Sammy Sosa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominican Dime

Nov 12, 2004
I've been looking in the forums and I've seen alot of racism forums about black dominicans not being accepted into the dominican community. I can agree that Santiago can be harsh at times but if black dominicans are not that welcomed. In what terms do Sammy Sosa stand? He has many black features, the " black " hair and the skin so where does he stand with you? I will be happy to rephrase :nervous:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Well, I'm not an expert on this subjet but I do believe that Mr. Sammy Sosa stands on a baseball diamond. :laugh:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
great response!
In DR, apparently money and celebrity status whiteness....it's an awesome phenomena.

Anna Coniglio said:
Well, I'm not an expert on this subjet but I do believe that Mr. Sammy Sosa stands on a baseball diamond. :laugh:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Dominican Dime said:
I've been looking in the forums and I've seen alot of racism forums about black dominicans not being accepted into the dominican community. I can agree that Santiago can be harsh at times but if black dominicans are not that welcomed. In what terms do Sammy Sosa stand? He has many black features, the " black " hair and the skin so where does he stand with you? I will be happy to rephrase :nervous:

When it comes to representing the country the country, it doesn't matter
if you are black, yellow, white or green......That is the proud way Dominicans see it. Dominican Republic does not practice racism in that area and almost all our beauty pageants are black.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Dominican Dime said:

On this forum, his sister would probably qualify as a UBH. A black Dominican? Apparently, they don't exist. Gotta be Haitians. LOL! :surprised

Sammy, with his money and celebrity status, would probably get a pass from such harshness. But I'm just guessing. :ermm:

In Santiago, I met a few of cabbies who appreciated Sammy. Can't speak for the general sentiment there.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Dominican Dime said:

I like Sammy Sosa , i never looked at him as black , Mullato or whatever, he has always just been Dominican . I think he has done alot for Dominicans in Baseball . even if he wasnt a baseball ball player if he is educated and hard working he would not have a problem being accepted anywhere in Dominican society ,Race is not as much of a problem in DR as it is in the USA .

ThoughtProcess

Oct 23, 2004
FuegoAzul21 said:
I like Sammy Sosa , i never looked at him as black , Mullato or whatever, he has always just been Dominican . I think he has done alot for Dominicans in Baseball . even if he wasnt a baseball ball player if he is educated and hard working he would not have a problem being accepted anywhere in Dominican society ,Race is not as much of a problem in DR as it is in the USA .

"RACE is not a problem in DR as it is in the USA" Yeah right, Race is a big problem in the DR and many caribbean/latino countries because of the abscence of a major black civil rights movement, and the policies of the spanish government. In the dr many blacks dont even want to claim their African roots, calling themselves indio, or mulatto, never black. Even on this board many people try to act as if the only blacks on the island are from Haiti. Which couldnt be further from the truth.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
principe said:
What is a UBH???

Ugly Black Hooker = term used specifically and frequently, sometimes tongue-in-cheek - but maybe not, on this board to describe pretty much any chica of the same complexion of Sammy Sosa and darker. Dominican or Haitian.

Even models are referred sometimes in these terms. Don't believe me? Do a site search on it.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Dominican Dime said:

GUESS WHAT MAN! THE FREAKING GUY IS BLACK::::::
NOW TELL ME DOES HE LOOKS WHITE IN ANY SORT OF WAY?

I GUESS THAT ANSWER MY QUESTION LOL!

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
ThoughtProcess said:
"RACE is not a problem in DR as it is in the USA" Yeah right, Race is a big problem in the DR and many caribbean/latino countries because of the abscence of a major black civil rights movement, and the policies of the spanish government. In the dr many blacks dont even want to claim their African roots, calling themselves indio, or mulatto, never black. Even on this board many people try to act as if the only blacks on the island are from Haiti. Which couldnt be further from the truth.

If race was really a problem here would be no such thing as mulatto or anything else ,just black and white as in the Usa , DR has never been a segregated society like the usa has been , black people have more mobility in DR than in any other country in Latin America ,in DR one wont be killed by the police just for being black as in the USA, and if so-called black Dominican people say they are not black ,its probably becuase they are not ,most Dominicans that are black usually say that they are , now if ur going by the one drop rule , You must understand that in Dominican Culture that does not apply , we have a mixed culture .Bottom line is race is not as serious in here as it is in the USA , as for haiti people feel that way becuase 95% haitians are completely black and 91% of Dominicans are not , if that to you is far from the truth than u might want to do some more homework and studying on DR and actually tour the country to see what im talking about .

Last edited:

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
ERICKXSON said:
GUESS WHAT MAN! THE FREAKING GUY IS BLACK::::::
NOW TELL ME DOES HE LOOKS WHITE IN ANY SORT OF WAY?

I GUESS THAT ANSWER MY QUESTION LOL!

well, he does not have the type of nappy hair David Ortiz,Alphonso Soriano,Vladimir Guerrero(sammy can actaully comb his hair) have and his facial features/skin tone(not pitch black) are not as strong as theirs is , so thats proof of some admixture (probably Indian) whatever the case he is an incredible baseball player no matter what .

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Mr_DR said:
... and almost all our beauty pageants are black.

Pleeeaaaase, make me laugh!

I keep seeing more blonde women than in Sweden, checking dominican beauty contest pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.