Chlorine equivalent

Alex Hunt

May 13, 2004
www.dominicantours.info
I am thinking of leaving my current job and selling a new product that makes a product similar to chlorine but at a fraction of the cost.
I have also visited DR a couple of times and would eventually like to mix work with a bit of fun!
Anyway, I would like to work out some break evens and am interested to know how much chlorine costs for keeping swimming pools clean?

There are other opportunities, such as drinking water purification, dentistry, hospitasl, aircon, basically any application that requires a bactericide.
The product is unique in that the solution destroys bacteria, viruses, fungi, spores and mycobial toxins yet is non-toxic and environmentally friendly

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Alex Hunt said:
I am thinking of leaving my current job and selling a new product that makes a product similar to chlorine but at a fraction of the cost.
I have also visited DR a couple of times and would eventually like to mix work with a bit of fun!
Anyway, I would like to work out some break evens and am interested to know how much chlorine costs for keeping swimming pools clean?

There are other opportunities, such as drinking water purification, dentistry, hospitasl, aircon, basically any application that requires a bactericide.
The product is unique in that the solution destroys bacteria, viruses, fungi, spores and mycobial toxins yet is non-toxic and environmentally friendly

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There would be a market for this product IF AND ONLY IF it is cost effective.
There are certainly no shortage of swimming pools, but I doubt you'll find many buyers who are willing to pay a premium price for the environmentally friendly aspects. You only need to look at the garbage in the streets to know the priority which is placed on this.

Alex Hunt

May 13, 2004
www.dominicantours.info
Business model

sweetdbt said:
There are certainly no shortage of swimming pools, but I doubt you'll find many buyers who are willing to pay a premium price for the environmentally friendly aspects. You only need to look at the garbage in the streets to know the priority which is placed on this.

It has excellent enviromental aspects - you can even flush it down drains to clean biofilm etc
The key to the market is the right application, for a single house it would be way too much, but for a hotel the cost maybe less than treating water with chemicals such as chlorine. Maybe the hotel could supplement the cost of hiring or buying the machine by selling the solution to other local companies?
They could also replace other chemicals used in kitchens, cleaning floors etc
This is exactly what I am trying to work out, but I need facts and figures on how much people spend for what volume of treatment/application.
I am not sure of the business model yet, but it would definitely be cheaper than buying chlorine for larger volumes. I expect the machines to be rented with a service contract that licenses the production of the sterilising product.
Thanks for any info
Alex

Last edited:

TONITO

Jan 29, 2004
From Da Pool Guy

sweetdbt said:
I HAVE A SWIMMING POOLSERVICE BIZ BACK IN DA STATES A POOL 20,000 GALLONS USES ABOUT 2 LBS A WEEK MY COST IS ABOUT 1.50 PER POUND AND I SELL FOR 2.50 + WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS PRODUCT TELL MI MORE

POOL GUY

Alex Hunt

May 13, 2004
www.dominicantours.info
DA States

TONITO said:
I HAVE A SWIMMING POOLSERVICE BIZ BACK IN DA STATES A POOL 20,000 GALLONS USES ABOUT 2 LBS A WEEK MY COST IS ABOUT 1.50 PER POUND AND I SELL FOR 2.50 + WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS PRODUCT TELL MI MORE

POOL GUY

The machine is protected by patent in the US so I could not sell it to you. I know that the Irish company that has just started to sell these machines have a tie-up with an American distributor. I could work on what you have told me and apply it to the Dominican market, working out how many pounds or litres in this case you would have to sell?

What about the water purification side of things, I know that when I have stayed in DR, it is a written rule that you do not drink anything from the tap?

Rizzle

Nov 14, 2004
personal drive?

hi i just wondered how you came about this idea and what helped drive you to get where you are today

Alex Hunt

May 13, 2004
www.dominicantours.info
Drive

How I came about this idea?
Well this could be a long story, I will keep it short!
The product has been around in Russia for some time and it uses simple parts except for the reactor that has some unique properties. To make the product requires electricity, water and salt that are all readily available.
The Russian machines require an operator to tweak the flow and current entering the reactor to obtain the correct solution.
My involvement so far is to supply a new way of controlling the flow and current autonomously using electrical equipment supplied through my current job.
I see many benefits for such a product and it is a shame it is not available off the shelf. For example units could be used to treat water in the Tsunami affected regions instead of shipping bottled water.
Environmentally the product is clean as it does not create any chemicals that cause danger to humans or the environment but is powerfull enough to kill dangerous bacteria etc
The Russians use it to spray on public transport to combat the SARS virus, treat food to feed to pigs to reduce mortality and medication, treat food and drink to prolong shelf life. Also used to clean infected wards in hospitals, water supply, air conditioning, dentistry - everywhere you need to kill bacteria basically!

I am always interested in top technology, and would like to be involved in such a product especially as it may bring commerical/enviromental benefit.

I am also interested in new solar/hydrogen technology in Australia that will see a new product in the next 7 years that will convert sunlight directly into Hydrogen without any moving parts.
Having just returned from Germany I have seen many new wind farms, it would be nice to solve DRs electricity shortage with this old idea!

Alex Hunt

May 13, 2004
www.dominicantours.info
Black Sigatoka

Just read with interest the article on Black Sigatoka affecting crops on DR1 index page.
Does anyone know the cost of lost crops to this fungi or how much it costs to spray for prevention?

"According to Porfirio Alvarez, a technician working with the Agricultural Business Board (JAD), Black Sigatoka has spread into the areas of the Central Cibao Valley, particularly Moca and La Vega, where it has not been a problem in the past and where the farmers have never had to spray their crops in prevention."