Which Clubs/Disco's In Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Are active/busy and on which night of the week. I know from my friend that La Barrica is dead on a Thursday night, however Friday and Saturday are busy.

I have gotten these club names from the board, Orion, Mountain View, Patio De Johnny and La Canita. Which nights are busy at these clubs and which ones are better (better meaning where you can do a lot of dancing). My friend has stayed at Playa Dorada and she know of all the clubs in this complex. Are there any other clubs in town that I may have missed.

Also, we would like to know approx. how much can we expect to pay for a taxi into Puerto Plata from Playa Dorada, one way and/or return.

The cost of a taxi from Playa Dorada into Sorusa, one way and/or return.

One last question, of all the clubs in Puerto Plata or Sorsua, does any of them play some SALSA.

Reactions: mike l

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
gonzaga,

I'm jealous wish I was going. But I know you'll have a blast!
You've mentioned all the clubs I went to. I can tell you I remember hearing Salsa music at La Canita I even danced but I can't remember dancing it at any of the other clubs, hmm maybe it was too much Presidente and Burgal I had ;) ! They play a little bit but of course it's mostly Bachata and Merengue!

Well I'll see you at the DR1 party before you leave, we'll get you started for you trip lol!!!

gonzaga said:
Are active/busy and on which night of the week. I know from my friend that La Barrica is dead on a Thursday night, however Friday and Saturday are busy.

I have gotten these club names from the board, Orion, Mountain View, Patio De Johnny and La Canita. Which nights are busy at these clubs and which ones are better (better meaning where you can do a lot of dancing). My friend has stayed at Playa Dorada and she know of all the clubs in this complex. Are there any other clubs in town that I may have missed.

Also, we would like to know approx. how much can we expect to pay for a taxi into Puerto Plata from Playa Dorada, one way and/or return.

The cost of a taxi from Playa Dorada into Sorusa, one way and/or return.

One last question, of all the clubs in Puerto Plata or Sorsua, does any of them play some SALSA.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
MUSIC, going to the DR on Nov. 29th, and will party like there's no tomorrow. So, if I don't see you before, I'll see you on Dec. 19th.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The clubs are all different.

Orion - very good saturday and sunday. Closed all other days.

Mountainview - always open. Friday night is salsa night, demo and dancing. Also they play merengue and bachatta - it is not all salsa.

La Canita - is always open. Very busy friday saturday and sunday. In an average night you might get 5 or 6 salsa songs. Yes, you will dance. Be very careful as this club can be dangerous.

La Barrica - always open. Some salsa but rare.

El Campito - is right across from Playa Dorada complex. Excellent when there is live music, dead quiet when there is not. You will find some salsa even when there is live music. If you are here Dec 12, Tonio Rosario is playing at El Campito. IT will probably cost 400 or 500 pesos to get in.

Tax to Playa Dorada is less then $15US.

In Sosua - there are 2 clubs that play a fair amount of latin on weekends, Classico and D'Latino. A tax to sosua - I'm not sure but would guess 20 to 30 US. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

HOpe that helps. Contact me if youwant more info. I go dancing all the time here!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
gonzaga the clubs in Sosua play a mix of music, what I call north American dance, merengue, bachata and some salsa.

Have fun. I'm taking my sis in February. She's never been to DR so it will be fun.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Why pay $20-$30 U.S. from Puerta Plata to Sosua. Do what the Domincians do, stand by the road and make a downward motion with you arms to flag a Publico taxi. These are red cars with a sign on the top that says Puerta Plata ? Sosua. Then get in and pay 20 Pesos to the driver. You might be squashed in between people, but you might also meet a nice date there. They go both directions and travel at night also.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I did exactly that when I went to Sosua and had no problem and much cheaper thant a taxi from the hotel!!

