Anyone Here?

CurlyTop

Jul 7, 2004
Is anyone from DR1 going to be in Punta Cana next week (nov.13-20)? I arrive on Saturday and was hoping to maybe meet up with some fellow board members at some point. I want to get off the resort and see the real DR and thought that maybe there were others who would like to do the same.
CT

CurlyTop

Jul 7, 2004
Okay then - maybe next time.

Can anyone tell me if it would be a good or bad idea to rent a car and drive from Punta Cana to Higuey for a day? Is it safe? Is there a chance I will be hassled from corrupt police wanting money (as I have read about so many times)? I will probably be with a friend from Higuey but would like the freedom of having a car. Or would it be better to take the bus? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You shouldn't have any trouble, other than not being used to Dominican driving.

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Where are you staying?

Where will you be staying in Punta Cana? Ken is right about the driving. I had my first driving experience in October and it is a whole different world from driving in the US. The bus is cheaper than renting a car. Probably the best way to get around is to make friends with some of the workers. Many will be more than happy to show you around. I have quite a few friends that live/work in the area.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Don't worry

Curly Top! Go for it!! The best way to see the "real" country is by exploring it! If you are flexible and openminded, driving here will be part of the adventure.

Have fun!!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
CurlyTop said:
Okay then - maybe next time.

Can anyone tell me if it would be a good or bad idea to rent a car and drive from Punta Cana to Higuey for a day? Is it safe? Is there a chance I will be hassled from corrupt police wanting money (as I have read about so many times)? I will probably be with a friend from Higuey but would like the freedom of having a car. Or would it be better to take the bus? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Be very careful on that road. It's got a lot of curves and it's not too wide. I've seen 3 accidents this year on that stretch and I used to only go every 2 or 3 weeks...

frando

Sep 23, 2004
Rats, we'll be in Puerto Plata from 11/18. Extended family of 8.

:cry:
CurlyTop said:
Is anyone from DR1 going to be in Punta Cana next week (nov.13-20)? I arrive on Saturday and was hoping to maybe meet up with some fellow board members at some point. I want to get off the resort and see the real DR and thought that maybe there were others who would like to do the same.
CT

frando

Sep 23, 2004
Making friends with the workers...

SafireDream said:
Where will you be staying in Punta Cana? Ken is right about the driving. I had my first driving experience in October and it is a whole different world from driving in the US. The bus is cheaper than renting a car. Probably the best way to get around is to make friends with some of the workers. Many will be more than happy to show you around. I have quite a few friends that live/work in the area.

I'd love to see something other than the tourist tours. How do I go about it? We are an extended family of 8 arriving this Thursday. I want to sit in someone's kitchen or yard, drink coffee and have my kids play with their kids. I want to hear about their lives, their jobs, their family. How do I achieve this? Others have made me leary, either that they're looking for something from me or that they think I'm looking at them as an "attraction" to see. I'd love to continue to correspond after we return home. Maybe if our new friends ever visit the US we can return the hospitality. I can get my point across in spanish but am always afraid DR's will make fun of my spanish!

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
frando said:
I'd love to see something other than the tourist tours. How do I go about it? We are an extended family of 8 arriving this Thursday. I want to sit in someone's kitchen or yard, drink coffee and have my kids play with their kids. I want to hear about their lives, their jobs, their family. How do I achieve this? Others have made me leary, either that they're looking for something from me or that they think I'm looking at them as an "attraction" to see. I'd love to continue to correspond after we return home. Maybe if our new friends ever visit the US we can return the hospitality. I can get my point across in spanish but am always afraid DR's will make fun of my spanish!

They won't laugh at your Spanish.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
frando said:

Visit the real DR - not the "gringo coasts". To do this, you have to get in your vehicle and wander about, and get out of your vehicle and talk to people. There is a whole other life out there - and they have never laughed at my Spanish (which is laughable, even I laugh at it....).

CurlyTop

Jul 7, 2004
Hello Everyone, thanks for all of your advise. I decided on the bus in the end and I am so happy I did. It was an experience in itself and actually had fun. The music was great and everone was having a great time.Not like the bus rides at home in Canada where everyone just sits there and stares off into space out the window.

Anyhow, I delivered school supplies to a school personally and the gratitude felt in doing so was incredible. I also handed out 100 tooth brushes and sample toothpastes and it is a day I will never forget. When I get home I will elaborate on my experience when I have more time.