Las Terrenas questions (hurricane damage, budget hotels)

neoyorquina

Aug 17, 2004
I've been planning my upcoming trip to the Dominican Republic for months. I did my research and decided the Samana Peninsula was the place for me. (I'm used to very independent traveling and am not interested in staying at an all-inclusive.) Then I watched the news as storm after storm passed over the peninsula. I've read the report they've helpfully put here, which indicates that there is no significant damage to buildings, but I'm wondering about whether the natural beauty has held up. I've seen in other places how it can take years after a hurricane for the trees to grow back. Is it still as beautiful as ever or will I be happier if I visit another beach area?

I'm also trying to choose a hotel. I want a super cheap hotel. (I'm going to be at the beach all day, so what do I care about how the hotel looks?) I'm considering Diny, Fata Morgana, Los Holandeses, and Kanesh. The main question I haven't been able to find an answer to is what part of town will be best. I don't want to be in an area that's too secluded, especially because I won't have a car. On the other hand, I want to be able to walk to a nice beach. Diny is right in the center of town, but doesn't sound like a very nice place. Fata Morgana looks far from both the beach and town. Los Holandeses looks like it's not too far from Punta Bonita, but pretty far from town. Kanesh is on Playa Las Ballenas but may be far from town. But it's hard to get a sense of distances from looking from a map. It could be a five minute walk or a half hour!

Also, how far is it from town to Playa Bonita, Playa Coson, and the beaches to the east? Would it be easy to take a taxi or a motoconcho?

One last question: Is it at all possible to get to Playa Rincon for a day trip? Is it worth spending a night or two in Samana or Las Galeras in order to check out some of the other sights on the peninsula?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you are an independent traveler, then come on down and check out the places for yourself. Outside of Christmas and New Years, there should be availability on spot there. I would recommend that you stay in different beach areas of Samana, like that you get to truly enjoy the area. Samana is a large province, and Las Galeras/Rincon area is far from the Las Terrenas/Playa Bonita/Cozon area (can be walked to through a trail from the western end of Las Terrenas beach). For the cheaper hotels, consider booking into those that are not on the beach, but inside. Considering renting a car for a day, especially in the Terrenas area, to get your bearings and check all these possible staying places out. Then you know where you want to settle.

dmad

Jun 12, 2004
Still Looks Good

I was in Samana and Las Terrenas last week,and though there is a lot of trees down it certainly still has its beauty.Clean up is going on everywhere.The smell of burning palms gets a little much after a while.
In Samana I stayed at the Bahia De View right across from the half built arena.Clean rooms and very affordable about 30.00 U.S.
Hope you have a great trip.

neoyorquina

Aug 17, 2004
Thanks, Dolores, that's a good idea about not making reservations. I never ever used to make reservations, until I got caught in Mexico without a place to stay, forgetting that it was high season. I'll just wing it and we'll be fine.

I guess I won't give up on the Samana area, just cut it some slack if it's a little messy.

Thanks!