SKY said:
Why pay $20-$30 U.S. from Puerta Plata to Sosua. Do what the Domincians do, stand by the road and make a downward motion with you arms to flag a Publico taxi. These are red cars with a sign on the top that says Puerta Plata ? Sosua. Then get in and pay 20 Pesos to the driver. You might be squashed in between people, but you might also meet a nice date there. They go both directions and travel at night also.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Music said:
I did exactly that when I went to Sosua and had no problem and much cheaper thant a taxi from the hotel!!

A publico taxi waits until the car is full (6 people) to start. After midnight you might wait for hours for the car to fill up with people. What you do is you pay for 6 places even when you are alone or just 2 or 3 people. You only pay 6xR$25 (if that is still the going rate) which is still only a third of a private taxi and you get going without waiting. That's what I do to get back late at night between POP and Sosua.
Bartolomeo

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
planner said:
Mountainview - always open. Friday night is salsa night, demo and dancing. Also they play merengue and bachatta - it is not all salsa.

El Campito - is right across from Playa Dorada complex. Excellent when there is live music, dead quiet when there is not. You will find some salsa even when there is live music. If you are here Dec 12, Tonio Rosario is playing at El Campito. IT will probably cost 400 or 500 pesos to get in.

Hi Darlene,
I knew you would write a round-up of all the clubs there.
Hey, I'll be arriving on Friday December 10th, if you feel like, we can go salsa dancing (not dominican style) in Mountain View. I haven't been there before.
Are you the one doing the salsa demo? Hehe.
El Campito sounds interesting for the 12th although I have seen el Cuco a couple of times already. Please send me a PM if you see or hear about any other interesting concerts in the POP-Sosua area from the 10th on. Thanks,
Bartolomeo

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Planner,

Thanks again for the info, it's really helpful. As mentioned in my PM, maybe we can meet up at one of the clubs once we arrive in Puerto Plata later in the week.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Bartolomeo67,

What is dominican style Salsa in the DR. I remember dancing salsa with one dominican in Punta Cana and I had no clue on how many steps he was doing or what he was doing.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks for the PM, yes we can get together.

As for salsa, most dance it *** backwards here. SO the guys go forward on the opposite foot you are used to. AND most dance mambo not salsa.....

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Clubs in Sosua

The Classico and Latina DJs play whatever the tourists want to listen to. If there are a large group of Europeans there the DJ will play European style techno, North Americans, that style of dance music and then finally some merengue, salsa and bachata. Anyway, for people that wish to dance Merengue, Salsa and Bachata in Sosua go to the El Canoa Tipico which caters to all Dominican clientel. El Canoa is a safe place which is also open air and has frequent live bands

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If Salsa is an important issue, you might should consider going to Cuba instead. My impression is that Dominicans don't like salsa at all, infact many of them realy hate it. In DR it's all about Bachata, merengue, tipico and regaton.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
TOR,

Being to the DR many times and now how to dance all latin dances very, very well. As a matter of fact Bachata is my favourite music and dance. I've been to Cuba as well, and yes it's the place for Salsa, but then again, there's lots of Salsa here in in Toronto. I just though maybe by now, that Salsa would becoming more popular in the DR.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Like Bachata very much myself. I'm living in Sosua, and don't think Salsa is getting popular. Think it's only played for satisfying tourists, never met a Dominican that likes it.

swake

Oct 27, 2002
Tor said:
Like Bachata very much myself. I'm living in Sosua, and don't think Salsa is getting popular. Think it's only played for satisfying tourists, never met a Dominican that likes it.
WTF??? Ever been to las Brisas or a real Dominican joint?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
swake said:
WTF??? Ever been to las Brisas or a real Dominican joint?

What are ya going to do? Being of Dominican descent on my mother's side I can attest that Dominicans love salsa, it is just not the national music; Tipco is.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
People usually don't like to do something that they don't know how and it's not because your dominican. If you don't know how then it's easier to say you don't like it.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
gonzaga said:
People usually don't like to do something that they don't know how and it's not because your dominican. If you don't know how then it's easier to say you don't like it.

I'll agree with that. I mean, let's put it this way. How many Cubans like to dance to bachata??? It's to each their "own". It is as simple as what you have been raised on and nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.