Santo Domingo to Las Galeras... rent a car? taxi? bus?

elemi

Oct 23, 2004
Hi everyone!

I?m planning to go from Santo Domingo?s airport directly to Las Galeras... what do you recommend me to do? I?m trying to spend the less money I can as I don?t have much but of course I don?t want to loose a day lost trying to find the place. So the question is: what would you recommend me to do to get there? And here goes some other questions:
- How much would it cost to take a taxi from the airport to Las Galeras?
- Is it an easy route to drive by myself in a rented car? By the way I?m argentinian so I speak spanish.
- Where should I go to take a bus to Las Galeras? I suppose that there are no buses from the airport.
- If I choose to rent a car, would I need a 4x4 vehicle?
- Would it be best to go to Las Galeras by bus and then rent a motorcycle there that would cost less money?

Any advice concerning this would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Emiliano

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Will cost a fortune to go by taxi from Las Americas -- would think about RD$5,000.

Options:

Take a Caribe Tours bus to Samana. You need to take a taxi to Santo Domingo (about RD$700). Takes about half an hour to get into the city. Buses from Santo Domingo (Caribe Tours) leave at 7, 8:30, 10, 1:30, 2:30 and 4:00. Takes about four hours to Samana city. Costs RD$210 (about US$7). Then from Samana take a taxi from the bus stop to your hotel (about 20-30 minutes from Samana to Las Galeras), costs RD$700. So about RD$1,600 to go by bus and taxis.

Would think that for around that price you could rent a car, including full insurance, and go at your leisure. My suggestion would be to overnight in Santo Domingo, giving you one day to enjoy the colonial city. Lots of boutique hotels (check outhttp://dr1.com/directories/index.shtml). For car rental information see http://www.dr1.com/national and the others listed at http://dr1.com/directories/index.shtml

If you rent a car, pick up a good map in Carrefour shopping center at Duarte Highway, on the way out of city. And always ask, ask, ask, even if you think you are headed in the right direction. If you get stuck, hire a motoconcho to guide you to a main road and set you right.

Leave early so you get full mileage out of your car rental day. Having a car is important in Samana as there are so many places to go to. Best to rent a pick up or small jeep that is high up, but you can get around in a car.

Last edited:

elemi

Oct 23, 2004
Gracias!

Gracias Dolores!

You have provide me with excelent information. I think we will stay in Boca Chica for the night we arrive and leave on the next morning. We will stay in Santo Domingo but the 2nd week as I?ve won 1 week in an all-inclusive hotel there and would like to be in Santo Domingo for the independence day celebration.

Would it be easy to rent a car from Boca Chica? Can I rent a normal car or will I needs 4x4 vehicle to get to some of the spots in Saman?? I?m still doubtfull if I should rent a car from the begining and drive directly to Saman? or if we should take the bus till there and then rent a vehicle in Las Galeras. Do you think in Las Galeras it would be more expensive to rent a car that say Boca Chica? By the way we are going to be 2 travelling.

Any other recommendation will be welcomed.

Thanks!

Emi

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
In case you don't want the long bus / car journey there are also regular flights Herrera - Portillo at 10:00am and 4:00pm every day which only cost US$55.00 per person...then you could get a taxi from El Portillo to Samana. Return flight's leave portillo at 8:30am, 3:00pm and 4:45pm (the return flight costs US$65.00 if it stops at Las Americas airport)
book by e mail ventas@aerodomca.com or by phone 567 1195
Maggiemay ;)