastal cities don't know crap about the real dominican republic. they think they do but in reality they don't. After living there for 12 yrs they still don't know how to get around in SANTIAGO, even get to main avenues and reach important places. They speak bad spanish. They only know 1 or 2 important dominicans (maybe their business associates). Some puerto plata, sosua foreigners have picked up bad habbits from poor puerto plata tigres. They will only give you any information if you give them something first.

The coastal resident foreigners would usually meet you in a restaurant to give you some tips. They will drink and eat and never offer to pay. Then they will give you obsolete information but usually you get a plan from them which requires you to invest some money in a financing company, where the involved host will get a kick back. If you agree then he will treat you good, even let you stay in his house for free for a weekend. If you disagree, he loses interest right there.

The only gringo who will truely help you in sosua is scott. He will even take you out and pay for your meal. He asks nothing in return. I truely respect him for that. Scott knows sosua very well so stick to his advice.
I am not picking up on folks who are good folks, they are not the ones who will harm you, but you must watch out for gringos who have bad advice and know nothing of DR outside of POP or sosua. their info is obsolete which will usually cost you money and headaches.

I repeat, pop, sosua is not the place to make money unless you really have a unique business. The real money to be made is in SD and santiago. Even that money is only good for living well, not saving in bank for retirement. All in all DR is not a place to become rich. If you would like to move here, make sure you won't have to work for a living.

The real social dominican culture is not found in POP, sosua and BC. You want to meet real dominicans, get out from there.

AZB

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think the board members that post here that live up north are 0. something % of foreigners that live on the north coast. Even less 7 years ago.

I didn't know AZB could make such an impact :)

Moving on....

... "you seem to know alot about Santiago, but I am curious to know, what made you decide to move to the D.R out of all Countries???"

"What was the main reason you decided to leave your country to live in the D.R??? and what dramatic changes did you have to adapt to?"

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Robert said:
Moving on....

... "you seem to know alot about Santiago, but I am curious to know, what made you decide to move to the D.R out of all Countries???"

"What was the main reason you decided to leave your country to live in the D.R??? and what dramatic changes did you have to adapt to?"
if this question is directed towards me then here is my response.

I didn't really travel much at the time when I discovered DR (1986). I was a young srudent without money. I was offered a free ticket to come to DR through an Airline buddy. I loved it here because it was only 3 hrs 20 mins flight time from NYC to pop. Sort of like traveling through time. Then when I had to buy ticket to come here, it was usually 240 dollars RT. It was cheap.
I also thought of living in mexico becuase I had a girlfriend there too. But mexico wasn't easy, getting a license to work as a chiro was next to impossible. They only hand out licenses to Mexican citizens, besides they require all chiros to speak fluent spanish. I didn't speak any spanish at the time.
I later travelled to costa rica but didn't find beaches to be as impressive as in DR. Costa rica was far away and expensive to get there from atlanta ( was living there at that time).
I travelled to many eurpoean countries later on in my life and didn't fancy any one of them for living purposes. Dr seemed like the only choice close to home (USA). So I took the plunge. I am here and very happy for the first time in my life. I am glad I didn't move to mexico.
The only thing that will make me move from here is economy. If the economy continues to fall, I will leave to another country.
About adjustment to this country, I had to make very few. I already knew what I was getting into. Santiago and many other DR cities actually look very close to pakistani cities. Even people seem like pakistanis in santiago area. My mom felt I brought her to Karcahi when she landed in santiago. I had heard of plenty of corruption stories in pakistan so I wasn't even surprised to see corrupt cops in DR. Actually I like a little corruption here and there. I like the fact I get things done with the slip of a little cash under the table.
AZB

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
I like what my brother AZB wrote

And I don?t let him take me outside town, not even for a day at the beach!!

The last trip I was successful...he could not get me even to the border of the town....I had fun this time.

Every body moves to the DR.......I moved only to Santiago!! ;)

PS Aftab: We need to talk, I may be moving back again to Santiago in May 2005...bag and baggage. Discussions are going on full swing.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Planning

One solid point of advice made by AZB is the fact that one should plan well their move to the DR. As one who would like to live there in the future I truly appreciate his story.

JD