A persistent social problem -Are there any solutions?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
An article published in el Caribe-Domingo 24-10-2004 titled "Piden plan para reducir embarazos de menores" reveals a persistent social problem that continues to plague young adolescent Dominicans-teenage pregnancy. According to statistics adolescent pregnancy is on the rise. Pregnancy prevention campaigns have proven to be ineffective. There has been an increase in pregnancy in the age group of 15-19 yrs according to La Encuesta Demogr?fica y de Salud 2002 (Endesa). Out of every 1000 pregnancies, 116 are adolescents.

According to the article:

"Instituciones como Profamilia y el Departamento Materno Infantil de Salud P?blica ponen su granito de arena para concienciar a los j?venes sobre los riesgos de la maternidad adolescente, pero sus esfuerzos resultan insuficientes".

These institutions are focusing their energies towards educating the youth but with a special focus geared towards adolescent females who find themselves in this unpredictable situation due to lack of planning and education among other contributing factors.

Since education seems to be the topic of week I decided to post this because I think the DR's education problem is two fold (I mentioned this in another debate). There is a problem with the quality of education (the teaching methodology) and the curriculum (what is being taught). A few questions I ask myself regarding this social problem are:

* Would class room education help to reduce the growing numbers?
* Education does play a role in this social crisis. Is this a socioeconomic problem?
* How effective are institutions like: Salud P?blica, Profamilia etc.?

Needless to say adolescent pregnancy greatly affects the future of young Dominicans and instigates and perpetuates many other social problems that usually follow. Continuing their education and pursuing future endeavors becomes difficult. I refuse to succumb to belief that this is "a cultural norm" but rather an alarming social problem that needs attention. Your opinion and insight would be greatly appreciated.

-Lesley D

Pib: If you feel this topic is inappropriate by all means: b?rralo. As well, please note this article was in the hard copy version of el Caribe (Octubre 24, 2004) that I have at hand, it was not posted in the on-line version.

Thanks.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I can only address a small part of your question.
It is my belief, simply from years of observing that there are less young teenage pregnancies than 10 years ago.
Perhaps they had no stats before and are just taking a guess that it is a worsening problem.
There are still a lot, of course, but the Dominican women/girls deal with the situation amazingly well.
We could all learn a lesson or two from them.
Education, no doubt is part of the solution, but I don't profess to know how to go about it.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Like Rocky I have my doubts. But I have no statistics, and the snippet you posted does not indicate for how long they have kept track of this. I am sure that in my grandma's days there were more teenage pregnancies, on account of teenagers been perfectly cromulent marrying material.

I was educated in a conservative Catholic school. It was good education but sorely lacking in the subject of birds and bees. And I am not talking about zoology. I doubt that it was any better in public schools.

The problem as I see it is the Catholic Church's unjustifiably large influence in matters that should only be considered by health authorities. This priggish attitude will take us nowhere.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Pib,

I will check out the article again and reference more of the statistical data (if provided). Okay I added what I think is relevant.

(Source= excerpt from: el Caribe, Domingo 24 de Octubre de 2004 are from 1996-2002)

?Se registr? un aumento (de embarazos) entre las j?venes de 15 a 19 a?os, seg?n la Encuesta Demogr?fica y de Salud 2002 (Endesa)
?Seg?n esas cifras, de cada mil mujeres que se embarazaron, 116 eran adolescentes, cuatro m?s que en 1996.
?Profamilia- la campa?a de Profamilia se concentra en 38 barrios marginados de la capital y de la provincia de Sto.Domingo, as? como en 24 barrios de Santiago, San Francisco, y San Juan de la Maguana.

==========================================================

As well, the key point of the article is that these are "j?venes embarazadas pero sin compromiso" . I know that way back when possibly our grandparents or parents got married very young but that's the key word they were in their teens but they got married. The article addresses a "growing concern" for those who are pregnant between ages 15-19 and left to raise the child in some cases children, go to school etc. In other words young, single parents.

I wish this article were posted on-line by el Caribe.

-Lesley D

Pib said:
Like Rocky I have my doubts. But I have no statistics, and the snippet you posted does not indicate for how long they have kept track of this. I am sure that in my grandma's days there were more teenage pregnancies, on account of teenagers been perfectly cromulent marrying material.

I was educated in a conservative Catholic school. It was good education but sorely lacking in the subject of birds and bees. And I am not talking about zoology. I doubt that it was any better in public schools.

The problem as I see it is the Catholic Church's unjustifiably large influence in matters that should only be considered by health authorities. This priggish attitude will take us nowhere.

Last edited: