Comesolos up in arms

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From today's news:

PLD mob sacks hospital
A mob of PLD members sacked offices of the Luis E. Aybar Hospital's Center for Gastroenterology in Santo Domingo in demand for employment. According to Carmen Baez, the director for the hospital, the PLD mob wrecked the furniture of her reception area and scared the wits out of her secretary, as they demanded to be hired. Today, police and military units are providing security for the hospital that was built and donated to the Dominican Republic by Japan, thirteen years ago. According to sources, the workplace has returned to normal under the heavy security. Dr. Baez told Listin Diario reporters that she was not harmed in the small riot only because some of her doctors took her out a back door during the hottest part of the scene. She said that she cannot understand the attitude of the party members since she has been receiving their representatives ever since she was put into office two months ago.

This paints an unpleasant picture, PLD supporters going on the rampage because they're not getting the 'botellas' they believe they're entitled to, but does this mean the present government is resisting some pressure to replace government employees with party faithful?

I know of one ministry where the new Secretary is refusing to fire people in order to replace them with PLD political appointees. Someone I know there says that the corridors are clogged on a daily basis with people hoping for such a job, but that the Secretary is standing firm. The sad thing is that they are not able to get much work done. I could not work out whether this was because of the disruption caused by the jobseekers, or whether there was some kind of standoff between the Secretary and the people who control the purse-strings, over the question of political appointees.

I don't know for an absolute fact that there have been no firings in this ministry, they may well have got rid of the most obvious PRD 'botellas', but my friend was appointed by the previous government, is qualified for the job, and is still hanging in there.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
So sad, but it has to happen

I think these events are sad, but they need to happen. If the country is ever going to improve qualified people need to be placed in positions and this botella business just needs to end or at least be severely minimized. If things go as is then we will have another PRD admin. If that is what people want then don't complain when people don't have enough suero or IV or insulin etc.

It's easy to point the fingers at Haitains use of medical services but no comment when people are knocking hospital doors down demaning getting hired to drain all the operational funds.

It is soo eeringly quite in this thread....Thanks Chiri for creating it.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
deelt said:
It is soo eeringly quite in this thread....Thanks Chiri for creating it.

The reason why this thread is so quiet is because nobody in their right mind can defend these people's actions so there is no debate. This is not just a Dominican thing. There are actually people the world over(Including the US) who believe that they are entittled to jobs and that the Goverment should provide them. In the U.S. they are called Democrats!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tony C. - thanks for livening up a dreary thread. We're not expecting anyone to defend the protestors. About as much chance of getting a PPH supporter to show up and fight their corner.

The point for debate - if any - is whether this government is showing some restraint when it comes to the traditional practice of rewarding their supporters with government jobs. We are probably all in agreement that the government would benefit from continuity, with the appropriate professionals in the posts, and not the sullen nail-filing, catalogue browsing, crotch adjusting parasites we usually come up against when we visit government offices.

On reflection I think this thread belongs in the Government forum.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Fact: Leonel Fernandez government is increasing government spending at the same rate, if not faster than Mejia.

This merits repeating: Leonel is not fiscally prudent when it comes to spending!!!! He will set forth a DR$150Billion budget for 2005!

Sure he will cry that he is only keeping up with inflation....but how many Dominican workers have seen their pay keep pace with inflation.

Vis-a-vis Chiri's posit, what we are seeing here is what Leonel promised. He will cut the number of people on the payroll. He will increase the budget significantly. What this means, of course, is that if you are lucky enough to land a job with Fernandez, you are making a killing. That is why those people are pissed....they want a piece of the free-loading-bulging-fatttening pie!!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I almost forgot to mention (DR1 News reminded me) that those that are beenfitting from the bigger government spending are not just Dominican comesolos....no,no,no...the biggest benefactors are foreign banks and international aid (clear my throat) institutions. As a condition for facilitating Fernandez' ascension to power (i'm opining here), the foreign powers required that Fernandez pay back all the money that Mejia borrowed (stole).

So to be somewhat fair to Fernandez, a lot of the increase in his budget is getting shipped out of the country and into the waiting hands of the IMF, Bear Stearns, Merril Lynch, World Bank, etc,etc, et al.

If I were Fernandez, I would have declared a lot of those loans illegal and charged Mejia with treason and charged the foreign institutions with aiding and abetting a criminal.....but, of course, I am not Fernandez...and so you folks in the DR are relegated to substandard living for a long time to come.

PS Sorry for the tangent.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mondongo, you are right in that it appears there are fewer jobs up for grabs but the pay will be higher.

from Thursday's El Nacional:
http://www.elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=17008
Se dijo que la persona que sustituir? al encargado de almac?n quien recib?a 14 mil pesos, ganar?a 38 mil pesos, mientras que la encargada de laboratorio que devenga 11 mil pesos, ser?a sustituida por un dirigente del PLD, en cuyo nombramiento se especifica que ganar? 22 mil pesos.

The PLD has condemned their supporters' behaviour in this particular case.

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
mondongo said:
If I were Fernandez, I would have declared a lot of those loans illegal and charged Mejia with treason and charged the foreign institutions with aiding and abetting a criminal.....but, of course, I am not Fernandez...and so you folks in the DR are relegated to substandard living for a long time to come....
You are not Fernandez, but even if you were, who in this poor country of ours would dare leave institutions like IMF, World Bank, etc. without the moneys they're owed. - Nobody!

And with a bunch of PPH crooks taking on the streets, causing distress and trying to destabilize the country, I don't know if anyone would have the cojones of going further by accusing Hipo of corruption or treason ,or whatever, an dumping him in jail forever!

I think Leonel's doing the right thing... It was time to reduce that ridiculous government payroll and give some strength and meaning to our institutions... It was darn time!!

Let the comesolos and all Dominicans learn a lesson: working for the government should not be the road to fast wealth, but an opportunity to serve your country and work HARD for your money!! (I'm an idealist, can't help myself!! :rolleyes: )