canada wants to adopt dominican children from orphanage

joval

Nov 8, 2004
We want to adopt two/or three children from an orphanage that we visited twice while in DR. ( Even more so now that I have read news stories about the problems at this orphanage >cuidad de los ninos san francisco javier )
I can not beleive how difficult adoption is when these children are in need of love and family, in a caring environment where they can grow up healthy educated adults. Anyhow, any and all information re: adopting children from there, to live in Ontario Canada, would be helpful. There must be some type of Church involvment in this situation as the children's guardians are part of the catholic church establishment.?? The easiest and fastest way possible to get these children out of there ! Can anyone help.?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While I have followed in disgust and horror

the stories from the eastern part of the island, I don't think that you realize the complexity of an adoption here.

Many of the kids are not orphans in the real sense of the work. They have a parent or in some cases two parents. They are just too poor to take care of them. In other cases they are tru rphans, but with family that has managed to get them into an orphanage (for better or for worse.)

Adoption for non-Dominicans is probably more complex than adoption for Dominicans and even here there is a four or five year waiting list.

You might want to visit the DR next time and look at this one aspect, really more of a working holiday.

And no, there does not have to be any church connection, whatsoever.

HB:D:D wishing you luck

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
a couple ideas

I do not have any first hand knowledge of this but was thinking if you haven't already, try the Ontario gov't website. It has some valuable information on international adoptions. Their website is:
http://www.children.gov.on.ca/CS/en/programs/Adoption/Publications/NonRelativeGuide.htm

Recently on CBC (I think), there were some stories featuring couples from Alberta who were adopting children from Haiti. If I recall, their processing time took 12 - 18 months. The processing time may differ for the DR. It didn't look easy but the smiles on their faces showed it was worth it. They went through a Christian Agency based out of Alberta. Sorry, I do not recall the name but there are probably such agencies based in Ontario. It seems by reading the website, the adoption should be initiated on the Canadian end.

I also ran across a seminar that will be happening in North York, ON. I'm not sure if you're anywhere near that but they may have some helpful information for you as well. The information is:

International Adoption - Education Seminar
Saturday, December 4, 2004
An in-depth, one-day education seminar for parents adopting internationally.
To register, contact Sofie Stergianis, 36 Felbrigg Ave. North York, On. M5M 2L9. (416) 483-0003. sofie@ica.net

http://www.dreaming.org/~aco/acomain.html

Even if you can not make it maybe the contact name there can help. I think Hillbilly's suggestion of taking another trip down for more research is a fabulous idea too. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good luck! I wish you the best!!!!

shoaib

Aug 2, 2005
shoaib

joval said:
We want to adopt two/or three children from an orphanage that we visited twice while in DR. ( Even more so now that I have read news stories about the problems at this orphanage >cuidad de los ninos san francisco javier )
I can not beleive how difficult adoption is when these children are in need of love and family, in a caring environment where they can grow up healthy educated adults. Anyhow, any and all information re: adopting children from there, to live in Ontario Canada, would be helpful. There must be some type of Church involvment in this situation as the children's guardians are part of the catholic church establishment.?? The easiest and fastest way possible to get these children out of there ! Can anyone help.?

I am shoaib form Madagascar, age 17, really in need of people like you, if u can adopt me and accept me, i will be thankful for your kind favour..My ID is shoaibfeb1988@yahoo.co.in

Last edited:

shoaib

Aug 2, 2005
shoaib

joval said:

I am shoaib form Madagascar, age 17, really in need of people like you, if u can adopt me and accept me, i will be thankful for your kind favour.. My ID is shoaibfeb1988@yahoo.co.in

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
shoaib said:
I am shoaib form Madagascar, age 17, really in need of people like you, if u can adopt me and accept me, i will be thankful for your kind favour.. My ID is shoaibfeb1988@yahoo.co.in

I think people are more interested in adopting young helpless children not someone that in a year will be an adult in most countries. ;)