Need tips: I don't want to insult

Charlie Bebop

Nov 20, 2004
Hello all,

I will likely be travelling to Cabarete for New Years Eve and the following week. This will be my third visit to this lovely country. I expect to be on my own a little more this time since I'm not a teenager anymore (ill be 23). I would like some tips so that I don't accidentally offend or insult the people living there. I don't wanna look like an a$$hole.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you act like you would at home, assuming you are a decent enough sort, it is doubtful you will insult anyone. Can you be more explicit in what you are worried about? Insulting people is not a normal outcome. And it IS your third visit.

Last edited:

Charlie Bebop

Nov 20, 2004
ricktoronto said:
If you act like you would at home, assuming you are a decent enough sort, it is doubtful you will insult anyone. Can you be more explicit in what you are worried about? Insulting people is not a normal outcome. And it IS your third visit.

Many places tend to have specific things that insults (or sends the wrong message) to the locals. In some parts of Australia, if you take a shot of whiskey and turn it upside down on the bar it means you think you can take on anyone in the bar. In New York I hear that you aren't supposed to look anyone in the eyes while you are on the subway. I just wanted to know if there were any odd things like these that I should not do.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Charlie Bebop said:
Many places tend to have specific things that insults (or sends the wrong message) to the locals. In some parts of Australia, if you take a shot of whiskey and turn it upside down on the bar it means you think you can take on anyone in the bar. In New York I hear that you aren't supposed to look anyone in the eyes while you are on the subway. I just wanted to know if there were any odd things like these that I should not do.

I live in New York and it is absolutely OK to look someone in the EYE!

Charlie Bebop

Nov 20, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
I live in New York and it is absolutely OK to look someone in the EYE!

I dunno. I just read somewhere that you weren't supposed to. Since you say its ok I'm gonna guess that whoever wrote it was probably staring.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Charlie Bebob, just keep in mind that Dominicans are not thinned skinned (maybe a liitle dark skinned ;-), nor carry 'chips on their shoulders' for others to knock them down. Also, and most importantly, to show offense is culturally frowned upon. So Dominicans will not show offense easily, because if they do, they'll lose face. Sometimes you will find Dominicans trying to offend each other, and the looser is the one who can't quite manage to hide his/her offense. Try playing it, it's fun!

Mirador

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Charlie Bebop said:
I dunno. I just read somewhere that you weren't supposed to. Since you say its ok I'm gonna guess that whoever wrote it was probably staring.
Don't worry, I ride the subway everyday,unfortunately.
It's not nice to stare at anyone, without saying anything.
Go to the DR and have fun, just try to be respectful to the locals and you'll be fine.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Mirador said:
Charlie Bebob, just keep in mind that Dominicans are not thinned skinned (maybe a liitle dark skinned ;-), nor carry 'chips on their shoulders' for others to knock them down. Also, and most importantly, to show offense is culturally frowned upon. So Dominicans will not show offense easily, because if they do, they'll lose face. Sometimes you will find Dominicans trying to offend each other, and the looser is the one who can't quite manage to hide his/her offense. Try playing it, it's fun!

Mirador

A perfect example of this practice is the Dominican use of spontaneus nicknames based on someone's physical characteristics. If they run into someone and can't remember their name, they'll refer to them as "gordo/gorda" (fatty) "flaco/flaca" (skinny), or "moreno/morena" (darkey). Noone is offended, or if they are, they don't let on.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Don't worry about offending or pleasing. If you're true to yourself and show respect; :eek: not respect to wealth but respect to fellow human beings then you'd do ok. Dominicans are poor (70% +) but have a sense of dignity and respect not found in the "great north" they are also free of the stress associated with the 1st world. No one will insult you for a minor thing and you'll always treated with respect which is not related to your condition of a white skinned dollar/euro carryieng tourist.

Charlie Bebop

Nov 20, 2004
After reading the responses to this thread I like DR even more. The people I've run into the last two times have always seemed pretty good natured. Now I know its more than just being lucky. Thanks for the help everyone.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Charlie Bebop said:
Hello all,

I will likely be travelling to Cabarete for New Years Eve and the following week. This will be my third visit to this lovely country. I expect to be on my own a little more this time since I'm not a teenager anymore (ill be 23). I would like some tips so that I don't accidentally offend or insult the people living there. I don't wanna look like an a$$hole.
If you act like an ASSHOLE (or are an ASSHOLE), you will be treated like an ASSHOLE. An ASSHOLE is universally known. Dominicans know an ASSHOLE when they see one.