Punta Cana Airport (PUJ) Taxi Rates

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The following is taxi rate information from Punta Cana Airport that
PJT has acquired in response to the many inquiries about surface
transportation and costs. Rates are in US Dollars.

Siutratural
Taxi Service 24 Hours from Punta Cana Airport (PUJ)

Destination **One Way

Uvero Alto US $ 50.00
Macao 35.00
Breezes 26.00
Grand Paradise 26.00
Bah?a Pr?ncipe 24.00
Hoteles Riu 24.00
Hoteles Iberostar 24.00
LTI Punta Cana 24.00
Punta Cana Princess 24.00
Caribe Club Princesa 22.00
Hotel Paradisus Punta Cana 22.00
Bavaro Princesa 22.00
Plaza Bavaro 22.00
Hotel Flamenco Bavaro 22.00
Hoteles Fiesta 22.00
Hotel Cayacoa 22.00
Manati Park 18.00
Hotel Cortecito Inn and/or Capitan Cook 22.00
Hotel Carabela 22.00
Hotel Ocean Bavaro 22.00
Los Corales 22.00
Hotel Melia Caribe Tropical 22.00
Hotel Villas Bavaro, Bavaro Village 18.00
Bavaro Beach Resort 18.00
Natura Park Resort 22.00
Allegro Resort and Sunscape Grand 22.00
Hotel Catalonia 22.00
Hospiten Bavaro 10.00
Club Med and/or Corales Punta Cana 9.00
Punta Cana Beach Resort and/or Marina P.C. 10.00
Sueno Caribe 10.00
Juanillo 22.00

Long Distance Trips

Destination **One-Way; **Two-Way

Otra Banda US $ 30.00; US $ 45.00
Higuey 45.00; 55.00
El Seibo 80.00; 90.00
Hato Mayor 95.00; 110.00
Miches 110.00; 120.00
Sabana de la Mar 120.00; 150.00
Club Dominicus 80.00; 90.00
La Romana 80.00; 90.00
San Pedro de Macor?s 90.00; 100.00
Juan Dolio 95.00; 110.00
Boca Chica 100.00; 115.00
Aeropuerto Las Americas 110.00; 120.00
Santo Domingo 120.00; 150.00
Santiago 210.00; 240.00
Puerto Plata(Sosua) Aerop. 265.00; 300.00
Samana 300.00; 325.00
Las Terrenas 300.00; 325.00
Barahona 300.00; 325.00
Lago Enriquillo 325.00; 360.00

These Prices are From One to Five Person Over Time _ Hora Extra $10.00
Prices Are Inspected And Authorized Be Secretary Of Tourism Of The
Dominican Republic

**Disclaimer: These locations and prices were those presented to me, (PJT),
on November 9, 2004. These may or may not be the actual tariffs. This
posting is for reference information only. The actual tariff is subject to change
at any time. Clients may be able to negotiate lower rates with taxi operators.

Regards,
PJT

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Beron Taxi is allowed to pick you up at PUJ

Last July, after reading a couple of PJTs posts about transport in the East, I decided to phone Beron Taxi (tel. 552-1013) the day before arriving at PUJ instead of using the Siutratural ones waiting at the airport. I booked a transfer to Higuey for 700 R$ (less than half the price).
Here is what happened:
The Siutratural guys had already asked me a couple of times if I needed a taxi, then when the Beron taxi showed up and I wanted to get in, they immediately blocked his car with 3 of their taxis. POLITUR got involved because by now there were like 8 taxi guys insulting and threatening the Beron guy saying that they had the monopoly there. The Politur cop asked me to prove to the guys that I had the Beron phone number which I did. Then he explained to the upset Siutratural guys that Beron Taxi is allowed to pick up people if they have been asked to do so, but that Beron cannot park their cars and just wait for people to come out of the airport like Siutratural does.
So they all had to move their cars and with a 15 minute delay I left for Higuey in the Beron taxi.

If you don't want to be ripped off, call Beron Taxi, you might get some trouble with the others but eventually they have to let you go.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
With respect Bartolomeo67,

That's just way more hassle and drama than the average tourist needs to start off his vacation. Also way beyond the average gringo's Spanish ability, I'm sure.

Gregg

El Maestro 23

Sep 23, 2004
True

:eek:
FireGuy said:
That's just way more hassle and drama than the average tourist needs to start off his vacation. Also way beyond the average gringo's Spanish ability, I'm sure.

Gregg

True this may be more of a hassle to the average turist but if you don't want to get ripped off that is a good option. Although not everyone will have access to this post or this page but the ones who do have the TELEPHONE NUMBER now. And if they care enough about their money they should call ahead. But if anyone wants to go to DR and be a "gringo" and get charged triple for everything then good luck.

Anytime you go to another country you are subject of being ripped off in the sense that you pay more than the locals only cause you are a tourist or because you dont know the diff options you may have but everyone should do a little research before hand when traveling.

EM23 :bandit:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Rates in Perspective

Putting things in perspective.

Yes, Siutratural has a monopoly at the airport and yes they charge tourist prices. Why? They have the monopoly, tourists have the money, the govt. sees nothing out of order.

Beron taxi is a cheaper option, downside is you have to arrange for them to meet you at the airport and you wait and you can expect Siutratural to hassel them as happened to Bartolomeo67.

Rates in perspective: ( A unscientific PJT survey )

Siutratural rate PUJ to Plaza Bavaro US $22 at 24 km = $.91/km.
Unpublished rate Halifax AP YHZ to center Halifax US $34 at 35 km = $ .97/km
Published rate *Boston BOS to Salem US $50 at 23 km = $ 2.17/km
*Boston taxi's have the monopoly to pool at the airport. Outside Boston origin taxi services are by call for pick-up only.

