transport from Santiago to Cabarete

dmsilver

Nov 16, 2004
What is the best way to get from Santiago Airport to Cabarete this
Sunday afternnon? and What should I expect to pay?

Thanks

dmsilver

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
dmsilver said:
What is the best way to get from Santiago Airport to Cabarete this
Sunday afternnon? and What should I expect to pay?

Thanks

dmsilver

A taxi would work, it goes thru the mountains and will get you there in an hour and a half. Should be $35-$45.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a variety or ways

Taxis are asking $70 to Cabarete, since it is a long haul. $50 to POP and $60 to Sos?a.

If you take a taxi from the airport, they will ask of RD$2500, at least., Close to RD$80 at the current 27 to one exchange rate. (I did not do the math, just guesstimated)

Send me a PM or an email and I can get you some transport there at the lower price.

HB :D:D

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Hillbilly said:
Taxis are asking $70 to Cabarete, since it is a long haul. $50 to POP and $60 to Sos?a.

If you take a taxi from the airport, they will ask of RD$2500, at least., Close to RD$80 at the current 27 to one exchange rate. (I did not do the math, just guesstimated)

Send me a PM or an email and I can get you some transport there at the lower price.

HB :D:D

If they go the Mountain way to Caberete its an hour 20 minutes. There are 30 taxis waiting to make money at the airport. Offer $40!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The problem Jimmy is that $40 is not enough money for them

They have a syndicate there at the airport. $40 is just RD$1080 today and they get RD$1500 to POP by a good highway, not over the mountains.

If you offer $40, I am willing to bet they won't take it. It would violate the syndicate rules and get a driver banned for a week or more.

There is a woman and her husband that will do this with excellent service for $70, and they have received rave reviews here. La Profe noted here that RD$1600 was the published fare to POP, on a big sign there at the airport.

HB

nystateofmind

Aug 6, 2003
Jim - I agree with Hillbilly

I reached out to Hillbilly for help with a taxi from Santiago to Sosua and the person he referred me to wanted 1750 pesos. I called a few other taxis in Santiago and I finally found someone for 1500 pesos which at the time was about $53-$54 US which is the best I could find.

I hooked up with a taxi in Sousa who took me back to STI for $50 US. I made this trip twice in the last 2 weeks with the same guy. He tried to press me for more $$ upon arrival at STI when I made the trip this past Sunday - after paying the same amount 5 days earlier.

FYI - What I found very interesting was when I arrived in POP last Friday all of the taxis outside of the airport wanted $20 US to go to Sosua! Damn that is a JFK taxi rate! It is getting out of control down there.

Walt

Hillbilly said:
They have a syndicate there at the airport. $40 is just RD$1080 today and they get RD$1500 to POP by a good highway, not over the mountains.

If you offer $40, I am willing to bet they won't take it. It would violate the syndicate rules and get a driver banned for a week or more.

There is a woman and her husband that will do this with excellent service for $70, and they have received rave reviews here. La Profe noted here that RD$1600 was the published fare to POP, on a big sign there at the airport.

HB

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Hillbilly said:

HB

We were waiting for our car rental and it was taking fore ever. I made low offers and about 45 minutes later a cabbie came over and said he would do it. They got to eat too you know. I have 28 trips to DR under my belt, I know a thing or two.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Correct Fare

STI to Puerto Plata.....

RD$ 1,800.00.... re checked yesterday 19-11-04

with the rate at 30 to the dollar is US$60.00

hope this helps

C YA!!!!!!

STIOP

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, whatever

I am sure Jimmy works for $10 an hour.

Anyway, there are a lot of options and the lady that gives the $50 service to POP is pretty solid. Just hope you have a nice stay.

I was taught to count my drinks. I have never thought to count my trips...

HB,

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Hillbilly said:
I am sure Jimmy works for $10 an hour.

Anyway, there are a lot of options and the lady that gives the $50 service to POP is pretty solid. Just hope you have a nice stay.

I was taught to count my drinks. I have never thought to count my trips...

HB,

I wish, only $6.25 an hour!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Thank New Yorkers for those NY prices

nystateofmind said:
I reached out to Hillbilly for help with a taxi from Santiago to Sosua and the person he referred me to wanted 1750 pesos. I called a few other taxis in Santiago and I finally found someone for 1500 pesos which at the time was about $53-$54 US which is the best I could find.

I hooked up with a taxi in Sousa who took me back to STI for $50 US. I made this trip twice in the last 2 weeks with the same guy. He tried to press me for more $$ upon arrival at STI when I made the trip this past Sunday - after paying the same amount 5 days earlier.

FYI - What I found very interesting was when I arrived in POP last Friday all of the taxis outside of the airport wanted $20 US to go to Sosua! Damn that is a JFK taxi rate! It is getting out of control down there.

Walt

Jimmy DR has 28 trips under his belt and I commend him because he is a smart boy and knows a few things. I live here for 10 plus years and own businesses here including tourist transport vans. If you need any service, contact Theo at theosmoot215@yahoo.com He will be happy to assist you!

Scotty