Why are Dominican Americans mostly ignored in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damian

Aug 16, 2004
Except for just baseball, I never see Dominicans in American movies, music or television, and there has been Dominicans in America for a long time.

Mexicans, Cubans and Boricuas get more attention, I'm half Dominican and I know almost nothing about my roots.

Many Americans are ignorant about Dominicans, In the south where I live, people think Dominicans are a foreign black group. They're invisible in most America mainstream.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are wrong

There are several outstanding Dominicans in other fields than baseball. They just don't go around hooting "I'm a Dominican, see? I can dance merengue and drink Presidente!!" all the time.

Jos? Fern?ndez is one actor that comes to mind: He was the bad guy in one of the Crocadile Dundee movies..

Oscar de la Renta, of course. Nobody knows Rafael Padilla: I think that is the name,...he's one of the chief training pilots at American, and has given the check rides to the Air Force One pilots...

At the Cleveland Clinic there are several outstanding heart surgeons. One of the outstanding doctors in Phoenix is Dominican...

And Jos? Luis Guerra can fill a stadium almost anywhere in the world...

HB :D:D:D

Yeah, I almost forgot Julia Alvarez, the author...best seller in English and Spanish..

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Never see Dominicans in movies??? Rarely, maybe, but I can't say never. Just saw a pretty good independent film a couple of weeks ago that won critical review here in U.S. last year, "Washington Heights." Was by Dominicans, with Dominicans, about Dominicans.

And what about Maria Montez, all those decades ago?

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
Damian, you need to read a little bit more, there are actors/actress; Zoe saldana, miguel a nunez (half dominican, like you) etc..., try to subscribe to
this magazine called: dominican time at of new york city. It is on the internet.
good luck

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
As for not seeing Dominicans on TV... well, there's always that blonde lady on the morning talk show on Univision or Telemundo whose name escapes me at the moment... my wife loves her but I don't. The wife of some well-known Dominican producer...ah yes. Charytin. Not a shining example, but Dominican nonetheless.

Last edited:

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
There are few other dominicans too , but i think they stay low key about being Dominican cuase it might hurt thier careers (notice that many played strong African American roles)merlin santana(R.I.P) was Dominican ,he was on the steve harvey show , then there is alphonso ribeiro (carlton) from fresh prince of belair , i think one of the guys from fast in furious was dominican , i think his name is something morales ,michelle rodriguez is half dominican , she was in some surfing movie ,and the one where she is girl boxer ( i forgot most of the names of the movies) , she has had a few and as for u not knowing ur roots ,thats more your fault than any one elses(it could be your parents fault too) , and most people in the south have probably never met a dominican and know of them ONLY through baseball , so that explains the foriegn black people thing

Apr 26, 2002
Keith R said:
..."Washington Heights" ... [w]as by Dominicans, with Dominicans, about Dominicans
You mean by Boricuas, with Boricuas, about Dominicans. Ask your wife, she'll tell you. Dominican York falsificados!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
You mean by Boricuas, with Boricuas, about Dominicans. Ask your wife, she'll tell you. Dominican York falsificados!
I can't, she's abroad on a business trip at the moment. However, I double-checked through other means. I stand corrected. :(

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Profio another one you may be thinking about is
"Raising Victor Vargas" That was by B, with B, for...
D

The site to the DT is www.dominicantimes.com

Porfio_Rubirosa said:

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Along the same lines

Can anyone name any recent (last 20 yrs or so) well-known movies by Dominicans, with Dominicans, for Dominicans or anyone else interested?

Just interested in any titles.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
some has to tell these producers and directors to stop exploiting us cuase then when a dominican director wants to make a movie about Dominicans that scene is gonna be old and not interesting anymore, at least i think so

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
"soul plane"

toneloc24 said:
Can anyone name any recent (last 20 yrs or so) well-known movies by Dominicans, with Dominicans, for Dominicans or anyone else interested?

Just interested in any titles.
"soul plane" WAS PRODUCED/DIRECTED BY A DOM. I think his name is Terrero..?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Damian said:
Except for just baseball, I never see Dominicans in American movies, music or television, and there has been Dominicans in America for a long time.

Mexicans, Cubans and Boricuas get more attention, I'm half Dominican and I know almost nothing about my roots.

Many Americans are ignorant about Dominicans, In the south where I live, people think Dominicans are a foreign black group. They're invisible in most America mainstream.
There are many many dominicans that are very much involved with movies
in Hollywood.
The bad guy in Blade, and the producer of Soul Plane are dominicans
with out forgetting that there are also many dominicans in the day time soap operas as well as big time opera singers Cassanova and the director of the Wash D.C orchestra (both) dominicans.

But it is like some other board members said,
most of these guys are ashamed to claim their dominicaness because of the poverty of our country.
Only if we were a rich country these people start mentioning their roots.

Look at Andres Garcia, only resently is he saying that he is dominican after so many years pretending he was mexican. A mexican woulded look at you as if you were crazy if you woulded told them that he was dominican not mexican.

But to hell with these guys....You can put all of them together and they will never equal to our real Dominican and Hollywood queen " Maria Montez. http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Cinema/2892/index.html

Shelby Stokes

Oct 13, 2004
Research, Research and more Research

Damian said:
I'm half Dominican and I know almost nothing about my roots.

Hermano,
I think that you might need to correct this part of your history yourself. I found out, through research, that my Grandfather maybe from Dominican ancestory and I am making sure that I know all about myself. All aspects of myself. I know now that there is a reason why I have only been "In Love" with latin women, and this is been since I saw a picture of Sonia Braga when I was six. My mother tells me I act just like my grandfather and he tells me that his mother always told him he reminded her of his father, who he never met.

I tell you this to alert you to the fact that there are things that are present in your personality that will never be explained until you find out about all of who you are.

As for the famous, being that I live out here in Los Angeles(Hollywood). Most people tend to classify themselves, for work, as either Black or White. That is until they can make some kind of impact on the buisness. Jennifer Lopez, Peurto Rican, never admitted her real roots until she broke big after "Money Train".

Hit me up on coffee_cas@yahoo.com and I will give you some tips on how to find that part of you that may be missing.

Peace, Love and Hairgrease
Shelby Stokes

Damian

Aug 16, 2004
Shelby Stokes said:
Hermano,
I think that you might need to correct this part of your history yourself. I found out, through research, that my Grandfather maybe from Dominican ancestory and I am making sure that I know all about myself. All aspects of myself. I know now that there is a reason why I have only been "In Love" with latin women, and this is been since I saw a picture of Sonia Braga when I was six. My mother tells me I act just like my grandfather and he tells me that his mother always told him he reminded her of his father, who he never met.

I tell you this to alert you to the fact that there are things that are present in your personality that will never be explained until you find out about all of who you are.

As for the famous, being that I live out here in Los Angeles(Hollywood). Most people tend to classify themselves, for work, as either Black or White. That is until they can make some kind of impact on the buisness. Jennifer Lopez, Peurto Rican, never admitted her real roots until she broke big after "Money Train".

Hit me up on coffee_cas@yahoo.com and I will give you some tips on how to find that part of you that may be missing.

Peace, Love and Hairgrease
Shelby Stokes

Thanks, you're in my address :glasses:

Status
Not open for further replies.