travel warning

francine

Nov 14, 2004
The family of a friend arrived in Santiago a few days ago. They rented a van from Avis, drove to Nacional to buy some groceries. Came out 15 minutes later to find all of their luggage had been stolen. Interestingly the guard at Nacional didn't see anything although the Nacional security cameras caught it all. When they pulled in to the parking lot, right behind them was a green jeepeta. The driver jumped out jammed something in the lock and proceeded to empty their van. Apparently they had been followed from the airport. Were they set up by someone who works at Avis?? We were later told this is an on going problem. Welcome to the D.R. Travelers be warned!! Maybe you should consider a safer island, or at least one where the police aren't too busy hitting on the women who walk by, or too corrupt, to help.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Sorry this happened to your friend. But, this could happen anywhere. So, if there is a safer island, please advise.

The rule everywhere is: someone stays in the van to watch over the goods, the other(s) get the groceries.

Regards,
PJT

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
i don't know i still feel safe going to the DR. been there 3 times this year and never had a problem. was planning on staying there this winter (january & ferbuary) but with the exchange rate mess won't :angry: :mad: :hurt: . probably will go to cuba, or try CR or something. be more affraid of leonel and his gang than street crime (which will no doubt increase as unemployment rises).

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
several years ago...

francine said:
The family of a friend arrived in Santiago a few days ago. They rented a van from Avis, drove to Nacional to buy some groceries. Came out 15 minutes later to find all of their luggage had been stolen. Interestingly the guard at Nacional didn't see anything although the Nacional security cameras caught it all. When they pulled in to the parking lot, right behind them was a green jeepeta. The driver jumped out jammed something in the lock and proceeded to empty their van. Apparently they had been followed from the airport. Were they set up by someone who works at Avis?? We were later told this is an on going problem. Welcome to the D.R. Travelers be warned!! Maybe you should consider a safer island, or at least one where the police aren't too busy hitting on the women who walk by, or too corrupt, to help.

You might be recall several years ago there was a rash of these incidents happening as tourists left the Miami Airport. In fact , I think a German tourist was killed. I believe that the rental car agencies changed the plate numbers so that they would not be recognized as rental cars. It can happen anywhere because the bad guys are everywhere.

JOHN

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
Visiting Israel a few years back the tour guide for the week picked us up at the airport and took us everywhere we wanted to visit?His car had bullet holes!

It?s very true that the bad guys are everywhere and people have to remember to pack their brains when they travel and be more careful although if you park at Nacional with the watchman on that tower you?d think your car should be safe.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
No Comparison

I am sorry Toronto, how can you compare Republica Dominicana with Israel?
Israel has terrorrista bus and package bombers all over the place. La Republica just has typical third world poverty and deported convicts from New York. If you leave your stuff in a car in New York, there is a good chance it will be stolen. It is very safe in DR, as long as you use your head.
If you ask for trouble it will find you.

paradise

Oct 18, 2004
Nonsense

Your friends problem was not visiting DR, but leaving a van-load of visable luggage, carried by a group of tourists, in a place they did not know. Why didn't one person stay in the van? Common sense. I would never leave valuables (especially all my luggage) in a car, especially visable, if I was not certain it was a safe place (like my locked garage), regardless of what town I was in.

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Exactly!!!

paradise said:
Your friends problem was not visiting DR, but leaving a van-load of visable luggage, carried by a group of tourists, in a place they did not know. Why didn't one person stay in the van? Common sense. I would never leave valuables (especially all my luggage) in a car, especially visable, if I was not certain it was a safe place (like my locked garage), regardless of what town I was in.

This is common sense. I am at home here in Canada, and if I left my stuff in my vehicle, it would not last the afteroon!!! Theft happens everywhere!! Duh. :eek:

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Small incident

This happened to us last September when we visited DR. One evening when we were driving back to Puerto Plata after having dinner in Sosua we were chased by another car trying to pull us over. This other car passed us, signed us to stop and put on the brakes right in front of us. Instead of stopping we passed the car and kept driving. The other car passed us and signed us to stop. We didn?t stop and passed the other car. This went on for a few times. We didn?t recognise the car or the people in it so we didn?t stop. Finally we started speeding and the other car was unable to catch us.

Afterwards we have been wondering what this incident was about. Could it have something to do with us changing money at the restaurant we were eating at. I know it is not the wisest thing to change money at a restaurant but at that time we had no other option. The money changing was handled very discretely by the owner of the restaurant and we thought nobody noticed it. When we left the restaurant there were no other cars parked outside the restaurant and nearby except our car and the owner?s car.

Could someone in the restaurant have given somebody a hint that we had pesos??

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
It happens Everywhere

As with most of the replies here, I agree that this could, and unfortunately does, happen everywhere.

Common sence is the best defence.

We have been to the DR 4 times, and have never had anything of this nature happen. Yes, we have had some little things go missing when going through the airport on the way out (every time we have had the bandana's from the handles of the suitcase's taken) but that is really not a big deal.

There is a post on another board where a traveller had some Dominican jewelery taken from her luggage when she returned home to the USA.

Unfortunate as it may be, there are bad people everywhere, but fortunately, I think that there are more good people.

Once again, dont blame the whole island for this, as it happens everywhere.

Cheers
Jimmy