Police forces in the DR

cutedevil

Nov 5, 2004
Different types of police

Hi All

Can somebody explain the different types of police, i have read in the news of Amet, The National police and the municipal police. What is the difference, ie in uniforms, authority and what areas they work in.

Thanks

Sorry if this is not in context with this thread but maybe somebody could explain how to post a question properly.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
cutedevil said:
Hi All

Can somebody explain the different types of police, i have read in the news of Amet, The National police and the municipal police. What is the difference, ie in uniforms, authority and what areas they work in.

Thanks

Sorry if this is not in context with this thread but maybe somebody could explain how to post a question properly.

AMET used to be just in charge of traffic, but they are now merged with the National Police. So they are also now in charge of citizen safety. AMET was born so as to have a non-corruptible force. Its men were paid double what police agents were getting, and requirements to enter were higher. But during the past government, the two were merged again and the standards of AMET men has diminished in many cases.

The Municipal Police is being questioned. They supposedly serve the municipalities and do work such as security at cemeteries. But that they do this work is doubtful and this corpse has been involved in questionable activities. Most of its members are officers, not men of the ranks that do patrol or any kind of real work. Now the Minister of Interior wants to eliminate this force of 700 men nationwide.

There is also the banking police that is in charge of security of financial institutions (and receive special training), and the tourism police (Politur), a force that is trained to serve the hospitality industry.

But the largest police force is the private police force that surged due to the collapse of the efficiency of the police. This force is paid by companies and individuals that require extra security. You can see them in stores and guarding companies.

cutedevil

Nov 5, 2004
Dolores said:
AMET used to be just in charge of traffic, but they are now merged with the National Police. So they are also now in charge of citizen safety. AMET was born so as to have a non-corruptible force. Its men were paid double what police agents were getting, and requirements to enter were higher. But during the past government, the two were merged again and the standards of AMET men has diminished in many cases.

The Municipal Police is being questioned. They supposedly serve the municipalities and do work such as security at cemeteries. But that they do this work is doubtful and this corpse has been involved in questionable activities. Most of its members are officers, not men of the ranks that do patrol or any kind of real work. Now the Minister of Interior wants to eliminate this force of 700 men nationwide.

There is also the banking police that is in charge of security of financial institutions (and receive special training), and the tourism police (Politur), a force that is trained to serve the hospitality industry.

But the largest police force is the private police force that surged due to the collapse of the efficiency of the police. This force is paid by companies and individuals that require extra security. You can see them in stores and guarding companies.

Thanks Dolores

What are the different uniforms as i have seen some in white shirts/black trousers and some in combat uniform and some in blue uniforms do these uniforms denote what section of the police they are from.

thanks

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Dolores said:
The Municipal Police is being questioned. They supposedly serve the municipalities and do work such as security at cemeteries. But that they do this work is doubtful and this corpse has been involved in questionable activities.

Oh Dolores.............. laughed my head off at that PUN (intended or NOT, it was so funny!!)!!! ~ Grahame.

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Er..no

cutedevil said:
Thanks Dolores

What are the different uniforms as i have seen some in white shirts/black trousers and some in combat uniform and some in blue uniforms do these uniforms denote what section of the police they are from.

thanks

Well in our Town, since they dont come out after dark, they seem to wear whatever is clean at the time, although I have to admit that whatever they do wear is clean and pressed. I still cant tell if they are soldiers, police, or some banditos. The present Police Chief wears brown combat uniform. The last one wore blue combat. the one before wore blue/grey uniform. The Police Motorcyle rider when he is not transporting his wife and kids seems to wear multicoloured shirt and jeans. He may be undercover but the motorcycle still has police on the side!!..The have now repaired the Police Jeepetta since it went up in flames after a disturbance. ..So its still Smith and Wesson security company at my casa but the Police Chief did say....Call us in the morning IF.....Cheers. M.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
mikeyone said:
Well in our Town, since they dont come out after dark, they seem to wear whatever is clean at the time, although I have to admit that whatever they do wear is clean and pressed. I still cant tell if they are soldiers, police, or some banditos. The present Police Chief wears brown combat uniform. The last one wore blue combat. the one before wore blue/grey uniform. The Police Motorcyle rider when he is not transporting his wife and kids seems to wear multicoloured shirt and jeans. He may be undercover but the motorcycle still has police on the side!!..The have now repaired the Police Jeepetta since it went up in flames after a disturbance. ..So its still Smith and Wesson security company at my casa but the Police Chief did say....Call us in the morning IF.....Cheers. M.

All the Police there have different iniforms.
1. Politur( Tourist Police) wear white shirts and navy blue tactical pants
2.Policia Nacional(The national Police) wear grey shirt and pants
3.Amet(Traffic Police) wear green pants and shirts/smoket the bear kinda hat
4.Policia Minicipal(municipal police) wear all blue iniforms

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
stallion said:
All the Police there have different iniforms.
1. Politur( Tourist Police) wear white shirts and navy blue tactical pants
2.Policia Nacional(The national Police) wear grey shirt and pants
3.Amet(Traffic Police) wear green pants and shirts/smoket the bear kinda hat
4.Policia Minicipal(municipal police) wear all blue iniforms

Need to add to this the Policia Ambiental, under the Ministry of Environment. Don't know the color of their uniform. There are about 250 of these working nationwide.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Politur = Tourist Police? i never knew that. so what's their duty? to make sure the tourists are behaving themselves or to make sure nobody robs them?

PCDave

Nov 11, 2004
To run or not to run

I have read on DR1 that when driving and the police try to stop you - look the other way and keep driving. Also, I have heard that there is (are?) certain police you should never run from in the DR.

Which of the police types (uniforms) are the one's you absolutely must stop for when driving? I plan on driving there in January and given my poor Spanish I'm sure to break more than a few laws!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not really

liam1 said:
Politur = Tourist Police? i never knew that. so what's their duty? to make sure the tourists are behaving themselves or to make sure nobody robs them?

Real job is to stand around with their thumb up their A**, and look bored.
or walk up and down El Conde oblivious to what ever is going on around them

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Police employment

Just out of curiosity and to add to this topic, what kind of qualifications do police forces look for when seeking candidates for employment? Is policing in the DR a good honorable career? does it pay well?

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
well,,as far as im concerned

the Police career...is a job....

iwouldnt call it a career well atleast for entry level for example

my fiance is a 2do teneinte ( liutenant) and he only makes 6,000 pesos a month.with no benefits, not even for gas, ..its not worth all the crap he has to go through expecially with the delinquency...........

just a thought....

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
bienamor said:
Real job is to stand around with their thumb up their A**, and look bored.
or walk up and down El Conde oblivious to what ever is going on around them

Add to what he/she said the occasional obligatory "sweep", where they round up all the single women who are in the wrong place at the wrong time without their cedula and haul them off to prison for prostitution, and you about have it. (I'm not saying some, or even most of the women they pick up aren't putas, but way too many innocent ones get cought up in this.)