Regards,
PJT

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Actually PJT,

I paid $34.50CDN YHZ to my home in Dartmouth on my return from PUJ.

My point (and dont forget the use of ;) in my post as I was not complaining about the rates) was that there is no real negotiating. I actually thought the rate of $24US to the Riu complex was reasonable for the distance and on the return to the airport the driver was pleased to stop at a supermercado as we requested. I just didn't want there to be misunderstandings that there would be any real meaningful negotiating with the Siutratural taxi drivers.

Most tourists are spending several thousand dollars to vacation in PUJ and if saving $10US on a taxi fare makes a real difference - they should examine why they ever left home. It's way too much hassle when the purpose is usually relaxation, IMHO.

Bartolomeo67, as far as whether a tourist 'wants to go to DR and be a "gringo" and get charged triple for everything' well most of us are "gringos" and few know that they are being overcharged. Of those of us that do know, few care to impact their vacations with stressing over the "small stuff". And the few (very, very few I am sure) who don't mind the cost of the long distance call to pre-arrange the Beron taxi (is it actually V?ron?), wait the extra time until it arrives, put up with the Siutratural taxi hassle and delay - all to save $10US (+ or -); well they can have it, IMHO. Of course I am speaking soley as lowly "gringo" (LOL).

Gregg

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Correct

FireGuy said:

Gregg

Gregg,
I completely agree that the average AI tourist doesn't want this and is not bothered to pay double. I posted it because it was such a hilarious situation, at least if you understand spanish. I just wanted to point out for the advanced DR traveller that there is another option than to get ripped off by the monopolizing taxi company at PUJ.
In my case, I had no business at all in the Punta Cana area and needed to get to Santo Domingo. I didn't fly into SDQ because from Europe, charter flights to PUJ or POP are usually much cheaper and more comfortable since they are direct (no need to change planes in Paris, Madrid, NYC or Miami). It's a long enough flight from Europe already.
Bartolomeo

Samantha18

Jun 7, 2003
how can i easily and cheap get to san pedro from punta cana airport, arriving in the late afternoon?

abhinavlal

Mar 25, 2006
taxi at Punta Cana Airport

I was a little nervous to get a taxi from Punta Cana to Melia Caribe Tropical (12 miles). This forum did help a lot to know what different people experienced and the standard rates so I decided to take the risk of not making any taxi bookings and go with the pink shirt "mafia" taxi..

I must say we had no problems at all and the pink shirt taxi driver was very courteous and did not charge us any extra money. The standard rate was $25 and I ended up tipping anather $3 because our driver was very courteous and prompt. No waiting...no picking up other passengers..no problems whatsoever.

On our way back we reserved our taxi via the hotel with some private taxi which was not the "pink shirt". This taxi ended up picking up other passengers from a nearby hotel and delayed our travel..the rate was the same $25 but we did not tip because of the delay.

Overall I would just go with the pink shirt taxi..they are good!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I was reading the prices for taxis from PUJ airport to the different hotels in the area...but the original post is from 2004...

Would anyone have any idea what the prices are now?

We're arriving in PUJ on May 22, my daughter, her husband, baby and grandma..for the first time together!!!

Would just about $30 each way to Bahia Principe be sort of the norm?

Thanks for the info...

MQ

fairhaven

Jul 8, 2006
what about busing?

All the taxi information is great although I would also like to know about more recent prices. I was also wondering if anyone had any idea about the busing rates and stops that they make. I was hoping to travel from punta cana to Jarabacoa. Thanks for the information

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi MQ,
the Bahia principe is within your $30.- range and a cab you take from the airport, they are located right where you leave customs holding up signs(TAXI!!!), will never do a stop to pick up other customers.
the above mentioned ride organizes by the hotel(or an hotel employee) seems to be a shuttle, so the rate was expensive.
fairhaven:
to travel around the island(Jarabacoa is in the center and min 6hrs from the punta cana area, one way) you should arrange directly with a cab driver, take only the ones located at the airport(inside), right at your hotel or at the public taxi points like e.g. at the Plaza Bavaro, they are all only two companies and reliable, pick out a driver who is speaking a good english and make your deal with him, they know their country so they are good guides too.
have fun

Mike

chevyole

Sep 24, 2006
Current Taxi Rates

Hello:

My family and I will be traveling to Punta Cana at the end of October 2006. Would you happen to know the current taxi rates from Punta Cana airport to Melia Caribe Tropical ?

Your help would be much appreciated!

Mark

chevyole

Sep 24, 2006
Hello:

My family and I will be traveling to Punta Cana at the end of October 2006. Would you happen to know the current taxi rates from Punta Cana airport to Melia Caribe Tropical ?

Your help would be much appreciated!

Mark

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
busses from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

Would anybody have information on public busses and transport from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana airport. I am travelling in about one week.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Arrica,
in santo domingoyou have to go to the "Parque Enriquillo", there are several bus stations at the same square for the different directions, ask for the bus to Higuey.
in higuey they drop you at the bus station to catch the bus for Punta Cana. costs are around $4.- for the bus from santo domingo to higuey, an other $2.- for the one from higuey to the airport.
there's an other bus service named "Expresso Santo Domingo Bavaro", they start from their office central santo domingo and also from that Parque Enriquillo, but they don't pass by the airport, anywys their service been going down a lot, so the first mentioned route are the better choice anyways between santo domingo and bavaro/punta cana.
the whole trip will take 3 1/2 hrs.
have fun
Mike

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Hi Mike,
Thanks for this info - would you know how late in the day (evening) the busses run? -I arrive into SD (centro, not airport) rather late in the afternoon

Arrica