does anyone in canada know of a better long distance rate plan??

susy

Sep 30, 2004
i've been using bell's long distant rate plan and it's 40 cents a
minute. then i also heard of using 1010-925-1-(area code)-(the
number) for 30 cents a minute.

does anyone know of any better long distance rate plans or cards
that they can recommend.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sprint is 17 cents a minute. It used to be more for cell phones but last time I called a cell phone they still only charged me 17 cents a min. The cheapest of course is if you get some calling cards with no connection fees and you're saving 15 % in taxes.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
I use this all the time...

www.tel3.com

It works very well, it knows which phone you are calling from so you don't have to put in a card # and (in the US anyway) it's 7.9 cents, no weekly fees...no minimums... let me know if you try it. I have been using it for about 6 months now with no problems...they even will recharge it automatically if you want to do that.

-Tim

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Primus Long distance

Primus offers .17 Cents/min to call DR and you can also collect Airmile or Aeroplan points each month. You can also add your cell phone to the plan and make your calls to DR for the same rate from your home phone.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bell charges me 17 cents to the DR and YAK COSTS 27 CENTS.My wife just bought a $5 card with 79 minutes, no connection fee-that works out to just over 6 cents per min. There lots of options.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Phone cards are the way to go!!

After frequent calling I noticed that depending on if you are calling a cell phone or land line you get different rates. Also I think that it depends on the phone (cell) company the reciever is using.

I was using the 20/20 phone card and for $10 I could get 157 minutes. Then after the hurricane hit I was only getting 78 minutes. So a friend told me about the JACKPOT card. With that one a $10 card gets me 178 minutes. No connection fees. When I put in the code it also gave me an extra $1.50. (I think that is why they call it jackpot) I also used my cell phone to call directly and Bell mobility charges 89 cents a min. What a rip off!!

MoReNiTa GuApA

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
MoReNiTa GuApA said:
After frequent calling I noticed that depending on if you are calling a cell phone or land line you get different rates. Also I think that it depends on the phone (cell) company the reciever is using.

I was using the 20/20 phone card and for $10 I could get 157 minutes. Then after the hurricane hit I was only getting 78 minutes. So a friend told me about the JACKPOT card. With that one a $10 card gets me 178 minutes. No connection fees. When I put in the code it also gave me an extra $1.50. (I think that is why they call it jackpot) I also used my cell phone to call directly and Bell mobility charges 89 cents a min. What a rip off!!

MoReNiTa GuApA

There's a new card out.. called Metro International. No connection fee and gives 39min/5$ and so far clarity is great.. those like Jackpot and Loco Latino who gives extra minutes usually have poor reception. You end up having the person on the other hand repeat everything twice.. so.. you do the math..

NubeLuz

Jul 23, 2004
try this

When I have to call in DR, I usually use 1010-620. It's 1$ for the first 8 minutes and then 15 cents a minute. No use for buying calling cards ...

NubeLuz -xxx- ;)

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
Sifa

I live in the Hamilton (Canada) area and I have found SIFA to be very good. It depends on whether you are calling a cell phone or land line and it depends on the carrier. I am calling orange and I get 142 minutes for a $10.00 card. I have been using this for some time and it's pretty reliable. There are no connection fees but if you try to call and get the answering machine you may have to pay a minute or 2.

You can order the cards over the internet at a discount and save some money running around. Here is the link: http://edencall.com/

Good luck...

susy

Sep 30, 2004
i too am from hamilton...

MrNiceGuy said:
I live in the Hamilton (Canada) area and I have found SIFA to be very good. It depends on whether you are calling a cell phone or land line and it depends on the carrier. I am calling orange and I get 142 minutes for a $10.00 card. I have been using this for some time and it's pretty reliable. There are no connection fees but if you try to call and get the answering machine you may have to pay a minute or 2.

You can order the cards over the internet at a discount and save some money running around. Here is the link: http://edencall.com/

Good luck...
what a small world...eh??

DRFLaCo

Apr 29, 2003
plaza.ufl.edu
BigZoo.Com

:eek: How calling SDQ / Dominican Republic for 0.045 / minute 24/7?

I was able to conduct a ten minute U.S. residential to Santo Domingo residential call for $4.50 (U.S.) using a prepaid plan offered by BigZoo; BigZoo.com.

<a href="http://plaza.ufl.edu/flaco">Carlos A. Delgado</a>
-30-

canadiangirl247

Jul 11, 2004
You could try some of these....

As far as phone cards go I have found that "Carribean Connection" works well. There is no connection fee and for a $10 card I get approx. 170 minutes to a DR cell phone. Again it depends on the phone number you are calling. The connection is pretty good.
Also, Bell has a new FirstRate worldwide plan out and the rates are 25 cents a minute to DR cell phone - not great but better than 40 cents.
I also came across this thing called "lucky call" You just dial 101-8888 and then the number you want to call and the call is automatically added to your regular phone bill. To a DR cell it is only 19 cents a minute. The "lucky" part comes into play because you can win a free call and other prizes too. You can check out their website if you want www.1018888.com
Still, phone cards are great because you know how much money you are spending ahead of time so it tends to lessen the shock a little when the phone bill arrives.
:laugh: Happy calling!!!!

susy

Sep 30, 2004
thanks a bunch!!

canadiangirl247 said:
As far as phone cards go I have found that "Carribean Connection" works well. There is no connection fee and for a $10 card I get approx. 170 minutes to a DR cell phone. Again it depends on the phone number you are calling. The connection is pretty good.
Also, Bell has a new FirstRate worldwide plan out and the rates are 25 cents a minute to DR cell phone - not great but better than 40 cents.
I also came across this thing called "lucky call" You just dial 101-8888 and then the number you want to call and the call is automatically added to your regular phone bill. To a DR cell it is only 19 cents a minute. The "lucky" part comes into play because you can win a free call and other prizes too. You can check out their website if you want www.1018888.com
Still, phone cards are great because you know how much money you are spending ahead of time so it tends to lessen the shock a little when the phone bill arrives.
:laugh: Happy calling!!!!

i just switched over to the new rate plan. at least it's going to save me a bit extra..and it's cheaper than the 1010-925 rate. thanks!

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Found this Card:

Hello,
I found this Card call "Maximum Caribbean" at my corner store in Ottawa. They are in $5 and $10 denomination for a $5 you could talk for 102 minutes to any phone in DR, less then a nickel a minute. Reception was loud and clear, no need to shout, just a little echo.

WebDev