Electricity woes

mastersro

Oct 9, 2004
Does anyone know of a contact within the new government that might be able to help resolve the electric problem in Costambar? For 10 years we have been on the short end of power and other public utilities. I read about communities having 24 hours of power every day but here it has not changed. Friday we went 13 hours without and yesterday 19 hours. When we call it is always the same lip service that Dominicans are famous for. There is always some special reason why our service is out however we know that the real reeason is that we are a community of foreigners and as such have no voting or political power. With the money that we provide to the local economy you would think they would put forth at least some effort. If you speak to local politicians, off the record of course, they will tell you "Well you are Costambar and are expected to have plants and inverters so we can provide more power to the poor areas" . That is fine and can be understood but abuse is abuse and no justification can be made for the extended periods of outages we receive. They could at least provide a fixed schedule so we would know daily exactly what hours we would have no power.The president of APC in Costambar has tried his best but to no avail. At any rate if anyone knows of a method that we as a community can use to get the attention of the new government it would be greatly appreciated.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your "Outages" are no different than most other places!

Problems continue all over the island.I live in Arroyo Hondo in Santo Domingo,and had no "street power" from Friday afternoon,until Saturday morning.
In this"Land Of Oz",where nothing makes sense,you have to wonder why you don't come first in the "pecking order" of who gets electricity?? I mean,you all would pay,if you got it! So why send it to the "barrios" who don't pay anyway??
You have to learn to be "Self-Sufficient" in the DR!
No water? have a cistern,and a "tinaco" to hold what little water you do get.Still no water? Dig a well!
"No Hay Luz?" got to have that inverter and lots of batteries! No electricity to charge the batteries? Turn on your "Planta" and run those air-conditioners!!
I didn't come here to live like a poor dominican,I have ALL the above "necessities"!
If you want an "Infrastructure",try North America,or Western Europe!Maybe Australia and New Zealand?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Same same...

I too live in Santo Domingo and have the same problems. Every single day!! Things got a bit better for a short while after the elections but now we seem to be back at square one. When people ask me about how it is like living in DR, I say it's great! BUT... the problem with the electricity really gets to you, at times...
One has to get used to it I suppose, otherwise it will get to you.

Co?o, diablo se fue la luz!!

mastersro

Oct 9, 2004
Criss Colon said:
Problems continue all over the island.I live in Arroyo Hondo in Santo Domingo,and had no "street power" from Friday afternoon,until Saturday morning.
In this"Land Of Oz",where nothing makes sense,you have to wonder why you don't come first in the "pecking order" of who gets electricity?? I mean,you all would pay,if you got it! So why send it to the "barrios" who don't pay anyway??
No water? have a cistern,and a "tinaco" to hold what little water you do get.Still no water? Dig a well!
"No Hay Luz?" got to have that inverter and lots of batteries! No electricity to charge the batteries? Turn on your "Planta" and run those air-conditioners!!
I didn't come here to live like a poor dominican,I have ALL the above "necessities"!
If you want an "Infrastructure",try North America,or Western Europe!Maybe Australia and New Zealand?
I expected a few "wave the dr flag responses" however I am not speaking about just one day. This is a problem that we experience daily. As my apartment is on a small hill I can look out across the highway and see that the lights are shining brightly elsewhere. If you speak with people who have been here for some time you will understand that this problem in Costambar extends into all areas of public utilities. What I would like to know is who out there has an intimate knowledge of the power distribution system? The Smith-Enron plant here is in our backyard but even when it is running i believe that most of it's generated power is distributed elsewhere. Under the new freedom of information act is there a location to receive distribution reports? Also I would like to know if anyone knows who or what committee decides this distribution. Someone must know these things. Thanks to anyone who has this information.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do You Actually Think That There Is "Rhyme Or Reason" behind

how the power is distributed in this country?? My power is on for 18 hours,off for 2,on for 20 minutes,off for 8 hours,on for 5 seconds,off again!Where do you think you are,a "REAL" country? Do you actually think that aanyone will give you a strait answer??Those who have no idea,give you an answer,those who know(If there are any) give you a "Bull$hit" story!

I started getting my neighbors water bill when the new meters were installed a few years ago.I also got his 40,000 peso arrears! I went to the water company,they sent out two "engineers" to check.We turned my meter on and off and checked to see that the water going into my cisterna went on and off as we did.They noted my meter number and left.Next water bill comes,it's still my neighbors! I go back,they tell me I'm wrong,it's my water bill and meter number!I tell them to turn me off,I have a well! "Wow"! they go,you don't have a well,but we have been charging you for a well,we will take that off your new bill.The new bill came in my name,with my neighbors bill,but only for one month.After that it still comes to my house but it's in my neighbors name,with his 40,000 peso debt!And you think they know what the hell is going on?? CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mharshman

Sep 23, 2003
mastersro said:
I expected a few "wave the dr flag responses" however I am not speaking about just one day. This is a problem that we experience daily. As my apartment is on a small hill I can look out across the highway and see that the lights are shining brightly elsewhere. If you speak with people who have been here for some time you will understand that this problem in Costambar extends into all areas of public utilities. What I would like to know is who out there has an intimate knowledge of the power distribution system? The Smith-Enron plant here is in our backyard but even when it is running i believe that most of it's generated power is distributed elsewhere. Under the new freedom of information act is there a location to receive distribution reports? Also I would like to know if anyone knows who or what committee decides this distribution. Someone must know these things. Thanks to anyone who has this information.

Costambar has always gotten the tail of the cow. However we could negotiate with the private power company in Cofressi. We would have to pay for the lines coming in and going out. Try to collect from the people in Costambar is futile. Most only live here a small part of the year and would not pay to connect to this service. Puerto Plata will get the first service even if they do not pay for this. As a small revolt I try and buy most of what I need in Santiago, and it still costs the same as NY.
However Criss is right ,only continue to live here if you can afford to,because it will continue to become more and more and more expensive. The groceries now cost the same as on St Thomas where everything is imported. Only all inclusive Hotels are cheap. The rest is expensive.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Criss Colon said:

He's right.

I live in SD and am fortunate enough to not be in an area with power outages. I pay over $200 USD per month for my electric in a 1-bedroom apartment. If I was experiencing the usual outages and lived in a home I would lay out the cash to be self-sufficient and discontinue street electric. You will probably break even or better and you can eliminate alot of stress from your life. I dream of the day I can tell the "compania de luz" to go to hell.

mastersro

Oct 9, 2004
Thanks all

Maybe you misunderstood. I have been here for 11 years and of course have all of the required amenities to sustain my foreign lifestyle. However this does not mean that I have to roll over and accept whatever gravy is served up. i am not looking for someone to provide me with more lip service. What I am going to find is who is generating and who is receiving electricity. Somewhere there is a paper trail and that is want i want. With a new legal system and new laws affecting information I feel it is time to begin my research anew. Thanks again.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't Waste Your Time On A "Fools Erand"!

Why are we here? Some for the beach and the warm tropical breezes.Some because you "CAN" live here more cheaply than abroad.( not like 5 or 10 years ago,but still possible!)The people,music,beer,whatever! So why waste your valuable time trying to figure out the Dominican Culture?I do much better since I developed an "I Don'T Give a $hit" attitude about all the "Upside Down" practices that are considered "Normal" here! Look at the DR1 Daily News today.Less than 50% of the electricity generated is ever paid for!!!Billions of pesos in import taxes never collected from the importers.Virtually everyone is "on-the-take" one way or another.
Relax brother,and enjoy whatever makes you happy about living here.But forget about finding "Justice" in a country that doesn't know the meaning of the word! Cris colon