Wedding Questions.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Sort of funny but my gilr friend and I have been together for almost four years, and we are talking about planning our wedding (no date yet), but cost is a factor. We are considering a budget of $10,000-$15,000 US$ thinking that the exchange rate would help us save as opposed to having a wedding here in New Jersey. Being that we are not going to pay for rooms for most our guests, is this budget realistic for a beach hotel wedding package for apprx 50 guests.

Nov 5, 2004
Wedding in February/05

I am getting amrried to my (Dominican) fiance on February 14, 2005 in the Puerto Plata Village Resort. Will post how it went we I get back. We were hoping to go on a cruise when the wedding was over, but can't find any cruises leaving from Dominican. Are considering going down to Punta Cana for a week after. We are going to apply for a visitors visa for him to come to Canada after teh wedding. Once he gets here on a visitors visa, will apply for his permant residency. Coming to Canada wasn't our original plan..but we have figured out it will be easier to make money in Canada, as well as less stress for me in flying back and forth all the time, and us missing each other so much!! I have read some really good things about the weddings down there. And I cant wait!

El Maestro 23

Sep 23, 2004
Wedding Costs (more or less)

Sort of funny but my gilr friend and I have been together for almost four years, and we are talking about planning our wedding (no date yet), but cost is a factor. We are considering a budget of $10,000-$15,000 US$ thinking that the exchange rate would help us save as opposed to having a wedding here in New Jersey. Being that we are not going to pay for rooms for most our guests, is this budget realistic for a beach hotel wedding package for apprx 50 guests.

Principe:

Since no one of the people that have had actual weddings have said anything about prices i will give you my 2 cents.

This info is accurate as of 4 months ago when i was planning my wedding and i say WAS because it didnt happen and we are not even together anymore but that's another story. :bandit:

My ex-Gf and I were planning a wedding in BAVARO PALACE HOTEL ( 5 STAR HOTEL, www.barcelo.com ) where they included CAKE, "canopes" snacks i believe it's called, they reserved one of the restaurants for wedding guests only for the wedding dinner. They would decorate the pool and have a "stage" or "altar" by the beach with chairs adn the hole 9 yards. Reservations on the CONVENTION Center for the reception, with a local BAND.
The hotel's church PRIEST and Civil judge services included, 2 nights on the hotel for the newly weds and i believe they had some specials for the first night for the guests staying on the hotel.

Let me see what else ... well i dont remember all the details since i was not in charge of preparations but all that for 75 - 80 guests, Oh also they would have an open bar for guests for about 1 or 2 hours and the event would be reserved for 4 hours. And the lady said that it would come to about 5000 - 7000 maybe less American dolars. And this is a 5 STAR HOTEL in Punta Cana.
They have their own church/priest ( the priest wont marry you outside of the church but the civil judge will marry you on the beach ).

So if you are willing to spend 15000 dosl i think you will have everything you need and then some. Me personnally wanted to hire SERGIO VARGAS for the night 2-3 hours since my EX-GF liked him so much and that was 3.400 dols for the event, and the hotel was charging 1.500 dols for letting him and his musicians into the convention center. Just in case you were interested in hiring your personal band / music.

And remember all of this was when Dolar was 50 to 1 compared to the Dominican Peso, now it's 28 to 1 so it may be ( may be the keyword here ) cheaper now. One piece of advise i don't know if you speak spanish or not but if you do i would recommend that you go personally and speak in SPANISH to them. We were going from Miami and had people going from NY/NJ/MIA and DR.

I hope this info helps, if you would like more accurate info and more recent you should go to www.barcelo.com and look for BARCELO BAVARO PALACE in Punta Cana/Bavaro area and get the number and ask for the WEDDING PLANNER ( she was from Spain ), she lives in the hotel so she is always available, at least that's what she said. But that is only for that particular hotel and it was for an APRIL wedding.

There are other hotel and diff wedding packages that could be available for you.

EM23 :bandit:

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
$$$$$$

My boyfrien-father of my kids-husband-live in boyfriend (what ever you want to call him) want to get married in DR. Somewhere in POP. We know about Coral Marien, but not prices. We want to have the ceremony next spring for about 100 ppl-form NY/NJ/FL/DR. How much? It doesn't have to be in the Coral Marien only, but we prefer POP.
Thanks!

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
DMAO said:
My boyfrien-father of my kids-husband-live in boyfriend (what ever you want to call him) want to get married in DR. Somewhere in POP. We know about Coral Marien, but not prices. We want to have the ceremony next spring for about 100 ppl-form NY/NJ/FL/DR. How much? It doesn't have to be in the Coral Marien only, but we prefer POP.
Thanks!

Are you inquiring about wedding prices or group rates from the hotel? Make sure you also find out about all the ligite docs you need to be married out of country?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I split the thread into Wedding stories and Wedding Questions.

This one will be for anyone asking questions because they may not get answered in a thread that was meant for people to recount their wedding day. ;)

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
El Maestro 23 said:
Principe:

Since no one of the people that have had actual weddings have said anything about prices i will give you my 2 cents.

Well Ok, I just didn't say anything because I didn't get married at a resort. I got married in Nagua and I think the total cost was about $1500 US. No I didn't leave off any zeros. It was a nice wedding. If you want to see how beautiful my bride was, the pictures are at www.twincactus.com

Not the typical wedding the tourists would have but a real Dominican wedding nonetheless. Comments are appreciated and questions welcome!

-Tim

Nov 5, 2004
twincactus said:
Well Ok, I just didn't say anything because I didn't get married at a resort. I got married in Nagua and I think the total cost was about $1500 US. No I didn't leave off any zeros. It was a nice wedding. If you want to see how beautiful my bride was, the pictures are at www.twincactus.com

Not the typical wedding the tourists would have but a real Dominican wedding nonetheless. Comments are appreciated and questions welcome!

-Tim
You say it was "real" Dominican wedding. Can you let me know what customs and ways of doing things at weddings are different then North American customs?
I am getting married to a Dominican man...at a resort, but I want to know what general customs are different then what I am used to. I want all of his family attending to be comfortable, and would be glad to add a bit more of a "dominican touch" to it.

Thanks! :)

Aliya

Nov 5, 2004
DMAO said:
Thanks!

Most resorts in Puerto Plata have a wedding package.
When are you planning on getting married?
I am getting married in Februar/05 at the Puerto Plata Village resort. Most places do your wedding for free if youo ahve enough guests attending. The wedding package at Puerto Plata village costs me $600US...plus the cost of staying there for 1 week. But I am not having many guest from Canada. most of the guests will be his Dominican family.
Most wedding packages include the judge, the judge fees, marriage certificate, decortation of the wedding site, free room upgrade, champinge at dinner, the dinner, flowers for the bride and groom. And there can be alot more, depending on what the resort includes. I assume you are from USA, so I dont know what all your legal requirments are, because everything that I need to have is Canadian requirments. But if you e-mail different resorts to ask about their packages, the wedding planner should tell you what is involved.
I will let you know any details that might be helpful when I get back.
also...http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/wedding.html has helpful information and review of the weddings at resorts.

Hope this helped a bit

Aliya

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Gracias

Maestro, thanx for the ideas, I had actually thought that perhaps it would be neccessary to travel and make the arrangements in person. I will keep all of you posted as I plan to propose to her soon spring 05. I promise to keep you guys aware of any developments.