what's the going taxi rate from Santiago?

raphster

Nov 11, 2004
I'll be arriving in santiago and staying at iberostar in puerta plata, can someone let me know what the going rate is? Or am I better off calling / emailing ahead to reserve a car to pick me and my family up?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
On Nov. 4, the going rate from STI to Puerto Plata was 1600 pesos. Value in dollars depends on the current exchange rate.

Bebe

Nov 13, 2004
Taxi Rate from STI to Bonao

Hello. I am planning to travel to Bonao via Santiago airport and the flight would be landing late at night. What is a safe and reliable transportation to Bonao? What is the going rate? Your reply would be appreciated.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can get a taxi at the airport for

RD$1800 to POP, RD$1900 Sosua and RD$2000 Cabarete by calling 710 0601
and, in Spanish asking for Rafaelito. He is the owner of a nice van that works out of the airport.

There are other services. There is one for US$50 to POP, $60 to Sosua and $70 to Cabarete. Give me a call to see if it is available. PM or email, of course.

The RD$1600 price, I think, is for a taxi, but La Profe can help you with that.
Send her an email.

I do not have a price for Bonao, but I am sure we can find something for you.
Again, PM me or email me for details.

HB:D:D Now becoming a taxi broker!! What have I started?

raphster

Nov 11, 2004
when you negotiate with the taxi's, would I be expected to negotiate in spanish? or will the drivers be somewhat able to speak english? My spanish is pretty poor, where I could start the conversation, but if he/she were to reply I don't know if I would be able to follow/understand fully.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
raphster said:
when you negotiate with the taxi's, would I be expected to negotiate in spanish? or will the drivers be somewhat able to speak english? My spanish is pretty poor, where I could start the conversation, but if he/she were to reply I don't know if I would be able to follow/understand fully.

In Spanish but there are guys that speak some English to assist.

JJandN

Nov 16, 2004
Hello all,

Similar to the person starting this thread, my wife and I are planning on coming into Santiago and heading to Puerto Plata. We are not worried about the cost or length of time it will take to get to Puerto Plata by taxi as the price is worth it compared to our options of going into POP. My concern is we'd be flying the late night Jet Blue flight and coming in very early on Saturday morning around 1am (call us crazy, but we actually prefer flying at night rather than spending the daylight on a plane). Will taxis be available that late/early or will they all be out waiting for people to leave the bars and discos? Also should I have any safety concerns whether it be the airport or the taxi drive that late on the weekend?

We have other friends coming down on a charter right into POP on Saturday afternoon (charter sold out before we decided we were definitely going to go) who's tickets cost them an extra $200 each to fly in and out of a city 3 hours away from us (Toronto) and they also are spending money on a hotel the night before their flight, have to pay to park at the airport for a week, and pay for gas and tolls. As long as we are able to get a taxi and be confident it will be safe at that time of the day, I think we have a much better deal.

Thanks for any answers/advice in advance. This is a great site and we can't wait to go the Dominican Republic for our first time!

- John

raphster

Nov 11, 2004
John,
I'm the guy who started the thread and thanks to Hillbilly I got a some info on reserving a taxi. Here's the info:
Call 809-582-5112 (Rocio Valerio) the woman who answered the phone speaks english, and tell her you would like a pick up at Santiago to POP.
she'll take your info and arrange for someone to meet you at the airport, all at a cost of only $50!

I can't tell you how the service is, I booked the taxi today myself.
they also have an email address, which is: palomalinda0890@hotmail.com

pm me if you have anymore questions.
hope this helps.
Good luck

JJandN said:
Hello all,

Similar to the person starting this thread, my wife and I are planning on coming into Santiago and heading to Puerto Plata. We are not worried about the cost or length of time it will take to get to Puerto Plata by taxi as the price is worth it compared to our options of going into POP. My concern is we'd be flying the late night Jet Blue flight and coming in very early on Saturday morning around 1am (call us crazy, but we actually prefer flying at night rather than spending the daylight on a plane). Will taxis be available that late/early or will they all be out waiting for people to leave the bars and discos? Also should I have any safety concerns whether it be the airport or the taxi drive that late on the weekend?

We have other friends coming down on a charter right into POP on Saturday afternoon (charter sold out before we decided we were definitely going to go) who's tickets cost them an extra $200 each to fly in and out of a city 3 hours away from us (Toronto) and they also are spending money on a hotel the night before their flight, have to pay to park at the airport for a week, and pay for gas and tolls. As long as we are able to get a taxi and be confident it will be safe at that time of the day, I think we have a much better deal.

Thanks for any answers/advice in advance. This is a great site and we can't wait to go the Dominican Republic for our first time!

- John

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Email address

Does anybody have a working E mail address for them?
I tried this hotmail address, and got bounced.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
JJandN said:
Hello all,

- John

I arrived about 2:30 am and it was mobbed. Taxis were everywhere and the posted rates are 1800 pesos or $62 @ 29 pesos to the dollar. I would go to the ATM machine and take out 2000 pesos. I myself would crash at a cabana for 4 hours then taxi it over.

tropical

Nov 20, 2004
www.facebook.com
taxi service

Lechero said:
Does anybody have a working E mail address for them?
I tried this hotmail address, and got bounced.
Hi everyone, something must have been wrong with the email but it should be working properly now. You can also try the cell# at 809-357-6047

Thanks