Living in Luperon

Status
Not open for further replies.

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
Can anyone tell me what it's like living in Luperon, I visited there once, and it was getting dark, did'nt see much of the place. Do they have a bank with ATM? Where is the nearness hospital?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
karenssp said:
Can anyone tell me what it's like living in Luperon, I visited there once, and it was getting dark, did'nt see much of the place. Do they have a bank with ATM? Where is the nearness hospital?
It's a one horse town.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Luperon is a very small town

It is supported by agriculture, mostly cattle, meat and milk, some cheese.

Tourism is coming in but still not the mainstay of the local economy.

When you mean "hospital" do you mean "good medical facility"? The answer would be: In Santiago, perhaps 45 minutes away.

Movie theater? No. Cable TV? Probably, every town has some form of cable.

It is last on the list for newspaper deliveries. No book stores nor large supermarkets, you'd have to go to Santiago for that. Same thing for any real shopping beyond rice, beans and onions and cooking oil...

Could you live there? Sure, and be happy with a very simple, no hassle life style devoid of much stimulation beyond the locals asking you why are you here?

HB:D:D

Nov 5, 2004
karenssp said:

Luperon is a lovely little town. Very friendly kind people. Hoewever, as far as living there, it would be very hard to get a job that you could live off of. You would need to be living off savings basically that you already have. They do have an ATM that doesnt usualy work. You can take the 10-20 minute drive to Imbert (depends who is driving!!) and use the ATM at the gas station. If that one is not working, I believe the next closest thing is Cofresi.

They have a hospital and doctors in Luperon. None of the hospital workers I met while I was there spoke English though. The better hospital system, and the real place to go if you have a bad problem is Puerto Plata.

If you want an exciting place with LOTS going on, and alot of nightlife, Luperon may not be the best place for you. How ever they do have a few little bars, and at least 2 nice discos. They have a few different pool halls, and some very nice little restaruants. My advice would be to go stay in the town for awhile first and see what you think.

There are a few places you can rent, there is the El Pariso Aparta Hotel right along the main street. As well as right across from there, there is a yellow building that says JUMBO gift shop. Find the man working there and he will rent out (if it is avaliable) the room above it at a very reasonable price. It is small but nice, has a blacony over the main street, shower, washroom, little fridge, comfortable bed, a dressing table with drawers. Has a TV, fan and air conditioner. There is a generator, which makes the fan, lights and TV work at all times. That place will give you an idea of what it would be like to live in Luperon. Go for a few months. See how you like it.

Get to know the local people, they are really the best thing about Luperon!!
Good luck, maybe I'll see you there in a few years! ;)

Last edited:

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
p.s. karen...do you know anyone in Luperon?

I have met Ronnie, but my husband knows him well. He is currently taken care of his boat (he is trying to sell it) which is in Luperon. I also met another man, can't remember his name, but I remember the name of his boat - Mas o Menos.

Karen

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
I have met!!!!!!!

PeachezNcream84 said:
p.s. karen...do you know anyone in Luperon?

I have met Ronnie who lives in Luperon, and is currently taken care of our boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.