dominican wine ...?

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
wine

Toronto2inDR said:
Yeah comes with a screw top (seriously) so that should tell you everything you need to know about Dominican wine.
I just went to a fair, there was a wine maker there. i tried the red, a little sweet, about 15.us a gallon don't recall the name

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes Sir......

Toronto2inDR said:
Yeah comes with a screw top (seriously) so that should tell you everything you need to know about Dominican wine.

Dominicans make great Rice & Beans, however Dominican Wine is the worst crap bar none you have ever tasted........

Gringo

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Cost of Imported Wines ? ? ?

Related to your topic:
1. I remember reading a post w/i the past 6 - 9 months concerning a proposed vineyard - in the mountains near Santiago, as I remember; Jarabacoa? Costanza? You might search the DR1 archives.
2. Are imported wines substantially more expensive that they were 1 year ago? Or is it my imagination. With the Peso down from 40 - 45 to 30+-, it seems like the prices of wines went up, then never came down??
Possiblities:
a. is wine taxed more heavily by the national government than beer or rum, becuase there is no native wine industry;
b. very few Dominicans drink wine; based on my observations, I estimate that 85 - 95% of wine drinkers in the DR are foreigners, at least outside Santo Domingo.
Food for thought? With a glass of chilled Chardonay, please!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Gringo said:
Dominicans make great Rice & Beans, however Dominican Wine is the worst crap bar none you have ever tasted........

Gringo

You're probably referring to Vino Pina and Moscatel Caballo Blanco types. I don't even consider these to be real wines. I've heard (not sure how true) that there are pretty good wines starting to be produced in the Elias Pina (border with Haiti) area. I've never been to that area, but I understand the grapes is one of the main crops over there. Anyone know anything about this?

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
neither...

suarezn said:
You're probably referring to Vino Pina and Moscatel Caballo Blanco types. I don't even consider these to be real wines. I've heard (not sure how true) that there are pretty good wines starting to be produced in the Elias Pina (border with Haiti) area. I've never been to that area, but I understand the grapes is one of the main crops over there. Anyone know anything about this?

Those moonshines I recognize, my buddy is from Portugal, he has tasted this wine, however, can't recall the name.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have had Dominican wines and they weren't BAD for the MONEY. I think I paid about 2 bux a bottle for a red table wine and it was drinkable. Probably cost more now. I bring wine in my suitcase from the states that I have had cellared for 15-20 years.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Gringo said:

Gringo

They also make a damn good beer (IMHO), and some decent rum, but I'd have to agree based on the few times I've tried it that winemaking is not a strong point!

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Dolores said:
The Neiba wines mentioned in the DR1 Travel News (http://dr1.com/travelnews/archive/2004/tnews083104.html) are the only good Dominican wines. Others are just wines brought in bulk from the US and bottled here, or the traditional Caballo Blanco type version, which I wouldn't call a wine. The Neiba wines are the real thing. Have patience.

Yeah, Neiba...that's where grapes are in abundance, so it would be proper for Dom. wine to be made/ship from here...