Times are tough

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I've been here 5 times in 3 years and I have never seen so much despair.

It seems like an endless supply of people waiting and hoping for a customer, any customer.

I talk to taxi drivers who go several days without any business.
The 200 pesos per hour I offer is readily accepted by almost all of them.

So many people expect something for nothing simply because I am better off than they are.
"It's nothing for you" may be true but even 100P for something I don't need nor want is muy caro.
I don't even want to walk downtown Puerto Plata anymore because of these hombres who will not stop following me around.
I assume they are trying to get kickbacks because I am very blunt about telling them to get lost and they will get nothing from me.
The looks of hatred are too much.
It's as if they think you somehow owe them something and when they don't get anything they look like they want to kill you.

I am very generous when it comes to helping people out but I am not Mother Theresa nor am I Bill Gates.
I tip very well and give out numerous handouts but I don't like being told when to give or how much to give.
I will continue to spread as much cheer, tips, and presents as I can but I can't solve everybody's immense problems and I hope I don't get killed because of this simple reality.
I still have no desire to stay on the resort but I always hire a driver for everywhere I go now.

Adios and best wishes to everybody.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Please explain to me what is your motive behind this post?

Scare away the tourist who maintain this country?
Bring everybody down?
or what?

I think this had been discussed already in previous threads that already went past their "life expectancy" so why start a new thread full of complaints and whining?

I just don't see the purpose of this thread.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Nal0whs said:
Please explain to me what is your motive behind this post?

Scare away the tourist who maintain this country?
Bring everybody down?
or what?

No motive here amigo.

Just simply posting my current observations.

I believe that feeling uneasy walking around downtown represents a significant change for me.

If this topic has been beaten to death than this thread will quickly cease.
If my post is too depressing for you than why would you reply?