Want to stay out of trouble w/ law in DR

TorontoTourist

Nov 16, 2004
Being a party animal, but having respect for other countries I just wanted a heads up on what to avoid and what to indulge in DR, staying near PP, please help me make my trip a safe blast.

jonfromva

Jan 28, 2003
TorontoTourist said:
Being a party animal, but having respect for other countries I just wanted a heads up on what to avoid and what to indulge in DR, staying near PP, please help me make my trip a safe blast.
Hi TorontoTourist,Being a party animal let me make this very clear,drink all the beer, mixed drinks,rum,whatever is legal to drink but under no circumstances do any illegal drugs.You should get other replys to this effect unless the other posters are just to tired of this question to respond anymore.Do a search and you will see that 1 dominican jails are the very very last place you would want to wind up in.2 if you do any illegal drugs you have a very good chance of ending up there.3That you will be offered drugs many times(of course this depends where and when you spend your time)I know because I was offered many times when I was there for a few months in 2003.4 most likley the person offering you the drugs are in on it with the police so you might have the option of PAYING ALOT OF MONEY to stay out of jail.That said I do know someone that has lived there many years that partakes every once in a while but he is almost a local after all these years.That being said and knowing what happened to a dear friend of mine(ahem)about 12 years ago in Mexico(having money extorted around 650us by the hotel security after they showed us the policia in the lobby waiting for my friend if money wasnt paid departure ticket less than 2 hours away)Please be smart and DONT DO DRUGS IN THE DR.Jail terms are very long for drugs you will not get fed in jail unless someone brings it to you and all the other EXTRAS you get there let me tell you my friend it is something that you do not want to get sucked into.As I said you will be asked and if it is what you like you will be temped but if you fall for that temptation you will end up in jail.Just my 2 pesos but I believe any other response will be in the same vein.DONT DO IT-Jon

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
"Being a party animal..."

since you're a party animal, then you know for sure what's horse sense. that's all you need!

TorontoTourist

Nov 16, 2004
enought said

thanks for the advice, I'm not a addict and can stay away, will enjoy all my AI drinks and good food instead, funny how some places take what's legal or not illegal in parts of Canada so seriously in other countries?

jonfromva said:
Hi TorontoTourist,Being a party animal let me make this very clear,drink all the beer, mixed drinks,rum,whatever is legal to drink but under no circumstances do any illegal drugs.You should get other replys to this effect unless the other posters are just to tired of this question to respond anymore.Do a search and you will see that 1 dominican jails are the very very last place you would want to wind up in.2 if you do any illegal drugs you have a very good chance of ending up there.3That you will be offered drugs many times(of course this depends where and when you spend your time)I know because I was offered many times when I was there for a few months in 2003.4 most likley the person offering you the drugs are in on it with the police so you might have the option of PAYING ALOT OF MONEY to stay out of jail.That said I do know someone that has lived there many years that partakes every once in a while but he is almost a local after all these years.That being said and knowing what happened to a dear friend of mine(ahem)about 12 years ago in Mexico(having money extorted around 650us by the hotel security after they showed us the policia in the lobby waiting for my friend if money wasnt paid departure ticket less than 2 hours away)Please be smart and DONT DO DRUGS IN THE DR.Jail terms are very long for drugs you will not get fed in jail unless someone brings it to you and all the other EXTRAS you get there let me tell you my friend it is something that you do not want to get sucked into.As I said you will be asked and if it is what you like you will be temped but if you fall for that temptation you will end up in jail.Just my 2 pesos but I believe any other response will be in the same vein.DONT DO IT-Jon

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
funny how some places take what's legal or not illegal in parts of Canada so seriously in other countries?

????? Who cares what's legal or "not illegal" in Canada when you are in another country? Think about it. You're not in Canada anymore.

Rose

TorontoTourist

Nov 16, 2004
rmary said:
????? Who cares what's legal or "not illegal" in Canada when you are in another country? Think about it. You're not in Canada anymore.

Rose
that's what I'm saying how it is interesting how laws can be so different, I care because I'm going to DR, doesn't that make enough sense, I should care because I'm trying to be responsible .....not complaining

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hey TT,

Sorry to be so snotty, but it just amazes/surprises me to see people assuming/expecting that the same attitude in Canada would be applied in the DR. I guess I've always taken "midnight express" a little to heart and leave any activities which might even remotely be illegal at home. "you're not in Kansas anymore".

Have a great trip.

Rose

P.S. If the "Midnight Express" reference is unfamiliar to you, check out your local library or video store for a copy. That might explain why those of us of an "older" generation tend to be a tad paranoid on the issue :eek: