Chavez-Leonel???

Rocvill214

Aug 23, 2004
Chavez is becoming nervous since Castro's "fall", he knows that besides caastro he has no other governments to support his pro-communist regime, so hes buying us towards his side lol. The way i see it By signing the Oil treaty leonel is looking to alliviate the blackouts.... and if he does this and stops them with chavez's cheap oil, hes going to be immensely popular and maybe unstopable. So its a win-win situation for both governments.

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
Proud of Leonel

It's great to have an intelligent president again!!
The way he handeled this situation is politics at it's best. He gave chavez thanks for the sweet deal, and then he says he can help Venezuela-USA relations... He's saying to chavez, I'm with you...but US is my daddy.. a' la pedro style...
Great way to get what we need without pissing anybody off :D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
And Leonel likened Chavez to Caama?o in a very emotional speech, having previously emerged at the Rio Summit as a prime mover in addressing the problem of Haiti. Very smart.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Rocvill214 said:
Chavez is becoming nervous since Castro's "fall", he knows that besides caastro he has no other governments to support his pro-communist regime, so hes buying us towards his side lol. The way i see it By signing the Oil treaty leonel is looking to alliviate the blackouts.... and if he does this and stops them with chavez's cheap oil, hes going to be immensely popular and maybe unstopable. So its a win-win situation for both governments.

Check this website...

www.gregpalast.com

Rocvill214

Aug 23, 2004
nice articles about venezuela

Kaizen68 said:
Check this website...

www.gregpalast.com

The articles featured are a bit pro-chavez, and pro communist but i guess i the website as a whole theme centers around the the latter. The last article about venezuela in the latin american section is about how chavez is igniting tensions between the upperclass and the lower just as castro did so as to gain control, As i pointed out in my original post chavez is getting desperate and will try anything to stay in power. To the Other posters, Yes leonel is amanzingly smart and thats defenatly a good thing for DR, I just hope the people vote those PRD scum bags out of congress since they will empede leonel in passing real reforms.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
where's the desperation?

chavez is getting desperate and will try anything to stay in power.

Lately I?ve been following Venezuelan politics very closely, and my interpretation is that Chavez is the farthest thing from desperate, more now that he was practically picked off most governorships and city governments in the last elections. Chavez is running unchallenged and way ahead of the pack, there?s no coherent opposition, and no outstanding anti-Chavez leadership. Chavez political discourse has been very effective, he?s been able to exploit the traditional distrust of US foreign policy of the majority of the population.

is igniting tensions between the upperclass and the lower

The tension was already there, after forty years of the previous regime, the poor were no better off. So it wasen't difficult for Chavez to convince the poor that they had been led all along, as from a carrot on a stick, and that the old regime was at fault.

In order to unseat Chavez, the opposition has to come up with something really creative.

Mirador

principe

Nov 19, 2002
A- In report card

for those of you keeping score Leonel got a A- in his foreign policy class

Rocvill214

Aug 23, 2004
Hlywud said:
Leonel makes a sweet deal good.....

But when did Castro fall?????????

He "fell" and hit the floor lol. and this has reminded everyone of his old age.
which isnt a good thing for his regime.

Rocvill214

Aug 23, 2004
Mirador said:
Lately I?ve been following Venezuelan politics very closely, and my interpretation is that Chavez is the farthest thing from desperate, more now that he was practically picked off most governorships and city governments in the last elections. Chavez is running unchallenged and way ahead of the pack, there?s no coherent opposition, and no outstanding anti-Chavez leadership. Chavez political discourse has been very effective, he?s been able to exploit the traditional distrust of US foreign policy of the majority of the population.

The tension was already there, after forty years of the previous regime, the poor were no better off. So it wasen't difficult for Chavez to convince the poor that they had been led all along, as from a carrot on a stick, and that the old regime was at fault.

In order to unseat Chavez, the opposition has to come up with something really creative.

Mirador

Chavez is desperate in that he will try and do anything to stay in power, including enticing the poor to revolt, and of course buying support from neighboring countries.
Everytime this guy opens his mouth all that comes out is communist rhetoric, in the Rio summit, and during the signing of the petro treaty all he did was bad mouth the "common enemy" the USA like castro has so brilliantly done for over 40 years.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rocvill214, expediency aside, you have to admire the guy. Chavez has won nine straight elections. The strategy is very straightforward, the 'have-nots' are 70% versus 30% of the 'haves', and majority wins. After 40 years, the previous regime's politicians failed miserably to convince the 'have-nots' that they would soon join the 'haves'. Actually, it's Chavez who's keeping the 'have-nots' from revolting.

Mirador