Santiago to Las Terrenas -- Please help!

kellieLL

Oct 16, 2003
Anyone know the best way to get from Santiago to Las Terrenas?

I'm arriving Santiago in two weeks at 3:14 p.m.

Thank you!

K

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
it's not easy!

kellieLL said:
Anyone know the best way to get from Santiago to Las Terrenas?

I'm arriving Santiago in two weeks at 3:14 p.m.

Thank you!

K

From the airport in Santiago you get a cab to the caribe tours bus station. take the bus bound for Samana, but get off at the texaco station in the village of Sanchez. From there, a pickup truck leaves every 30 minutes for Las Terrenas. Yes that's right, the last leg of the trip is in the back of a pickup across the mountains! At least this was the way it was a year or so ago. It is possible you may be able to get a cab or guagua from Sanchez to Las Terrenas now.

Other option is to hire a cab all the way from santiago, which will probably cost at least US50.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is one Caribe Tours bus a day that goes from Santiago to Samana. It leaves about 6 am in the morning. If you stay over night in Santiago and take the bus, buy a ticket to Sanchez, the town before Samana. There are vehicles that meet the bus in Sanchez and take people over the mountain to Las Terrenas.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Kellie,

Since the only bus leaves at 6 AM, your only options to get there the same night are to rent a car and drive (probably not a good idea unless you have driven in the DR before) or hire a taxi to LT. You may want to consider this if you have already reserved your room in Las terrenas. The cost of a hotel room in Santiago plus cab fare to the hotel and then to the bus station, bus fare and transport from Sanchez to LT will probably be almost as much, or maybe more, depending on how much you spend for the hotel in Santiago.

kellieLL

Oct 16, 2003
thanks. . .

I'm going to take a taxi then.

DOes anyone have a driver in Santiago they can recommend? Or should I negotiate myself at the airport?

thanks

K

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Kellie, check with the hotel that you are going to stay at. Often, they can arrange for a driver to meet you at the airport for a lower rate than you would be able to negotiate for yourself.

Just curious, but where are you staying?

Rose

Betty Boop

Jun 11, 2004
kellieLL said:
I'm going to take a taxi then.

DOes anyone have a driver in Santiago they can recommend? Or should I negotiate myself at the airport?

thanks

K
Contact Rocio Valerio. Email address palomalinda0890@hotmail .com. Her and her boyfriend do an excellent taxi service/ tour guides. They live in Santiago. They will be very fair in price and very enjoyable. Tell them Liz from Montana referred you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Interesting

I told the young lady that I did not think anyone would do the trip for less than $100, probably more...we'll see

"Liz from Montana" ?? Any place near Cut Bank? I can't believe we have had two visitors from Montana down here in the same year!! Oh my we are getting famous..

HB :D:D

Betty Boop

Jun 11, 2004
Hillbilly said:
I told the young lady that I did not think anyone would do the trip for less than $100, probably more...we'll see

"Liz from Montana" ?? Any place near Cut Bank? I can't believe we have had two visitors from Montana down here in the same year!! Oh my we are getting famous..

HB :D:D
About 150 miles south west of Cut Bank.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
sweetdbt said:
Other option is to hire a cab all the way from santiago, which will probably cost at least US50.

Taxi fare is going to be in the area of US $140 if you use the online tariff published by Rafael Silva as a guide. PJT through his own experiences has found his tariff to be within the rates used by the airport taxi's. You could negotiate a lower rate but I would suggest nobody would go below $120.

The use of the taxi would be your best option because by the time you clear the airport arrival process it is going to be late in the afternoon. You will probably desire to get to your destination ASAP, a taxi will get you there that evening. Bus transport as we have learned requires an overnight in Santiago, an extra cost, at the expense of having the stress to arise early in the morning to secure motorcoach transport and having less holiday time in Las Terrenas.

www.dominicantaxi.com/Rates.html

Enjoy your stay and regards,
PJT